Hello Dolly

This topic is 2047 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Was in NYC last weekend (Aug. 18-19) and saw the show one final time. Although I enjoyed Bernadette Peters more, Bette Midler was still absolutely amazing to watch in the role as Dolly Levi. And I agree with edjames about Charlie Stemp. What a delight to see him perform. This revival was nothing short of remarkable in the amount of pure joy and happiness that it brought to those who saw it live, and it’s an experience I’ll never forget.

In six weeks I’ll be up in Cleveland for the National Tour Launch, and will be fortunate enough to see the show again when it hits Pittsburgh in Aug. 2019.

I can’t say enough good things about “Hello, Dolly!” on Broadway, and I hope the tour picks up right where tomorrow night leaves off.

42346073180_7a38f0a27e_c_d.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbor was sheepish about telling me about seeing Hello Dolly (as i know he has seen it multiple times). I am lucky as he is a big theater person and always invites me to his favorite productions. And, i don‘t really have many other friends who know theater as much as he does.

None of my friends or coworkers know, or even like, muscial theater. Zero conversation ability there. One coworker wants to see “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” next year when the tour comes through Pittsburgh, another the same with “Phantom of the Opera”. Other than the movie with Johnny Depp, and never seeing POTO movie, they’re basically clueless. My neighbor’s kids across the street are much more familiar with quite a few Broadway shows, which really surprises me considering their ages (10 and 12), the older one having a list of over 15 musicals she wants to listen to the OBCR of. I’m slowly educating and introducing her to more shows to add to her list.

None of my friends or coworkers know, or even like, muscial theater. Zero conversation ability there. One coworker wants to see “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” next year when the tour comes through Pittsburgh, another the same with “Phantom of the Opera”. Other than the movie with Johnny Depp, and never seeing POTO movie, they’re basically clueless.

I remember one time I was in rehearsal for a show, but was able to leave early one night, and since I'm without a car and the only way to get directly there and back is by car, I had to call a cab to get back to the train station. I was talking with the cabbie along the way - a guy probably in his late 20's - and he was curious about my work at the theatre. He wasn't a theatre person at all - but he did slay me when he said something like "but my girlfriend likes to drag me to shows sometimes. We've seen Blue Man Group, and Stomp (etc)..." - and it seemed to me that he had never actually ever seen a "real" play or musical before. (So, although I certainly would have suggested he come to our show - and in fact may have anyway - it was Sondheim's Pacific Overtures, and I doubt that would have been quite his style, lol.)

• 1 month later...

After two Preview Shows to launch the National Tour of “Hello, Dolly!” in Utica, NY, the tour “will celebrate its official opening with a Cleveland, Ohio, engagement beginning September 30th ahead of an Official Opening Night on October 5th.” Very excited that one week from today I’ll be there for it, seeing the show again the next day as well. This will be my first ever back-to-back of the same show with the same cast. Can’t wait to see Dolly again after seeing it in NYC with Bernadette and Bette, and now with Betty!

http://www.playbill.com/article/hello-dolly-national-tour-starring-betty-buckley-begins-september-25

http://www.playbill.com/article/well-hello-betty-get-a-first-look-at-tony-winner-betty-buckley-in-the-hello-dolly-tour

http://static.playbill.com/dims4/default/a42c5e3/2147483647/crop/720x405%2B0%2B197/resize/970x546/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.playbill.com%2F6c%2Fe6%2F92cbc8654bb5a51ab0a702ec1cdb%2Funknown-1.jpeg

Bette Midler and Carol Channing at Carol's home at Palm Springs -- not necessarily a recent photo. Channing is now 96-years old.

Saw Carol Channing play Dolly 20+ years ago when I was just a kid in Minneapolis. I was too young to understand how special it was to see her reprise the role, but I do remember how good she was.

1389787668952_carol-channing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...