Feud: Bette and Joan

lkbreth
This topic is 2664 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excited about the subject, the concept, the actresses.

Not excited about Ryan Murphy. His shows are awful.

I guess the Hollywood Foreign Press didnt get YOUR memo, and awarded him a shitload of Golden Globes for "The People vs OJ" limited series event. Also his American Crime stories series is doing great, and American Horror Story continues to fascinate. So much for awful....

These shows based on recent famous people from recent history are always especially diverting to those of us old enough to have lived through the actual events. We are at once more interested and more critical. It usually starts with the physical appearance of the actors or actresses. In this case, Sarandon is much closer to Davis in appearance than Lange is to Crawford, but they both have the talent to disappear into a role. It has the potential to be brilliant and I can't wait to see it.

These shows based on recent famous people from recent history are always especially diverting to those of us old enough to have lived through the actual events. We are at once more interested and more critical. It usually starts with the physical appearance of the actors or actresses. In this case, Sarandon is much closer to Davis in appearance than Lange is to Crawford, but they both have the talent to disappear into a role. It has the potential to be brilliant and I can't wait to see it.

Part of the experience is suspending belief.. In this case Both ladies are stellar actresses, and I am sure will pull this off and make us BELIEVE ? Lange ALWAYS becomes her character.

You know, I always loved Bette. She was so out there. Joan, on the other hand was so piss elegant, yet needy that she gave me a pain in my ass. I enjoyed her movies, (especially her early ones), but didn't like her.

Pausing from reminding Crawford (again) that Franchot Tone always said she gave better blowjobs than Joan did, Bette thanks you.

Angelenos can relate to Bette Davis's famous advice (cut-and-paste from wiki):

In Los Angeles, Fountain Avenue is a minor east-west street, between and parallel to Sunset Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard, two very congested arteries. Therefore, when Johnny Carson asked Bette Davis for advice on "the best way an aspiring starlet could get into Hollywood," Ms. Davis replied without hesitation, "Take Fountain!"[3]

4466040281_5d719a55af_z.jpg

In Los Angeles, Fountain Avenue is a minor east-west street, between and parallel to Sunset Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard, two very congested arteries. Therefore, when Johnny Carson asked Bette Davis for advice on "the best way an aspiring starlet could get into Hollywood," Ms. Davis replied without hesitation, "Take Fountain!"[3]

And there's art ...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6889115639_92b1cc725a.jpg

Excited about the subject, the concept, the actresses.

Not excited about Ryan Murphy. His shows are awful.

I personally can't think of anyone other than Murphy who could potentially do this show.

Although I agree both he and the show have a lot of potential for campy excess, the EW article indicates that this was restrained. I also found it interesting that Lange had never seen Mommie Dearest, which is also good in a sense that she won't be able to pull any of that either consciously or subconsciously for her portrayal.

I personally can't think of anyone other than Murphy who could potentially do this show.

Although I agree both he and the show have a lot of potential for campy excess, the EW article indicates that this was restrained. I also found it interesting that Lange had never seen Mommie Dearest, which is also good in a sense that she won't be able to pull any of that either consciously or subconsciously for her portrayal.

I'll definitely watch this one. Look fascinating. (And just to be up front, I did not watch the OJ thing; maybe Mr Murphy now makes television I will enjoy ;) )

I can say in all honesty that I NEVER liked either of them.

I always thought Bette Davis over acted everything she did. Even Davis’ running mascara became tiresome after a while.

To me no matter what role Joan Crawford played she ALWAYS came across as a fucking bitch. Additionally I NEVER found her elegant or attractive.

They were the two 30’s and 40’s actresses that I have NOT missed.

In this case, Sarandon is much closer to Davis in appearance than Lange is to Crawford…

At first glance, I thought Lange looked more like Joan Fontaine than Joan Crawford. Still, unless the scripts simply stink, the series should be campy fun, even if not great art.

At first glance, I thought Lange looked more like Joan Fontaine than Joan Crawford. Still, unless the scripts simply stink, the series should be campy fun, even if not great art.

Joan Fontaine, semi-talented sister of Olivia de Havilland, who is one of the greats. There's another feud for Murphy to dramatize. Fontaine's supposed beauty and charm always escaped me, while Olivia was golden.

Archived