Best Italian in NYC?

Brian Kevin
This topic is 2655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But there's nothing Italian about Le Bernardin. ??

LOL! Yes! It's French! And I nerver referenced it as being Italian or even recommended it. Indeed I would NEVER go there... see below!

If you reread my original post (the one where @LookingAround was concerned with a since corrected typo) I was referencing a bartender in NYC with whom I have become friendly when I visit the City. She is an expert of sorts on the restaurant scene in NYC and has been to every type of restaurant from corner deli's to Le Bernardin. She is the person who advises that at the right time and with the right people Carmine's can be the perfect choice. Indeed she is quite knowledgeable about the NYC restaurant scene including, for example, the number of the best table to ask for at certain restaurants if you want to have a romantic experience. (She actually helped to postpone the demise a friend and fellow forum poster's marriage by suggesting such a table!) Plus at times you are looking for that perfect kosher pickle or some authentic Greek moussaka. She knows the best places. She has even mentioned restaurants that are located in the same building that share kitchens... so if you want to experience chef "so and so's" recipes on the cheap you can do so and need not break the bank. As an example (and I know it ain't Italian) there's Nougatine (next to Jean Grorges). She also recommends the bar menu at Marea which obviously is Italian!

For the record seafood does not agree with me so I most likely won't be going to either Le Bernardin or Marea!

LOL! Yes! It's French! And I nerver referenced it as being Italian or even recommended it. Indeed I would NEVER go there... see below!

If you reread my original post (the one where @LookingAround was concerned with a since corrected typo) I was referencing a bartender in NYC with whom I have become friendly when I visit the City. She is an expert of sorts on the restaurant scene in NYC and has been to every type of restaurant from corner deli's to Le Bernardin. She is the person who advises that at the right time and with the right people Carmine's can be the perfect choice. Indeed she is quite knowledgeable about the NYC restaurant scene including, for example, the number of the best table to ask for at certain restaurants if you want to have a romantic experience. (She actually helped to postpone the demise a friend and fellow forum poster's marriage by suggesting such a table!) Plus at times you are looking for that perfect kosher pickle or some authentic Greek moussaka. She knows the best places. She has even mentioned restaurants that are located in the same building that share kitchens... so if you want to experience chef "so and so's" recipes on the cheap you can do so and need not break the bank. As an example (and I know it ain't Italian) there's Nougatine (next to Jean Grorges). She also recommends the bar menu at Marea which obviously is Italian!

For the record seafood does not agree with me so I most likely won't be going to either Le Bernardin or Marea!

Carmine's doesn't agree with ME ! ha Terrible tourist food. Might as well go to the Olive Garden for half the price.

Carmine's doesn't agree with ME ! ha Terrible tourist food. Might as well go to the Olive Garden for half the price.

Actually I find Carmine's to be a bit heavy on the sodium for my taste, but their eggplant is reasonably decent as is their artichoke. If you are going to go the tourista route I find that Tony's di Napoli at West 43rd the other side of Times Square is actually much better. If you are only a couple of people they have a bar menu where you don't have to order the usual large portions or even an entire portion. I find their eggplant to be better than Carmine's and they are less heavy on the salt.

Please, I'm not saying that either is top of the line Italian. If I lived in the City I would not ever be seen in either as I could do much better at home. However, for a few guys who are in the City for "other" activities they often fit the bill nicely if you feel like having Italian. Well, being Italian I would prefer to do something such as Thai, but as my grandfather always said, "Everybody likes Italian!" So I'm usually outnumbered when it comes to a choice of a restaurant!

IMO Nougatine is nowhere near as good as Jean-Georges and the price differential is not enough to make it a better value at least to me.

Le Bernardin is extraordinary. Was lucky enough to have Christmas dinner there this past December.

Archived