Hello Dolly

This topic is 2038 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally jealous!! This is one show I'd love to see.

FYI, I saw Carol Channing on Broadway in her 1,999 performance of Dolly.

Saw it first with Betty Grable then later with Channing in a Broadway revival. She was amazing. Would love to see it with Bette. The show is so perfect and so simple it is timeless.

Saw Channing, Pearl Bailey, Martha Raye, Betty Grable, Ethel Merman and Ginger Rogers - all on Broadway. Strange that I saw it so many times as it is not one of my favorite shows! The Dollies drew me back again and again. My personal favorite was Betty Grable - she actually did a character rather than a tour-de-force.

Edited by N13

Saw Channing, Pearl Bailey, Martha Raye, Betty Grable, Ethel Merman and Ginger Rogers - all on Broadway. Strange that I saw it so many times as it is not one of my favorite shows! The Dollies drew me back again and again. My personal favorite was Betty Grable - she actually did a character rather than a tour-de-force.

I'd pay a small fortune to have seen Bailey. The stories I've been told about her performances are legendary in the theatre community.

How about the movie with Barbra? I loved it and Barbra was superb!!! I have watched it numerous times

Ah, the eternal divide: Barbara or Carol.

Myself, I prefer Channing. To me, Streisand felt wrong for the role. The only thing I've ever really liked her in was Funny Girl. I know, sacrilege :)

Ah, the eternal divide: Barbara or Carol.

Myself, I prefer Channing. To me, Streisand felt wrong for the role. The only thing I've ever really liked her in was Funny Girl. I know, sacrilege :)

I thought babs was great in the Fockers movies even thought it was a non-singing part. I also liked her in Yentl but I am a big fan of Mandys.

Her gay son Jason is hot and wish he was in more movies.

... she stopped the show several times with her singing in a supporting role in I Can Get It For You Wholesale

Ah, Wholesale... Streisand's 'Miss Marmelstein' number was indeed a showstopper.

This reminds me of the great bio by Howard Kissel on David Merrick, The Abominable Showman. It's a fantastic read- A bible of sorts for those interested in the heyday of Broadway and single-producer shows.

Merrick was quite a character. The stories in the book regarding the back & forth between a young (but headstrong) Streisand and the brash producer Merrick are great.

To me, Streisand felt wrong for the role.

Barbra has this tendency to "show her work" too much - she's not always one of those performers who likes to make things seem easy - she wants to telegraph just how damn hard she's working.

The opening number in the film, "Just Leave Everything To Me," is in some ways a much better song than "I Put My Hand In" from the stage show. But Barbra attacks it with such exasperated over-energy that it's an instant turnoff.

And yes, in general, I think she's totally wrong as Dolly. Channing had this odd caricature-style quirkiness, but she also had a great deal of warmth, which is what really made you care about her. Streisand really doesn't do warmth well, IMO.

Channing had this odd caricature-style quirkiness, but she also had a great deal of warmth, which is what really made you care about her.

29e4bfecc6d096d3114627bfa053d284.jpg

I have only seen Carol Channing on stage once with Mary Martin in "Legends." I agree Carol Channing was holding the play together, to the extent it was possible. The best moment was Mary Martin not being about to stop laughing when the male stripper said something to her.

I saw "Legends!" on a Saturday afternoon in Boston, by then Mary knew all her lines. Even years before "Legend!" Mary took longer that most people to leaning the lines, as far back as "South Pacific" and the revival of "The Skin of Our Teeth."

source: the recent Mary Martin bio. by David Kaufman

Edited by WilliamM

Fun to see Gary Beach listed on this poster, just before his career really took off (with his supporting roles in Beauty And The Beast and The Producers.)

And, while we're name-dropping, so fun to see that Jennifer Simard is playing Ernestina in this new Dolly revival. Last season, she got rave notices in Disaster! (and was nominated for a Tony). Years ago she played Sister Amnesia in the long-running Boston production of Nunsense when I was in as musical director. She was so damn funny, and a joy to work with. Ernestina is not a large role by any standards, but it'll be fun to see what she brings to it.