Scroll To The Bottom - Just Heard This

azdr0710
This topic is 2927 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember reading a succinct bit of advice, some weeks back, to the then-EOY. It was from one of the posters to this current thread. (You know who you are, and kudos to you for trying.) The suggestion was:

Don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Although it went unheeded, it was damn good advice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And who had The Balls to warn the Message-Forum that hijinks were in progress during the EOY 'voting' process?

You want an accolade for balls? :rolleyes:

Well, guys, you did a better job keeping the speculation out of the thread than I expected, but once again my point is proved. o_O

You want an accolade for balls? :rolleyes:

Well, guys, you did a better job keeping the speculation out of the thread than I expected, but once again my point is proved. o_O

Granted, I have done as much as anyone to lead to a certain undesirable outcome. I have repeatedly referred to Dame Kockwood as a "Lady." To state the obvious, this was a horrible, unladylike transgression. And gradually it led to a certain degradation of the high standards of etiquette observed on this website. Even my boyfriend Kenny has taken to calling me "Caveman."

Having said that, I'll tell you what I'm absolutely sick of. Blaming the victim. There is an almost endless list of people who feel, correctly, that their good deeds and intentions in this matter did not go unpunished. As it was happening, there were countless warnings about the slow motion train wreck all but one of us saw coming. I was one of the people that begged the offender to NOT snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So, sorry QTR, I have confessed my sins, such as they are, and I have zero sympathy for any direct or implied attempt to make anybody feel guilty for how we dealt with somebody, who we mostly simply opened our hearts to. There is only one guilty party here. If holding that party accountable takes balls, that gives testicles a good name.

There is another adage that sums this all up, sadly:

You can lead a whore to water, but you can't make him think. :(

She turns and looks a moment in the glass,

Hardly aware of her departed lover;

Her brain allows one half-formed thought to pass:

‘Well now that’s done: and I’m glad it’s over.’

When lovely woman stoops to folly and

Paces about her room again, alone,

She smoothes her hair with automatic hand,

And puts a record on the gramophone.

My second favorite 20th Century poet (second only to Wallace Stevens.)

Granted, I have done as much as anyone to lead to a certain undesirable outcome. I have repeatedly referred to Dame Kockwood as a "Lady." To state the obvious, this was a horrible, unladylike transgression. And gradually it led to a certain degradation of the high standards of etiquette observed on this website. Even my boyfriend Kenny has taken to calling me "Caveman."

Having said that, I'll tell you what I'm absolutely sick of. Blaming the victim. There is an almost endless list of people who feel, correctly, that their good deeds and intentions in this matter did not go unpunished. As it was happening, there were countless warnings about the slow motion train wreck all but one of us saw coming. I was one of the people that begged the offender to NOT snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So, sorry QTR, I have confessed my sins, such as they are, and I have zero sympathy for any direct or implied attempt to make anybody feel guilty for how we dealt with somebody, who we mostly simply opened our hearts to. There is only one guilty party here. If holding that party accountable takes balls, that gives testicles a good name.

There is another adage that sums this all up, sadly:

You can lead a whore to water, but you can't make him think. :(

My remarks were not addressed to you, so I don't know what you're going on about.

Archived