New hobby!!!

Brian Kevin
This topic is 2923 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been testing it out the last 2 days, taking my mind off of death and life in general. I had to go about 5 miles from my house, and i thought to myself why don't you go buy a bike instead of Ubering. Easy as that, I bought a bike, man does it kick my ass--BUT it's easier than running a 5k/10k I will admit that outloud! So I figured, why not bike to the outcalls I have planned!? Today was Outcall #2, except requesting to use their shower, there were no upsets! I get a good leg, core and upper body work out with this bike, it weighs about 7 pounds and some how supports my ass! The seat, needs a reinforcement, like a seat cushion, I'm getting there! Someone asked my why don't I just buy a car? Fuck that! I have ran so many cars into the ground. With all the traveling and errands I run-- It's just easier to stay downtown and get around with Uber, Buses, Trains and walking. I will miss my bike once I leave Cleveland, but I have seen so many "rent a bike" vending things in so many cities!

Has anyone else ever crossed paths with their hobbies like I just discovered? It's so rejuvenating to be EXHAUSTED after a 5 mile+ bike ride, but stretching and getting into the massage proved to boost me back up! I came home even faster than I did getting there! Now that's saying something. The one thing I am gulity of, I WILL NOT USE A BIKE LANE IN THE STREET. Give me a ticket, pull me over, yell at me-- I seen so many people get hit biking in the "bike lane" so many people (car drivers) have a stigma about bike riders, I know I do, so I just use the sidewalk, am curtious, say excuse me, slow down at all intercetions and blind corners/drive ways.

Now, back to netflix and my fake fur blanket until I fall asleep, hoping to drool tonight to ensure a quality sleep ;)

LONGEVITY!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently you have not seen many people hit by bicyclists who are riding on the sidewalk. You endanger yourself and pedestrians by riding on the sidewalk. Of course you have a helmet to protect you, or should.

In my view, the problem is not so much with bikers as the lack of bike-specific infrastructure. Bikes are sort of “in-between” cars and pedestrians in terms of their speed, size, and weight, but there is rarely a dedicated space for them in between roads and sidewalks. That’s why I like cycle tracks, which that separate bikes and cars with a physical barrier and clear markings/green paint. Here's an example in Seattle:

I have been testing it out the last 2 days, taking my mind off of death and life in general. I had to go about 5 miles from my house, and i thought to myself why don't you go buy a bike instead of Ubering. Easy as that, I bought a bike, man does it kick my ass--BUT it's easier than running a 5k/10k I will admit that outloud! So I figured, why not bike to the outcalls I have planned!? Today was Outcall #2, except requesting to use their shower, there were no upsets! I get a good leg, core and upper body work out with this bike, it weighs about 7 pounds and some how supports my ass! The seat, needs a reinforcement, like a seat cushion, I'm getting there! Someone asked my why don't I just buy a car? Fuck that! I have ran so many cars into the ground. With all the traveling and errands I run-- It's just easier to stay downtown and get around with Uber, Buses, Trains and walking. I will miss my bike once I leave Cleveland, but I have seen so many "rent a bike" vending things in so many cities!

Has anyone else ever crossed paths with their hobbies like I just discovered? It's so rejuvenating to be EXHAUSTED after a 5 mile+ bike ride, but stretching and getting into the massage proved to boost me back up! I came home even faster than I did getting there! Now that's saying something. The one thing I am gulity of, I WILL NOT USE A BIKE LANE IN THE STREET. Give me a ticket, pull me over, yell at me-- I seen so many people get hit biking in the "bike lane" so many people (car drivers) have a stigma about bike riders, I know I do, so I just use the sidewalk, am curtious, say excuse me, slow down at all intercetions and blind corners/drive ways.

Now, back to netflix and my fake fur blanket until I fall asleep, hoping to drool tonight to ensure a quality sleep ;)

LONGEVITY!

I live in NYC. We have bike lanes for a reason - the sidewalk is for walking, not riding your fucking bike. Bikes have wheels, they are vehicles, not an "in-between person and car" phenomenon - bikes are to follow the same set of rules that vehicles such as cars follow - this means not going the wrong way on a one way street, not blowing through red lights, yielding to pedestrians with the right of way, paying attention to your surroundings, and being in control of your vehicle. When I walk around this city, I'm paying attention to the bikes more than cars because my experience has been that most bikers here in NYC do NOT follow the rules. Multiple times a week, I'm almost hit by a bike that is being ridden on the sidewalk (swerving in and out of people) or the has blown through a red light, narrowly missing me when I have a green light and a walk sign. That's bullshit.

I respect the hell out of you, man, and please understand my response is based on my experience - it's an emotionally charged issue for me, and the tone is not at all reflective of how I feel about you.

In my view, the problem is not so much with bikers as the lack of bike-specific infrastructure. Bikes are sort of “in-between” cars and pedestrians in terms of their speed, size, and weight, but there is rarely a dedicated space for them in between roads and sidewalks. That’s why I like cycle tracks, which that separate bikes and cars with a physical barrier and clear markings/green paint. Here's an example in Seattle:

.... and this is fucking brilliant

Here in Canberra, cyclists are allowed to ride on footpaths (except within 10m of an open shop) and there are extensive off-road cycle paths as well as green-paved on road lanes. I agree with @Eric Hassan that the onus is on cyclists in shared areas to watch out for and avoid pedestrians. No separate lanes like the ones in the Seattle video (is that really Seattle, the sky is blue?) but I know of one like that in Sydney.

I live in NYC. We have bike lanes for a reason - the sidewalk is for walking, not riding your fucking bike. Bikes have wheels, they are vehicles, not an "in-between person and car" phenomenon - bikes are to follow the same set of rules that vehicles such as cars follow - this means not going the wrong way on a one way street, not blowing through red lights, yielding to pedestrians with the right of way, paying attention to your surroundings, and being in control of your vehicle. When I walk around this city, I'm paying attention to the bikes more than cars because my experience has been that most bikers here in NYC do NOT follow the rules. Multiple times a week, I'm almost hit by a bike that is being ridden on the sidewalk (swerving in and out of people) or the has blown through a red light, narrowly missing me when I have a green light and a walk sign. That's bullshit.

I respect the hell out of you, man, and please understand my response is based on my experience - it's an emotionally charged issue for me, and the tone is not at all reflective of how I feel about you.

+1...

Population density has become a real issue in cities. Congestion is everywhere. I just think we all should be as respectful and courteous of each other as possible.

Or eventually you might start your Uber type service! With your firm butt and other attributes you might be able to supplement your other job quite nicely! ;) If you so desired that is! :)

http://epedicab.net/img/fullsize/destination_blog_philadelphia_files_pedicab_498x380.jpg

In my part of California bike riders like to use pedestrian laws when its benefits them (sidewalks and crosswalks) and vehicle laws when it benefits them.

Or eventually you might start your Uber type service! With your firm butt and other attributes you might be able to supplement your other job quite nicely! ;) If you so desired that is! :)

http://epedicab.net/img/fullsize/destination_blog_philadelphia_files_pedicab_498x380.jpg

And....who could forget the Pedicab boys of Key West. :p

lots-of-pedicabs.jpg

In my part of California bike riders like to use pedestrian laws when its benefits them (sidewalks and crosswalks) and vehicle laws when it benefits them.

That's because they know they're invisible to drivers.

I used to ride a bike to work when the commute was exactly 2 miles with bike lanes the whole way. At least once a week I'd be sitting at a traffic light waiting for it to go green and some asshole in a car would pull up behind me into "my" lane to make a right turn. I actually jumped up onto the sidewalk to get out of the way several times.

I daresay that they are almost redundant in Seattle. Drivers there are so courteous, I'm sure they would pay attention.

What I think is brilliant and, simultaneously, a potential disaster, is the dedicated "Bike Lane" traffic light, that starts before the motor vehicular traffic.

A story of driving in Seattle:

At the northern end of Queen Anne hill is a four-way stop sign, that has been there for years. The Traffic Advisors decided that a four-way stoplight would make more sense.

The number of accidents increased. While knowing how to deal with a four-way stop, and who goes when, the stoplight made traffic patterns worse.

The local denizens asked that the stoplights be removed, and the stop signs replace. The accident rate went back to its historical low.

Chicago has started to put in the well marked green lanes in more and more places. However as far as I can tell there are no physical barriers in place. Despite that the paths are great. I can take one directly from my home to my work and stay in the lane. And they are in the main downtown areas. The main problems, of course, are those already mentioned. The bikers are as at fault as the cars and the pedestrians. But some of that always was (pedestrians disregarding cars, cars disregarding crosswalks, etc.) and unless the cops enforce the laws, always will be. However, there is nothing better than getting on your bike, getting into a bike lane, and riding along the lake shore.

There's another benefit to riding a bike. After a month riding your ass will look better than it ever has in your life. :cool:

I bought a new bicycle with the money I received from Gerald Ford's tax rebate. Anyone else here remember that?

I was very careful in the car lanes, and commuted to work at an hour when pedestrian traffic was relatively minimal.

I had an eight mile trip, one way. I rode at an average 20 MPH and the bike weighed 23 pounds. In the course of four months, I didn't lose any weight. I was in great shape, though.

It's taken over two years of Personal Training, and 30 "glute bridges" thrice weekly, to get a nice, hard, dimpled butt that I should have had from biking.

And....who could forget the Pedicab boys of Key West. :p

LOL! BVB the Key West rickshaw biker guys were my first thought! Plus, I almost posted that exact same pic, but ultimately choose what was a Pedicab guy from Philly because his butt somehow got my attention! ;)

So bottome line: I like the way that you think!

LOL! BVB the Key West rickshaw biker guys were my first thought! Plus, I almost posted that exact same pic, but ultimately choose what was a Pedicab guy from Philly because his butt somehow got my attention! ;)

So bottome line: I like the way that you think!

Yeah finding the right pic was frustrating. I have better pics and vids in my phone...;)...Ahhh those butts and legs from behind is a site to behold. When I go down, I sit at a sidewalk cafe first, and pick out just the perfect boy to ride me around...:D I know, shameless.

Jesus guys I live in the suburbs of Cleveland, I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE ARE NO PEDESTRIANS in the sidewalks, none. And if there are I get down in the street before I pass them! I'm wider(hips and shoulders) and taller than the bike, significantly I refuse to get hit in the street. O:) I'd rather walk in NYC then a bike or a cab just to throw that out there.

It's taken over two years of Personal Training, and 30 "glute bridges" thrice weekly, to get a nice, hard, dimpled butt that I should have had from biking.

What is a 'glute bridge'?

I'd like to ride occasionally-not for health so much just to ride. But the two major things stopping me-#1. I don't have a bike. #2. Due to a medical condition (I'm talking about an actual one-not just lard butt (which I unfortunately have too)), I can't ride for long without developing pain.

Gman

What is a 'glute bridge'? Gman

For your viewing pleasure Gman... Pay careful attention to the young man, wouldn't want you to do the exercise wrong. ;) Just remember, as you thrust up, don't forget to squeeze those butt cheeks together...:D

Jesus guys I live in the suburbs of Cleveland, I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE ARE NO PEDESTRIANS in the sidewalks, none. And if there are I get down in the street before I pass them! I'm wider(hips and shoulders) and taller than the bike, significantly I refuse to get hit in the street. O:) I'd rather walk in NYC then a bike or a cab just to throw that out there.

I would check the law anyway because some crazy ass cop could give you a ticket or take your bike if that is a remedy. It is like not stopping at a stop light even if there are no other cars within miles.

Archived