Liking term hospitalization and …

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm hospitalized for probably three to five more weeks. I'm getting better!

I have a problem. One nurses' Aide is non-verbal and at one point was down right hostile (" why are you calling for your urinal to be emptied? You should get another one," at 3 in the morning.)

She doesn't do what she's supposed to; doesn't talk; has extremely limited English. In this hospital, she's also first responder for question to the nurses.

To put it bluntly, I don't really want her to respond to my call bell. She doesn't understand me, doesn't respond, and I'm not sure how she got into health care.

I've been in medicine for 35 years and I'm uncomfortable dealing with this. I did complain about the urinal incident.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gallahadesquire, I'm sorry to read that you're looking at a long hospitalization. (Just read the other thread that explains the lead-up to this.)

I am not sure this is true in every hospital, or in every department of every hospital, but during my parents' last years we were lucky to meet a social worker who worked with the cardiac staff and patients. She introduced herself, handed me a card, and told me to call her if there was ever anything she could do for my family. I thought she a nice lady, but didn't know why I'd ever call her. Didn't take long to find out, and to realize that--more than just a nice lady--she was a godsend. Got us answers. Hooked us up to people who could help with particular issues over the course of repeated hospitalizations. Listened. Advocated.

By the time it came to the next parent and the next health crisis (cancer, this time) this same woman had transitioned to working with the oncology staff and patients. My mother started called her, "our guardian angel."

There's got to be somebody--administrator, supervisor, social worker, somebody--who will play this role for you. Perhaps with extra efficiency when s/he realizes that you are a healthcare professional too.

Best of luck.

I'm hospitalized for probably three to five more weeks. I'm getting better!

I have a problem. One nurses' Aide is non-verbal and at one point was down right hostile (" why are you calling for your urinal to be emptied? You should get another one," at 3 in the morning.)

She doesn't do what she's supposed to; doesn't talk; has extremely limited English. In this hospital, she's also first responder for question to the nurses.

To put it bluntly, I don't really want her to respond to my call bell. She doesn't understand me, doesn't respond, and I'm not sure how she got into health care.

I've been in medicine for 35 years and I'm uncomfortable dealing with this. I did complain about the urinal incident.

Most Hospitals have a Patients Advocate to whom you can complain -- It is a simple case of reassigning your room to another aide.

I feel your pain -- been there done that! -- I also told my primary doctor and asked him to address the matter with the director of nursing and he did!

It depends on the hospital, of course, but I would ask first to speak to the floor supervisor. Tell her that you would like to be assigned a different aide and tell her the reasons if she wishes to know. If reassignment is not possible for whatever reason require that only nurses answer your light during the night. If the nursing supervisor won't comply, ask to see the hospital ombudsperson or if need be the hospital administrator (you may have to call yourself). After all, it is your money and your health. Also, mention it to your doctor as soon as you see him or her. Stress how it is very bad for your sleep. Get well soon.

The hospital ombudsman if a great idea. in my experience, they have been especially sensitive lately to patient issues and even more so with physicians.

But...I would start with the little guns (nursing) first.

Since, unfortunately, you will be there a while there are likely to be some other issues, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump

I'm being dischard Friday. I have a question:

I've been on a small rehabilitation unit: 20 patients, two nurses, four aides. Id like to do something for these hard-working souls. Any suggestions?

1. Flowers: too evanescent? Too little exposure? (A lot of bed side contact here)
  2. Chocolates: EVERYBODY is on a diet, and there are always some pigs who'll grab too many …
  3. Promises I don't intend to keep: Disney's Beauty and the Beast comes to mind.

Maybe just a heart-felt card?

Suggestions! (Ive been here since February 10).

Bump

I've been on a small rehabilitation unit: 20 patients, two nurses, four aides. Id like to do something for these hard-working souls. Any suggestions?

1. Flowers: too evanescent? Too little exposure? (A lot of bed side contact here)
  2. Chocolates: EVERYBODY is on a diet, and there are always some pigs who'll grab too many …
  3. Promises I don't intend to keep: Disney's Beauty and the Beast comes to mind.

Hug every one of them as if they were your own and make sure you find the ones that aren't there and extend that to them as well. Show them your tears of gratitude and how much your rehabilitation means to you and the quality of your life going forward which they have helped you to succeed.

Remind them of your gratitude for the times they did things for you that you could not do for yourself. That will mean more to them than any gift you could send. Keep in touch with some of them and let them know how you're doing. There are some great people in our healthcare system and they are overworked and many under paid. Acknowledgement is often the greatest gift.

