George Michael is dead

topinla
This topic is 2696 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to his publicist he "died peacefully at home". Given the range of people that have told me they barebacked him, and the fact that in a documentary a few years ago he talked about his fear of HIV and consequent refusal to get tested I have to wonder if it was AIDS related.

Some readers may recall this article about his arrest in a public restroom in Beverly Hills, CA.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/09/local/me-37715

Back in those days, when he was in Los Angeles, he could occasionally be seen in one famous bar on Santa Monica Boulevard (now closed) that was well known to this forum.

So many people younger than me are being taken. I'm experiencing survivor-guilt.

Ironically, I actually didn't realize he was quite as young as he was. He's just about a year older than me. I stll remember being in college when "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" (and "Careless Whisper" etc) became such a big hit - I actually had no idea that he was college age at the time as well.

I always thought that his music was very uneven. Some of it seemed schmaltzy, sappy, or overblown, but then he'd come out with a song or a video that would really cut right through me. He could be the coolest of the cool, with sharp and sexy lyrics, a sound that pushed the envelope, and an image that showed how handsome and in touch with his own look he was.

Then this happened:

George Michael's presence on the stage with Queen for the Freddie Mercury tribute concert demonstrated what a powerful performer he could be.

Some readers may recall this article about his arrest in a public restroom in Beverly Hills, CA.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/09/local/me-37715

Back in those days, when he was in Los Angeles, he could occasionally be seen in one famous bar on Santa Monica Boulevard (now closed) that was well known to this forum.

He made a great video and song about it. Apparently one of the cops sued him for emotional abuse or some nonsense over it. Talk about coming out on top of it all. One of the greats. An icon that will be missed.

I remember getting together with this cute couple who had just modeled for the video. The guy in the cowboy hat.

According to his publicist he "died peacefully at home". Given the range of people that have told me they barebacked him, and the fact that in a documentary a few years ago he talked about his fear of HIV and consequent refusal to get tested I have to wonder if it was AIDS related.

It was heart failure. Not saying it's not connected but people die from it all the time.

What a talent. The only one who was able to match, and even improve Freddy Mercury's interpretations. One of the last survivors from the 80. Adios Whitney H, Michael J, Prince, and now this. Who is left? Madonna? I remember Buenos Aires nights, disco Bunker, making out and having sex listening to his music. Fuck 2016.

Madonna takes really good care of herself so I see her getting old and enjoying life.

In the US HIV test consent is a separate level unto itself- in many states its a separate test order form completely from EVERYTHING else. That separation dates back to when the condition was untreatable and knowing was likely to lead to losing your job, your home, etc. There had been a push in recent years to remove that separate level now that it's a treatable condition.

It's probably state by state in the US. Many years ago in California, checking for HIV used to require a separate consent--the only test I can think of off-hand where the patient's separate consent was needed. This requirement was dropped once HIV became so effectively treatable. We doctors need to know certain information in order to provide effective treatment, so, thank God, we don't need patients' separate consent for each individual test, or any test. Anyone at risk who refuses to be tested for HIV is a complete imbecile. What might be more likely would be for a person to state publicly he refuses to be tested so that he doesn't have to discuss the results--though I would generally assume anyone at risk who refuses to be tested is likely to be infected. Even before California dropped its requirement for separate consent, I could check the patient's CD4/T-Helper count to let me know if I needed to look for opportunistic infections which wouldn't be an issue in other patients.

I have lots of patients around 50 who have heart failure. The vast majority of them are users of stimulants, especially methamphetamines in my neck of the woods, and alcohol (sometimes just one of those two, if used heavily enough). The left side of the heart normally pumps out some 50 to 70% of its volume to the body. Those who use these drugs often show up with large, floppy hearts which can only pump out 15% or less. Fascinatingly, when these patients are informed of the effects of the drugs and alcohol, and stay sober, I have very often seen their echocardiograms revert to completely normal within 6 months. The heart goes back to normal size, and pumps out 65%. When they go back to using, however, things go badly quickly, and I end up signing their death certificates. Unlike smoking, where lung damage is permanent, amphetamine/alcohol effects on the heart are completely reversible.

I wonder if they'll do toxicology testing on him. In the US, death certificates are a matter of public record. I'm not sure if that's the case in the UK. Of course, there are inherited forms of cardiomyopathy, and it's possible that he had that, but given his history, I would be surprised to learn that alcohol and/or drugs, weren't involved.

He was a great artist. One of the icons and legends. A great voice and a remarkable musician. He had his demons and his life was cut short no doubt by some remarkably bad choices. I care to think how he made us richer by his music. RIP George Michael. Careless Whispers...

