Cute Critters to Take Our Minds Off Everyday Stresses

quoththeraven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two new types of moles, named Talpa hakkariensis and Talpa davidiana tatvanensis, have been living in the mountains of eastern Turkey in Bitlis.

Scientists say the new moles can survive in temperatures of up to 122 degrees Fahrenheit in summer and under 6 feet of snow in winter, noting the discovery is particularly exciting as it’s rare to find new species of mammal.

The study, published in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society in July, was conducted by researchers from Ondokuz Mayıs university in Turkey, Indiana University and England’s University of Plymouth.

“It is very rare to find new species of mammals today,” said senior author David Bilton, professor of aquatic biology at the University of Plymouth. “There are only around 6,500 mammal species that have been identified across the world and, by comparison, there are around 400,000 species of beetles known, with an estimated 1 to 2 million on Earth.”

“Superficially, the new moles we have identified in this study appear similar to other species, since living underground imposes serious constraints on the evolution of body size and shape — there are a limited number of options available for moles, really,” Bilton noted.

After discovering the moles, researchers used “cutting-edge DNA technology” to compare their DNA to that of other moles and found the Turkish critters are biologically distinct.

The study’s authors say the new moles are “subterranean, invertebrate-eating mammals,” found across Europe and Western Asia. They said the discovery points out that just how extensive the diversity of mammals is can be misunderstood.

“Our study highlights how, in such circumstances, we can underestimate the true nature of biodiversity,” Bilton said, “even in groups like mammals, where most people would assume we know all the species with which we share the planet.”

A mole in the dirt.The moles could have been living in the Turkish mountains for 3 million years.   Mole emerging from molehill. Scientists said it’s rare to find new mammal species.  
NYPICHPDPICT000021748528.jpg?quality=75&
NYPOST.COM

"Going underground" has a whole new meaning.

5 hours ago, samhexum said:

Two new types of moles, named Talpa hakkariensis and Talpa davidiana tatvanensis, have been living in the mountains of eastern Turkey in Bitlis.

Scientists say the new moles can survive in temperatures of up to 122 degrees Fahrenheit in summer and under 6 feet of snow in winter, noting the discovery is particularly exciting as it’s rare to find new species of mammal.

The study, published in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society in July, was conducted by researchers from Ondokuz Mayıs university in Turkey, Indiana University and England’s University of Plymouth.

“It is very rare to find new species of mammals today,” said senior author David Bilton, professor of aquatic biology at the University of Plymouth. “There are only around 6,500 mammal species that have been identified across the world and, by comparison, there are around 400,000 species of beetles known, with an estimated 1 to 2 million on Earth.”

“Superficially, the new moles we have identified in this study appear similar to other species, since living underground imposes serious constraints on the evolution of body size and shape — there are a limited number of options available for moles, really,” Bilton noted.

After discovering the moles, researchers used “cutting-edge DNA technology” to compare their DNA to that of other moles and found the Turkish critters are biologically distinct.

The study’s authors say the new moles are “subterranean, invertebrate-eating mammals,” found across Europe and Western Asia. They said the discovery points out that just how extensive the diversity of mammals is can be misunderstood.

“Our study highlights how, in such circumstances, we can underestimate the true nature of biodiversity,” Bilton said, “even in groups like mammals, where most people would assume we know all the species with which we share the planet.”

A mole in the dirt.The moles could have been living in the Turkish mountains for 3 million years.   Mole emerging from molehill. Scientists said it’s rare to find new mammal species.  

NYPICHPDPICT000021748528.jpg?quality=75&
NYPOST.COM

"Going underground" has a whole new meaning.

I found two new moles today as well.  But those were on my shoulder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, samhexum said:
Phillies fan tried to get into game with alligator

Fan denied entry to Phillies game with emotional support alligator 

unfortunately, the 'emotional support peacock' thread is closed, but this fits here, too.

A fan was denied entry into Citizens Bank Park on Wednesday when he attempted to get in with an emotional support alligator, per multiple reports.

I'm thinking it's the alligator that needs the support.  :classic_unsure:

They're cute to me...  beauty in the eye of the beholder 🥰 2 out of 4 of my beloved animals are these two American bulldogs. 
I guess they're cute enough to come with me to my overnight commitment tonight in BH ( Los Angeles )  I know it sounds unusual but I've taken comfort and appreciated living and leading an unusual but colorful life. 

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_6747.png

IMG_2387.jpeg

Edited by Vin_Marco