Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg?...a question for the opera queens

nycman
This topic is 2727 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Die Meistersinger is glorious, one of my favorite operas of all. The final scene, with the song contest, is amazingto me, but I'm a Wagner fan. I have a pretty long attention span, and yet don't know what I'd have thought if it was my first live opera. And the problem with the idea of trying the first act and leaving if you don't like it, is that act one is the least interesting dramatically. I agree with the suggestion to listen and/or watch a video to see how it appeals to you before you decide.

One more thing about appreciating Wagner. You have to penetrate through those thick layers of his narrative content being so shot through with the Vaterland cultural schlock of his era, in order to arrive at and hear the aesthetic content.

(The divine Ludwig van indulged some of that same schlock in agreeing with the contemporary judgment of Schiller as a great & permanent fixture.)

Internalizing it is, as with most anything German, a lot of work. :rolleyes:

P.S. Probably the supremest example of all would be Goethe.

Archived