Then this happened:

I was certainly an "on again / off again" fan of George Michael.

He was an amazingly talented artist with several demons.

But.....

covering "Somebody to Love"...

with Queen...

at the Freddy Mercury tribute concert...

in Wembley Stadium....

Are you fucking kidding me???....no sane human would take on that task.

But not only does he take it on....he channels Freddy flawlessly...

and triumphs every step of the way! Including working the crowd

into a frenzy....in a way that previously only Freddy could.

It was one of George Michael's greatest moments of genius....and he had many.

RIP

I was certainly an "on again / off again" fan of George Michael.

He was an amazingly talented artist with several demons.

But.....

covering "Somebody to Love"...

with Queen...

at the Freddy Mercury tribute concert...

in Wembley Stadium....

Are you fucking kidding me???....no sane human would take on that task.

But not only does he take it on....he channels Freddy flawlessly...

and triumphs every step of the way! Including working the crowd

into a frenzy....in a way that previously only Freddy could.

It was one George Michael's greatest moments of genius....and he had many.

RIP

Very much agree that the Wembly performance was tremendous and really enjoyed watching that video again - thank you.

I was surprised, after reading a Yahoo article about George's death, that the "Comments" section (from readers) had so many virulently anti-gay messages ("this Sodomite can rot in hell"). Makes me wonder how far America has actually progressed in our tolerance and acceptance of sexual diversity.

I was surprised, after reading a Yahoo article about George's death, that the "Comments" section (from readers) had so many virulently anti-gay messages ("this Sodomite can rot in hell"). Makes me wonder how far America has actually progressed in our tolerance and acceptance of sexual diversity.

There is hatred everywhere, it's the way of the world. I pay it no mind....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/12/26/JS116684275_AP_George-Michael-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqXW61vz_3bSmK0KpgrSXHYVQT-TOeW9UqJSkc6ZKG1go.jpg

His secret donations to charity

Quietly generous, Michael's many acts of kindness have begun to be revealed since his death.

A couple who desperately wanted a baby but could not afford fertility treatment and a debt-ridden student nurse were among those who he secretly donated small chunks of his fortune to.

The pop icon’s silent acts of philanthropy over the years added up to millions of pounds, it is now thought, as recipients began to come forward to reveal how his generosity changed lives.

Lynette Gillard, 38, from Bolton, received £15,000 from an anonymous donor in 2008 after her husband at the time Stephen appeared on the game show Deal or No Deal but walked away with £3000 - £5000 short of the amount needed for a round of IVF treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DEoUpW-cc

The show’s former executive producer Richard Osman announced on Twitter that after a contestant said they needed money for fertility treatment, “George Michael secretly phoned the next day” and said he wanted to donate the thousands of pounds the couple needed.

Last night Ms Gillard said: “For many years I wondered who would have been so generous and now I know. What more can I say other than thank you George.”

A spokesman for Deal or No Deal would not confirm whether Ms Gillard’s mystery donation was from Michael, saying: “Anonymous donations are kept private in line with the donor’s wishes."

George Michael was an iconic figure in the global music industry

The author and journalist Sali Hughes said that Michael once tipped a barmaid £5,000 because she was a student nurse who was in debt.

She added that Michael was the only star on the celebrity version of the game show Who Wants To Be a Millionaire who felt comfortable gambling with all the money he had raised for his chosen charity because he had decided he would pay back the money out of his own pocket if he lost.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/12/26/JS116702660_PA_George-Michael-death-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq-eXszlq6aKtOAw8iUxAjzhZsPviH-RJczBPXW83Hh7U.jpg

I too looked on some of the sites like Yahoo News and the utter hatred for this man from supposed Christians was over whelming. The usual cherry picked BS bible quotes. If they were real Christians and not utter hypocrites they would cherish this man as we do here. No other way of looking at it.

What is different though is the normal people defending him and us. I'm glad they're doing it. It's literally shining the light of truth on their darkness. I'm not getting involved though. You're up against a brick wall as far as any good it will do on them.

This is why when someone says their Christian I automatically assume the worst out of them until proven different. The best ones are the ones that do it by action. It usually never comes to that.

I too looked on some of the sites like Yahoo News and the utter hatred for this man from supposed Christians was over whelming. The usual cherry picked BS bible quotes. If they were real Christians and not utter hypocrites they would cherish this man as we do here.

+1

Like members of my family who are evangelical Christians. They always stand behind their Bible verses. I prefer to celebrate the man and all the good he did, I'll leave the speculation and hatred to others.

Archived