Rediscovering Hollywood musicals

seaboy4hire
This topic is 2746 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some of us are just relentless movie buffs who are partial to the pre-1970s period when you had artificial studio lighting, indoor sets, silly back projection, over-the-top orchestra scores and predictable, unrealistic storylines.

Since then, the Hollywood musical has been replaced by the "cgi"-infected special effects extravaganza which is as equally unrealistic. You know... macho dudes flexing their pecs before battling the aliens and super villains without ever getting a scratch. Autos exploding in flames. Buildings crashing. Yet everybody nodding "good job" in the final scene, just before the loooooong end credits detailing every special effects team member who spent more time working on the film than any of the actors.

I am also thankful that the "digital restorers" have not yet removed the hilarious string holding up Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion's tale in so many scenes in The Wizard of Oz. We need to be reminded that there was no "cgi" back then.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol naw Im still around. I've been busy with the day job learning manager stuff so I don't burn the place down when the manager is on holiday next month.

Hugs,

Greg

Does this mean that in May, customers will get their drinks stirred with your you-know-what, if they offer you a tip in folding money with Harriet Tubman on it? :)

Hello Dolly will be back on Broadway next season with Bette Midler. Going into the Shubert when Matilda closes.

O M G! Is there a date yet? Even an approximate one? Not my very favorite show, but anything with the Second Miss M is okay with me!

I've lost track. Did anyone mention Funny Girl? The greatest one woman movie musical of all time. Love her or leave her, Barbra tears it up!!!!!!!

Fleetingly I mentioned that one in one meaty post.

Oh I am sure there are more than enough titles to discuss for the next four pages.

I am just surprised nobody has bothered to start a "gallery" JUST on Esther Williams' co-stars in her mostly forgotten MGM "aquamusicals"...

You have to wonder how many still "in the closet" secretly went to the theaters in the 1940s and early 50s to see THEM rather than her get all "wet"...

Here are four of them anyway... Van Johnson (supposedly "in the closet" at that time), Howard Keel, Ricardo Montalban and Peter Lawford

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XRt3L9eOWto/UbIWmSn4PUI/AAAAAAAAe-E/kZxNICfkOpI/s1600/873815616_bd6a932de0.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m390/Xperico/vlcsnap-00013-7.jpg

ricardo.jpg

http://resizing.flixster.com/G17QP4bCqkt2IZxxqe1DBglUBTE=/1024x768/dkpu1ddg7pbsk.cloudfront.net/multiuse/20/54/205434_ori.jpg

The history of MGM's back lot, where so many great musicals were made, and so much talent was assembled, is fascinating in itself. While it's sad that it is no more, we are truly blessed that it once was.

Speaking of MGM, my alma mater, Loyola Marymount, used to borrow the MGM lion (Leo) as a mascot for their sporting events. Rumor has it that they used to harness him to a tree during the events. Supposedly Leo got so old and toothless that nobody was much scared of him in his later years.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SjuV_S7SuzM/TaMxbNMBEII/AAAAAAAAAbQ/NSdgTxu07Uk/s640/MGM_Lion_Alfred_Hitchcock.jpg

Lawford and Montalban are dreamy. Keel is okay, but I never was a fan of Johnson, who always played an asshole. In the darkened theater I studied Montalban's crotch in his white swimsuit, but he must have had it all tucked. He looked as smooth as a Ken doll. Back to the naturalist mags at the drug store.

Oh, Bette was born to play Dolly Levi.

Perhaps not so quick.

Bette was supposed to be the star of a tribute to Ethel Merman around the time Midler did the TV version of "Gypsy." I believe it was a Sunday or Monday night in NYC.

"Hello, Dolly" was written for Merman.

Elaine Stritch was far better than Midler, which makes sense because Stritch was an understudy for Merman in "Call Me Madam." in the 1950s.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived