Feud: Bette and Joan

lkbreth
This topic is 2664 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Like Davis, My dad's oldest sister was born in Lowell, Massachusetts in 1908. They were very different people, except both my aunt and Bette Davis were both exceptionally determined people, except my aunt was likely much more nice about it. Life in a New England mill city.

I have zero connection with Joan Crawford in any way, and glad of it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can say in all honesty that I NEVER liked either of them.

I always thought Bette Davis over acted everything she did. Even Davis’ running mascara became tiresome after a while.

To me no matter what role Joan Crawford played she ALWAYS came across as a fucking bitch. Additionally I NEVER found her elegant or attractive.

They were the two 30’s and 40’s actresses that I have NOT missed.

Boooooooooo Bette would go upside your head with a brass lamp!

Joan Fontaine, semi-talented sister of Olivia de Havilland, who is one of the greats. There's another feud for Murphy to dramatize. Fontaine's supposed beauty and charm always escaped me, while Olivia was golden.

I believe it was in the 1980's I visited a friend in New York City, who was on staff of one of the ultra-rich. The front elevator was out of order limiting everyone to the staff elevator. I was just nicely inside the elevator when Joan Fontaine entered. In person, for me, her beauty and charm were all-consuming. She immediately volunteered a cordial "hello," and "have a nice evening" when I exited the elevator. Her cosmetology, attire, and accessories were what one would expect to see in the scene of an elegant-dress evening affair on screen. I was star-struck.

I stand corrected, although my comments were based on her screen appearances, it is always nice to hear positive stories about famous people. I once met Susan Hayward and had the same reaction you did to Fontaine. She was incredibly beautiful, vivacious, friendly and had a wonderful laugh. I personally grieved when we lost her at age 58. She seems to be forgotten today in spite of her stardom and multiple acting awards. I always admired her for taking chances with some gritty roles like death-row inmate Barbara Graham in "I Want to Live" (AA 1958).

...I once met Susan Hayward and had the same reaction you did to Fontaine. She was incredibly beautiful, vivacious, friendly and had a wonderful laugh ...She seems to be forgotten today in spite of her stardom and multiple acting awards. I always admired her for taking chances with some gritty roles like death-row inmate Barbara Graham in "I Want to Live" (AA 1958).

+1

... and just to tie this back to the thread topic, allegedly, when Davis heard Hayward referred to as "a bargain basement Bette Davis," she said, "Bargain basement, definitely. Bette Davis, never." (Okay, so she could be a little nasty...)

If she actually said it, it was probably after they made "Where Love Has Gone" together (1964). Davis, only nine years older, played Hayward's mother, and got second billing. Rumor has it she was not all that nice on the set.

02658d6d4f2db9c0087a4f66c5ad6ebd.jpg

In latter years Joan Fontaine's adult daughter, while in Paris, arranged a visit with her aunt, Olivia de Havilland, whom she hadn't seen or spoken to in years. Supposedly they had a very pleasant and enjoyable meeting. Once Joan Fontaine found out about the meeting she NEVER spoke to her daughter again - EVER. How nice!!!!!

If you consider Bette's full filmography, you might agree with me that she defined the term "film actress". If you haven't seen her in her heyday, don't judge her til you have. It wasn't just "running mascara".

Davis's work in "The Letter" and "Now, Voyager" are two of my favorites, even if the ending of the latter is esoteric. "All About Eve" is in a category all its own.

If you consider Bette's full filmography, you might agree with me that she defined the term "film actress". If you haven't seen her in her heyday, don't judge her til you have. It wasn't just "running mascara".

Any broad who can say, in one of her last TV interviews (60 Minutes?), "Getting old ain't for sissies" is probably one of us.

That dame was better at dissing than any gay man has ever been.

Any broad who can say, in one of her last TV interviews (60 Minutes?), "Getting old ain't for sissies" is probably one of us.

That dame was better at dissing than any gay man has ever been.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R2oDyYyHjfQ/UhE5oYrN2_I/AAAAAAAABAQ/wFLzobwLvto/s1600/bette-davis-old-age-no-for-sissies.jpg

From Shazam - this is called "Something For Cat" from the soundtrack for Breakfast at Tiffany's by Henry Mancini.

thanks a lot for that!....just downloaded from itunes.....that "lounge" music is great......but sounds even better with the video of a classic Chevy rolling down the PCH!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived