Grammar police, unite!

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Found on cnn.com this morning:

"Malia Obama, the oldest of President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama's two daughters, will attend Harvard University.'

Other than my pure hatred of the word gifted, I try to be tolerant, but media these days need better proof-reading. And what is wrong with the phrases:

I
gave
her a book.

I was
given
a book.

In the passive voice, A book was gifted to me is just awkward.

Whilst I'm at it, Extra Points if anyone can tell me the difference between a gift and a present.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

("abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Dante's Inferno, some canto or another)

this is for those who want a translation as a matter of course.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found on cnn.com this morning:

"Malia Obama, the oldest of President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama's two daughters, will attend Harvard University.'

Other than my pure hatred of the word gifted, I try to be tolerant, but media these days need better proof-reading. And what is wrong with the phrases:

I
gave
her a book.

I was
given
a book.

In the passive voice, A book was gifted to me is just awkward.

Whilst I'm at it, Extra Points if anyone can tell me the difference between a gift and a present.

"I would like to present you with a gift."

:)

A present is a gift that you present, i.e., you physically give in person to someone. If you mail it, it's a gift, not a present.

I look forward to you being a present soon -- a gift just isn't as good!!

A present is a gift that you present, i.e., you physically give in person to someone. If you mail it, it's a gift, not a present.

Leaving aside the contention that there is no such thing as American English (or by extention, Australian English), only English and mistakes, in Australian English present and gift are interchangeable. That said I would never say Christmas gift or birthday gift, it would always be a Christmas or birthday present.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g367/Rickeeee/Mobile%20Uploads/F8DEC969-A1A4-4A82-86FF-5707E9403481_zpsqkhi9ulh.jpg

We all have our pet peeves. If I spent more than one millisecond letting mine get to me, my head would have exploded a long time ago.

Being a member of the "Grammar Police", "PC Police", "Bareback Police" or any other Police that finds it necessary to dictate rules to others sucks the joy of life out of one.

We all have our pet peeves. If I spent more than one millisecond letting mine get to me, my head would have exploded a long time ago.

Being a member of the "Grammar Police", "PC Police", "Bareback Police" or any other Police that finds it necessary to dictate rules to others sucks the joy of life out of one.

Atta boy

Unless, of course, one derives joy from correcting others' underdeveloped vocabulary and incorrect grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Unless, of course, one derives joy from correcting others' underdeveloped vocabulary and incorrect grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

It is certainly no matter of joy, but there are times when public correction can be a matter of quiet satisfaction. As for Michael, there is no need for any correction he offers to be silent!

That reminds me of the old man sitting in a chair on his porch all day to experience the "joy" of shouting, "Get off my lawn!" It's a lifeless, suffocating joy.

That reminds me of the old man sitting in a chair on his porch all day to experience the "joy" of shouting, "Get off my lawn!" It's a lifeless, suffocating joy.

Not if you're doing it right. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://www.masculinity-movies.com/wp-content/gallery/gran-torino/gran_torino_4.jpg

I must know the name of the glass-wall fabricator who did your house. His work is divine! My guy is OK, but he can't write worth shit and he doesn't appreciate my corrective feedback.

In typical millennial fashion all these replies are usually termed "these ones or those ones"-- sweet Mother of God. We are living in an age of poor grammar, penmanship (what?) and diction. Perhaps the sex is still good...

Peace,

Kipp

Archived