What I like about the South....Fried Chicken!!!

ArVaGuy
This topic is 2853 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I can't help with advice on the road trip, but here's another take on fried chicken. My grandma and grandad had a housekeeper from South Carolina. Her delicious fried chicken was always, always accompanied by rice, generously buttered. The vegetable would change with the season, but fried chicken and rice are the stuff of my nostalgic dreams.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fried chicken - great stuff, but my tummy doesn't like it. After a meal of fried chicken, I would need the prilosec.

Recently, I've been broiling chicken. I used to make broiled chicken years ago, forgot about it. The meat market in my neighborhood sells broilers, so a few weeks ago I bought one and cooked it under the broiler. It was fantastic - the only way it could have been better would be grilled over charcoal. I've made several since then.

Fried chicken - great stuff, but my tummy doesn't like it. After a meal of fried chicken, I would need the prilosec.

Worth the Prilosec a couple times a year :rolleyes:

Broiled is delicious! I like whole roast chicken, on my bbq rotisserie, oven roasted, flattened out spatchcock style, etc. with carrots and potatoes roasted alongside. No grocery store roast chickens, please.

Worth the Prilosec a couple times a year :rolleyes:

Broiled is delicious! I like whole roast chicken, on my bbq rotisserie, oven roasted, flattened out spatchcock style, etc. with carrots and potatoes roasted alongside. No grocery store roast chickens, please.

Yep, that's what I do, butterfly it (actually, the butcher butterflies it). I'll try cooking vegetables on the side, hadn't thought of that.

What are your favorite big chain fried chicken fast food restaurants? My are KFC, Popeye Fried Chicken,

Church's Chicken. But my favorite is Popeye Chicken.

I used to like Popeye's, for the chicken, yes, but I would go in there just for the beans and rice. It has been at least 20 years since I have been in a Popeye's, so they may not even have the beans and rice anymore.

My mother was a great down home cook but fried chicken was not her thing. A number of years ago we had a small chain of fast food chicken restaurants here in Southern California called Pioneer. I believe only one or two still exist. I got their recipe somewhere year ago and use it to this day. Recently had I a group of ten friends over for dinner and served, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, coleslaw, and baking powder biscuits. Dessert was peach cobbler with ice cream. Part of the fun of the meal was the nostalgia of it all. If any of you enjoy cooking and would like the recipe I'm more than will to share.

Yep - love beans and rice - it has to have sausage or ham or fresh pork in it though.

This thread sends me to Pollo Tropical. They have grilled chicken, not fried. But the variety of beans and rice is great. Not as good as Mama makes, but an easy alternative when you don't have three or four hours to cook a pot of beans.

Yes, they still have the beasn and rice mate. If you like rice and beans, you should check out some of the

Caribbean restaurants.

I was getting ready to say that we don't have Caribbean restaurants in San Francisco, but we do. Just a few, but we do have them.

Sylvia's on Malcom X Blvd got too popular and lost its shine :(. I miss brunch in Harlem.

And now a twist...

My fave fried Chick is now in Bedstuy Brooklyn - almost as good as southern fried delicacies. My favorite is Peaches Hothouse. Most City folk don't venture out to that side of Brooklyn but some of the very best food is hidden out in the outskirts (Bedstuy is slowly becoming another Williamsburg). Btw, this fried chick has chili powder and 3 kinds of pepper that makes it so special...I believe they call it Nashville style, so eat with care cuz it be hot, but worth every crunch.

I can't find good fried chick in LA :( Except for some hot babes on the the beach :D

I really miss my dear departed mom's fried chicken. She was a country girl who learned how to fry chicken in a big old iron skillet---the absolute BEST I've ever had. I now realize I was so spoiled! One would expect my sister, who learned how to cook from my mom, to know the secret. Alas, although my sister is actually a better cook than my mom when she prepares many other dishes, she admits she could never figure out how mom got it to the juicy, crisp, non-greasy level every single piece of her fried chicken had! She never fries chicken and will, in fact, order KFC instead! Yuck!!!

I concur with Big J on KC's Stroud's chicken (AND chicken fried steak) but after years of thinking Stroud's was always the best after my mom's chicken, I took a trip to Dallas and was introduced to Babe's fried chicken. That stuff is heaven and almost as excellent as my mom's! They have a wonderful chicken fried steak, too! Now, when I travel to Dallas, I have to have my dose of Babe's chicken (often twice!) and hire Logan Brock and Luca to make my Dallas experience a gastronomic AND sexual approach to true Nirvana!!! That's certainly one of the main reasons I make the trek to The Big D at least twice a year! o_O;):D

TruHart1 :cool:

Archived