Queen Elizabeth Becomes The First British Monarch To Celebrate Her Sapphire Jubilee

TruHart1
This topic is 2677 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have access to Netflix, Season 1 of "The Crown", which was created and written by Peter Morgan [who wrote the movie-The Queen and the play-The Audience] a somewhat fictionalized drama about Elizabeth II's ascension to the throne, (1947 through 1955) is quite good:

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/the-crown-season-2-770x433.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crown_(TV_series)

Season two is already in production.

TruHart1 :cool:

Well a Jubilee is traditionally 50th Anniversary so it would be Sapphire Anniversary or Sapphire Coronation Commemoration.

Congratulations to her.

Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee was celebrated in 1897, so using Jubilee in this context is not exactly new. EIIR had silver, golden and diamond jubilees. (I just did a different search and it noted that a jubilee is a celebration of an anniversary.)

Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee was celebrated in 1897, so using Jubilee in this context is not exactly new. EIIR had silver, golden and diamond jubilees. (I just did a different search and it noted that a jubilee is a celebration of an anniversary.)

The Jubilee Line on the London Underground was so named because it opened not long after ER II's silver jubilee, so we have definitely been breaking that convention (if it is one) for some time.

The Jubilee Line on the London Underground was so named because it opened not long after ER II's silver jubilee, so we have definitely been breaking that convention (if it is one) for some time.

Can you educate a hapless American? What does ER II (or EIIR in mike carey's previous post) mean? I'm guessing E II stands for Elizabeth II, but what does the R stand for?

Can you educate a hapless American? What does ER II (or EIIR in mike carey's previous post) mean? I'm guessing E II stands for Elizabeth II, but what does the R stand for?

It stands for Elizabeth [the second] Regina (queen). For a king it would be Charles Rex (or whatever his name was).

Jubilee is traditionally a 50th Anniversary...

... Jubilee is a celebration of [any] anniversary.

The Jubilee Line on the London Underground was so named because it opened not long after ER II's silver jubilee...

And to be sure we have this thoroughly covered, let's not fail to mention the excellent polish ...

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-16293822enh-z7.jpg

Jubilee Kitchen Wax cuts through grease, food stains and cooking film. It puts down a hard shine that protects surfaces without scratching. You can use it throughout the house (or palace) on countertops and cabinets, on bathroom fixtures and chrome faucets, or to buff up an old sovereign. Wherever you need a high-quality wax, Jubilee gets the job done!

If you have access to Netflix, Season 1 of "The Crown", which was created and written by Peter Morgan [who wrote the movie-The Queen and the play-The Audience] a somewhat fictionalized drama about Elizabeth II's ascension to the throne, (1947 through 1955) is quite good.

Really enjoyed the first season. John Lithgow is terrific as Churchill--just won a SAG award for his performance. And the bare bum of Matt Smith as young Prince Philip is another highlight of the show.

Words certainly grow and change in meaning. To say a fellow was gay in 1917 is certainly different than saying he is gay in 2017. OxfordEnglish denotes jubilee as a special anniversary celebration, especially 25 or 50 years. Using this term for 65 years is a broadening of that definition but I guess it is keeping with people celebrating their 1 month anniversary of marriage. Mazol Tov to Queen Elizabeth II on living to see this anniversary.

It stands for Elizabeth [the second] Regina (queen). For a king it would be Charles Rex (or whatever his name was).

"Regina" always makes me laugh because it sounds like "vagina". And I have the maturity of a 12 year old. :D

The Canadian city makes me giggle too. :rolleyes:

I was in London for the Silver Jubilee, and remember the excitement over the fact that she had been on the throne for a quarter century--the only other British monarch since Victoria who had lasted that long was George V, who died less than a year after his Silver Jubilee festivities. It seems hard to believe that the Jubilee Line (colored silver on Underground maps), which was the first new line that had been built in decades, is now 40 years old.

I was in London for the Silver Jubilee, and remember the excitement over the fact that she had been on the throne for a quarter century--the only other British monarch since Victoria who had lasted that long was George V, who died less than a year after his Silver Jubilee festivities. It seems hard to believe that the Jubilee Line (colored silver on Underground maps), which was the first new line that had been built in decades, is now 40 years old.

Well, shorts parts of it are. The northern end was originally the Bakerloo line, and the part east of Green Park was built for the turn of the millennium.

Interesting to note that the two Elizabeths were such strong queens with such long reigns.

That depends on how you define "strong." Elizabeth I had far more real political power than Elizabeth II, who is much more of a figurehead. The balance of power between the monarch and Parliament has shifted drastically over the last four centuries. In terms of popularity with their subjects, however, E2R probably can match E1R, and in each case it does depend to a large extent on the length (and stability) of their reigns.

That depends on how you define "strong." Elizabeth I had far more real political power than Elizabeth II, who is much more of a figurehead. The balance of power between the monarch and Parliament has shifted drastically over the last four centuries. In terms of popularity with their subjects, however, E2R probably can match E1R, and in each case it does depend to a large extent on the length (and stability) of their reigns.

I, of course, agree. As a matter of fact, you might state that Elizabeth I expanded royal power and pursuit of territory, while the second Elizabeth's power and pursuit for territory (if in fact there was any) has been significantly curtailed.

Thanks, mike carey! My best guess was "regnant," which is kinda close but no cigar. Many of us Americans don't pay much attention to the British royals, although Vegas party boy Prince Harry will always have a special spot in my heart :D

I, of course, agree. As a matter of fact, you might state that Elizabeth I expanded royal power and pursuit of territory, while the second Elizabeth's power and pursuit for territory (if in fact there was any) has been significantly curtailed.

Can those members of the board who are far more knowledgeable about the British royals enlighten this American about what powers the U.K. monarch has? Yes, I realize that Elizabeth II is a figurehead with no official power, but that doesn't necessarily mean she has no influence. I once heard that Queen Elizabeth used to speak with former Prime Minister Tony Blair almost daily. Wow, is that true?? Does the Queen still speak regularly with current PM Theresa May? Also, even with no official power, by sheer virtue of their title and position, Queen Elizabeth (or Prince Charles, Prince William) has a powerful public voice. Does the monarch or other members of the royal family ever take a public position on issues of the day? For example, did any of the royals express an opinion on Brexit?

Also, what exactly does the Queen do? From my vantage point, it seems she mostly makes public appearances for worthy causes and gives speeches to promote charities, but like I said, I don't follow the royals much. Does the reigning monarch have other duties, whether official or implicitly expected?

In reply to BSR:

The Prime Minister goes to visit the Queen almost every week for about an hour. PM briefs Queen of the affairs of the nation - PMs are said to welcome the chance to discuss matters with the Queen, as in 65 years she is yet to repeat anything that she has been told. The Queen can question and advise the PM, but not tell them what to do.

The Queen's role is to stay above Politics - she does not offer an opinion on anything political. There are occasional news stories about her views - but they fall into the anonymous report category and cannot be proved. Prince Charles has taken public positions on a few things - climate change for example, as is known to have lobbied Ministers on many issues.

You are correct that the Queen has little actual power, but given her popularity and longevity I think it is fair to say that she would have a lot of influence if she chose to use it. She gets to see any Government paper she wants - and no one knows what she says weekly to the PM - none of us will know what she may or may not have changed.

As to day to day duties - yes she opens things, supports charities, good causes and the armed services, and makes public appearances. One thing that only she can do, is to host a State Visit - this is in the news at the moment with the invitation to the US President. For a very small country, we have a long list of world leaders who want the horse drawn carriage ride up the Mall, the State Banquet and the night in Buckingham Palace.

Archived