Do You Cleave To Contronyms?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Contronyms are a class of words that are also called auto-antonyms. The most famous example I can think of is the word 'cleave' which can mean to sever or to cling to.

But phrases can also be similar to 'contronyms'. For example in the UK, the common meaning to 'table a motion' is to put it on the table for consideration. In American English it more commonly means to get rid of the motion-keep

it on the table and away from being discussed or voted on.

I came across a similar situation today. A phrase that to me would normally mean the opposite of the way it was employed. It occurred in an article in the Washington Post describing the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew.

I quote:

In some hard-hit communities, like Lumberton, the flooding also cut along socioeconomic lines: a white area of town was preserved,

Now it seems to me that in the past when I've seen the phrase 'cut along socioeconomic lines', it's often been talking about some issue or event that has affected a majority of people irrespective of their socioeconomic class.

Has my understanding of this phrase been wrong all these years?

Gman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quote:

In some hard-hit communities, like Lumberton, the flooding also cut along socioeconomic lines: a white area of town was preserved,

Now it seems to me that in the past when I've seen the phrase 'cut along socioeconomic lines', it's often been talking about some issue or event that has affected a majority of people irrespective of their socioeconomic class.

Gman

Ok, I give up on this grammatical riddle. What am I missing? English is my second language, and I'm sure there is something here I don't get. I thought cutting across socioeconomic lines meant all were affected irrespective of socioeconomic status, while cutting along means something closer to cutting around a specific path - in this case around what appears to be a white community (presumably more affluent?). Now I'm totally doubting myself and mucho confundido! :confused:

In the meantime, I just sit in awe as I see Slater play with his...words.

Ok, I give up on this grammatical riddle. What am I missing? English is my second language, and I'm sure there is something here I don't get. I thought cutting across socioeconomic lines meant all were affected irrespective of socioeconomic status, while cutting along means something closer to cutting around a specific path - in this case around what appears to be a white community (presumably more affluent?). Now I'm totally doubting myself and mucho confundido! :confused:

In the meantime, I just sit in awe as I see Slater play with his...words.

Oh my!!!!I guess you've found my inadvertent error. :confused:In my mind I was confusing 'cutting across' and 'cutting along'. Thank gosh for non-native speakers!!!

So disregard that part of the post. The rest is still true. :p

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

No you do not. His wording led to me believe that everyone in town was impacted by the flood. Only the last portion of the statement made clear his intent. The flooding affected citizens along economic lines, would be clearer.

I wrote this but did not post it and then I posted it without seeing there had been other responses. I guess I just restated what others have said. Sorry.

To me, cut along socioeconomic lines just didn't work as English in this context. I don't see cut along and cut across as being opposites. Cut along works when you have scissors and something with a line along which to cut it. I can't think of a simple construction that describes something you'd expect to be indisciminate affecting a town differently in a way that reflects unrelated characteristics of the town. Perhaps the flooding affected the town along socioeconomic lines. Bottom line, newspapers dispense with their subeditors at their peril.

To me, cut along socioeconomic lines just didn't work as English in this context. I don't see cut along and cut across as being opposites. Cut along works when you have scissors and something with a line along which to cut it. I can't think of a simple construction that describes something you'd expect to be indisciminate affecting a town differently in a way that reflects unrelated characteristics of the town. Perhaps the flooding affected the town along socioeconomic lines. Bottom line, newspapers dispense with their subeditors at their peril.

It's probably a peculiarity of American English as 'Happy Christmas' or 'queue up' sounds right to those with a more British English bent. Both 'cutting along' and 'cutting across' made sense to me once @Truereview pointed out my mistake.

Gman

The implied meaning of "literally" as used by so many speakers nowadays--i.e., "as good as actually" or sometimes "almost," as in "I am literally tearing my hair out!"--is not considered Standard English. "Flammable" and "inflammable" are both considered correct.

The implied meaning of "literally" as used by so many speakers nowadays--i.e., "as good as actually" or sometimes "almost," as in "I am literally tearing my hair out!"--is not considered Standard English. "Flammable" and "inflammable" are both considered correct.

The OED lists both meanings now.

one of my favorite quotes about Americans...written by Alexis de Tocqueville in 1835!....boldface added!

"It is odd to watch with what feverish ardor Americans pursue prosperity. Ever tormented by the shadowy suspicion that they may not have chosen the shortest route to get it. They cleave to the things of this world as if assured that they will never die, and yet rush to snatch any that comes within their reach as if they expected to stop living before they had relished them. Death steps in, in the end, and stops them before they have grown tired of this futile pursuit of that complete felicity which always escapes them."