Best Italian in NYC?

Brian Kevin
This topic is 2654 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hoping to get to a really nice Italian restaurant in NYC, anyone have any recommendations? I'm going to hit The Village tonight to find food and entertainment. Tomorrow I'm off to the East Village to go visit Enchantment Inc!

Open to all suggestions. Also looking for some really good french onion soup & BLACK BEAN SOUP!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoping to get to a really nice Italian restaurant in NYC, anyone have any recommendations? I'm going to hit The Village tonight to find food and entertainment. Tomorrow I'm off to the East Village to go visit Enchantment Inc!

Open to all suggestions. Also looking for some really good french onion soup & BLACK BEAN SOUP!

Try Carmine's on I think 44th street. Went there 2 years ago. Fabulous!!! There are actually two in NYC.

hey man....

if i am not too late, would strongly recommend a place called

GNOCCO

on east 10th street in the east village.... a bit off the beaten track, around avenue B

lemme know if you try it or need additional recommendations from a solid new york foodie here!!!

hey man....

if i am not too late, would strongly recommend a place called

GNOCCO

on east 10th street in the east village.... a bit off the beaten track, around avenue B

lemme know if you try it or need additional recommendations from a solid new york foodie here!!!

I skipped Italian tonight as I had something pop up unexpectedly. I am gonna go for dinner tomorrow night and get Italian. I am headed to East Village tomorrow to go to Enchantment Inc so this may work out perfectly !

hey man, if you mean enchantment the store on east 9th street then it should work out well...

gnocco is a quirky kind of place.... very very innovative while loyal to italian cuisine and the chef is extremely serious and dedicated to producing a quality product - it is a place that is truly dedicated to excellence without pomposity

i totally hope you get to try it, that you love it, and that you let me/us know how it goes!

(ohhh... and welcome to NYC!!!)

hey man, if you mean enchantment the store on east 9th street then it should work out well...

gnocco is a quirky kind of place.... very very innovative while loyal to italian cuisine and the chef is extremely serious and dedicated to producing a quality product - it is a place that is truly dedicated to excellence without pomposity

i totally hope you get to try it, that you love it, and that you let me/us know how it goes!

(ohhh... and welcome to NYC!!!)

Yess! Enchament Inc. is the name of the store, we're both talking about the same thing. It's very hard to find a chef who is that serious and loves his food that much. You can truly taste that in peoples food, when they put their heart, soul, tears and sweat into it! I'm excited to check this place out, worked out well since I'm gonna be headed that way tomorrow.

Seriously...you people sent him to Carmines?

Lord help me.

please...Please....PLEASE go to Il Mulino (upscale)....or Gnocco (basic)...if you want NYC Italian.

If you're an NYU Freshman from Missouri...then please enjoy Carmine's....with your 22 Frat Brothers.

The REST of you?...please surrender your NYC Gay Card.

CARMINES ??? Seriously ? Tacky tourist trap !... There are dozens of better Italian Restaurants in NYC. In Greenwich Village, I highly recommend: ISodi or Rafele. For an old school Italian experience I love Monte's Trattoria on MacDougal Street. You can't go wrong with any of those. ( ...and yes, if you want to spend $$$ IlMulino is definitely in the upper stratosphere of fine Italian dining in NYC.)

Seriously...you people sent him to Carmines?

Lord help me.

please...Please....PLEASE go to Il Mulino (upscale)....or Gnocco (basic)...if you want NYC Italian.

If you're an NYU Freshman from Missouri...then please enjoy Carmine's....with your 22 Frat Brothers.

The REST of you?...please surrender your NYC Gay Card.

LOL!

A decent place that is, moderately priced, and run by real Italians. Great soups for a first course by the way. Tell the owner Constantino that Tommy recommended the place. You might get a free Tiramisu out of the deal. It has worked all but one time for me...

Nocello

257 W 55th

Then hit the Eagle Leather Bar

554 W 28th

A decent place that is, moderately priced, and run by real Italians. Great soups for a first course by the way. Tell the owner Constantino that Tommy recommended the place. You might get a free Tiramisu out of the deal. It has worked all but one time for me...

Nocello

257 W 55th

Then hit the Eagle Leather Bar

554 W 28th

Omg talk about a tourist trap that will bankrupt him! Forget Nocello.

Forget carmines also.

Il Mullino is great.

For Michelin ** Italian Marea can't be beat. If you want a great experience Del Posto.

Omg talk about a tourist trap that will bankrupt him! Forget Nocello.

Forget carmines also.

Il Mullino is great.

For Michelin ** Italian Marea can't be beat. If you want a great experience Del Posto.

Well, unless Nocello is under new management or they revamped their prices and suddenly put out a neon sign neither is true. (I just checked and the prices are in line with my memory.)

Yes, Carmines is a tourist trap, but it's good value for what you get if you want that sort of family style large portion dining. A good trick if you are only two people is to go to the bar to be seated if you are in a hurry.

In contrast Il Mulino, which is more upscale and part of a mini chain of restaurants, is much pricier than either.

Marea is upscale and mostly seafood on 59th aka Central Park south.

Regarding Del Posto, I was never impressed with Mario Batali's version of Italian. (However, Joe and Lidia Bastianich the other partners have it together in my book.) Again not inexpensive!! And if you want Lidia there's always Becco on restaurant row for good value. Of course some will say that's a tourist trap as well, but a tourist in the know.

Like always I call 'em like I see 'em.

Most of the Italian Restaurants in midtown near Times Square are somewhat "dumbed down" for the tourists. I recommend heading to Greenwich Village which was an Italian enclave and still maintains a large Italian population if you want the best stuff. I agree Il Mulino is indeed EXPENSIVE. Lidia Bastianich has been my inspiration for much of my own cooking, but I have to say her Restaurant in the Theatre district was disappointing in it's generic quality.

Archived