Cash never hurts. A wad of $20's. I'm sure even a $20 bill would be appreciated. Don't feel you have to give the same amount to everyone. $5's and $10's work too. Start giving out the money right away so you don't miss someone who's going to be off for a few days.

Rarely, but every once in a while, I tip the person in a hotel checking me in. Everyone else expects to be tipped from the shuttle driver, doorman, valet to the bellman. So I say everyone else gets tipped you should too. Especially nice if you're checking in for a long stay.

Whatever you do in terms of a gift, I would also suggest you get the full name of each person, and write a letter to the Administrator of the facility praising the care you received and mentioning each staff member by name. Sometimes this kind of gesture can contribute to the advancement of staff members, and even result in a bonus or raise down the line.

Bump

Send in a gourmet catered meal

Bump

Best wishes for your continuing recovery. Please remember you have friends on this site who are here to support you as you re-integrate into life "on the outside".

Some places have policies on employee gifts. I'd make sure they don't have one before buying any gifts.

I was in the rehab unit of a local hospital for almost a month after I broke my femur a few years ago. They had a coffee kiosk in the lobby of the hospital and I bought some $10 gift cards and gave them to a couple people on the nursing and physical therapy staff.

There was an occupational therapist that was great (she went to my condo one day and did an assessment and moved things around and made suggestions so I could return home as comfortable as possible) and a hot young nursing assistant who was a college student who was really sweet to me that I wanted to do more for. My company has great season seats to our local minor league baseball team and a client of mine owns a bar/gastropub a couple blocks from the ballpark and I gave them each 4 tickets to a Saturday night game along with a gift card for the gastropub.

As far as the nurses aid, I know you're about to be released but tell someone in charge you don't want them assigned to you. When I was in the Rehab hospital there was a nurses aid on the night shift I didn't like and I mentioned something to a nurse on another shift and she informed me most of the nursing staff didn't care for her but they are union and it's really hard to fire them after they've been there for a long time and she mentioned something to the nursing supervisor and he made sure when he did the assignments she was never assigned to me again.

I also complained to the occupational therapist about her and she agreed with me and said when I got the survey to be sure to complain about her by name. If your hospital sends out a survey to you make sure to complain about her by name (and of course mention the people that were really good by name as well)

Bump

YAY!!! You're getting out!!

Like @handiacefailure mentioned, a lot of workplaces have limits on what individual employees may accept in terms of gifts. I'm an OT - I've worked in rehab facilities, hospitals, etc before and I can tell you the best gifts are when patients come back months later to show us how well they're doing.

If you're inclined to offer a gift, consider something like bagels and coffee for the morning, or snacks like cookies and fruit for the day. Anything like that that can be shared is generally acceptable because it's not a gift to an individual. But, really, the biggest gift will be you getting the hell out and staying out :) - it means they have done their job and you get to return to your life.

Hug every one of them as if they were your own and make sure you find the ones that aren't there and extend that to them as well. Show them your tears of gratitude and how much your rehabilitation means to you and the quality of your life going forward which they have helped you to succeed.

Remind them of your gratitude for the times they did things for you that you could not do for yourself. That will mean more to them than any gift you could send. Keep in touch with some of them and let them know how you're doing. There are some great people in our healthcare system and they are overworked and many under paid. Acknowledgement is often the greatest gift.

+1,000,000

Whatever you do in terms of a gift, I would also suggest you get the full name of each person, and write a letter to the Administrator of the facility praising the care you received and mentioning each staff member by name. Sometimes this kind of gesture can contribute to the advancement of staff members, and even result in a bonus or raise down the line.

When I was a corpsman in the Army this was a common practice. If somebody was discharged after a long hospitalization, they wrote letters of appreciation to everybody who'd been involved in their care and sent them to personnel for insertion in your personnel jacket. It helped with promotions.

Cards are nice, with a personal note. When I worked at the VA hospital, we took care of guys with horrible head and neck cancers, sometimes for over a year before they died. The wife of one guy sent me a card after her man died and said "I'm sure there's a crown in heaven with your name on it for all you did for my poor _________." That was more than 40 years ago, and I haven't forgotten it. That's an impression.

Like Eric said: make a return visit, maybe even around a holiday time and make sure they realize you came specifically to wish THEM all well.

Many years ago I had a little patient who was very very ill for quite a long period of time before we got her over her troubles.

The family moved out of state. One day, 5 years later, I walked into the office and there she was, visiting with the office staff, she ran up to me with a great big smile and tears in her eyes and gave me the best hug! 20 years later I went to her wedding as a VIP!

Bump

I have never been on a nursing unit where food was turned down. If you know of a place that delivers and can afford to send a very nice lunch =/- a cake, I am sure it will be appreciated. Don't forget to include beverages.

Archived