Rediscovering Hollywood musicals

seaboy4hire
This topic is 2746 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, but it's probably unfair because we can both see musicals in New York.

For example, I liked the Bette Midler version of "Gypsy, " but not as much as the original stage version with Ethel Merman and one of many "Gypsy" revival with Bernadettte Peters.

Isn't Barbra Streisand attempting to remake "Gypsy"?

Isn't Barbra Streisand attempting to remake "Gypsy"?

Yes, Barbra Streisand has been thinking about another film version of "Gypsy" for quite a while.

The musical was written for Ethel Merman who was fifty-one years old when the show opened on Broadway.

The issue has always been Streisand's age. She is either seventy-four, or soon to be seventy-four years old.

Yes, Barbra Streisand has been thinking about another film version of "Gypsy" for quite a while.

The musical was written for Ethel Merman who was fifty-one years old when the show opened on Broadway.

The issue has always been Streisand's age. She is either seventy-four, or soon to be seventy-four years old.

They will have to photograph her through Vaseline, or Linoleum to get the focus soft enough, like they did with Lucy in Mame. Audiences left that catastrophe thinking they needed to get their eyes checked.

They will have to photograph her through Vaseline, or Linoleum to get the focus soft enough, like they did with Lucy in Mame. Audiences left that catastrophe thinking they needed to get their eyes checked.

LOL. Like Tootsie, when they kept asking how far they could pull back from Dustin Hoffman as Dorothy. The cameraman suggested "How about Cleveland?"

Singing in the Rain is at the top of my list. I also enjoy Oklahoma! and My Fair Lady.

Singing in the Rain was filmed in 3-D. Not the kind of 3-D that comes out and punches you in the face; more like you're watching everything through a very large plate glass window. House of Wax was also in 3-D.

i hope not. they'd need to find a louise in her 50's to make it believable

They could make her the grandmother and slightly retool the story. But I thought she was only attached to direct vs. star. I think she has said herself that she is way past the correct age for the show.

West Side Story... great dancing and of course, music by Leonard Bernstein.

Mary Poppins.....great mix of live and animation with Julie Andrews

My Fair Lady with the wonderful Audrey Hepburn

South Pacific

West Side Story is one of the most amazing films. The lovely tune of Tonight being sung against the driven "Jets vs. Sharks" tune ... incredible. In his good moment, Bernstein was incredible. In his bad moments ...

I need to see South Pacific live sometime. Great tunes. The movie version has the weirdest color filters.

They could make her the grandmother and slightly retool the story. But I thought she was only attached to direct vs. star. I think she has said herself that she is way past the correct age for the show.

i stand corrected...apparentlyhttp://variety.com/2016/film/news/barbra-streisand-gypsy-barry-levinson-1201750655/ its got a green light.

Singing in the Rain was filmed in 3-D. Not the kind of 3-D that comes out and punches you in the face; more like you're watching everything through a very large plate glass window. House of Wax was also in 3-D.

I think you mean... since it was mentioned earlier... Kiss Me Kate.

The way Howard Keel thrusts his banana towards the audience is hardly subtle. If you have red and blue glasses, this clip looks pretty good.

However both films were only made just over a year apart, so Singin' in the Rain could have been done that way if MGM's Stanley Donen desired to. However the big craze for 3-D hadn't started just yet when they were filming that one in the summer of 1951. Kiss Me Kate was done in 1953.

House of Wax was shown with the Bugs Bunny cartoon Lumber-Jack Rabbit, also in 3-D... only most of us saw it in "2-D" on television.

MUSICALS THAT

...I'D LOVE TO SEE ONE DAY, AND WHILE I CAN'T PAY YOUR FEE TO DO IT, I'D WATCH WITH YOU, YOU HUNGARIAN-HUMPING BARISTA, YOU:

Centennial Summer

Summer Holiday

Porgy and Bess

...YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A GOOD OPINION OF JOAN CRAWFORD, BECAUSE THESE WILL LEAVE YOU SCRATCHING YOUR HEAD WHY SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD PULL OFF SINGING OR DANCING, TRULY:

Dancing Lady

Torch Song

...ARE CONSIDERED BAFFLINGLY MIS-CAST IF YOU IGNORE THE FINANCIAL ASPECT OF IT, BUT IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT ON STAGE, THIS IS THE BEST WE MIGHT GET, WHICH IS NOT TERRIBLE CONSIDERING SOME OF THE OTHER TALENT IN FRONT OF AND BEHIND THE CAMERA:

Hello, Dolly

Gypsy

The Boyfriend

A Little Night Music

Sweeney Todd

....MIGHT MAKE YOU WANT TO SLASH YOUR WRISTS AFTERWARD, THEY'RE SO BLEAK, BUT THEY'RE REALLY DIFFERENT AND INTERESTING:

Love Me or Leave Me

All That Jazz

Phantom of the Paradise

Bugsy Malone

MUSICALS THAT

...I'D LOVE TO SEE ONE DAY, AND WHILE I CAN'T PAY YOUR FEE TO DO IT, I'D WATCH WITH YOU, YOU HUNGARIAN-HUMPING BARISTA, YOU:

Centennial Summer

Summer Holiday

Porgy and Bess

...YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A GOOD OPINION OF JOAN CRAWFORD, BECAUSE THESE WILL LEAVE YOU SCRATCHING YOUR HEAD WHY SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD PULL OFF SINGING OR DANCING, TRULY:

Dancing Lady

Torch Song

...ARE CONSIDERED BAFFLINGLY MIS-CAST IF YOU IGNORE THE FINANCIAL ASPECT OF IT, BUT IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT ON STAGE, THIS IS THE BEST WE MIGHT GET, WHICH IS NOT TERRIBLE CONSIDERING SOME OF THE OTHER TALENT IN FRONT OF AND BEHIND THE CAMERA:

Hello, Dolly

Gypsy

The Boyfriend

A Little Night Music

Sweeney Todd

....MIGHT MAKE YOU WANT TO SLASH YOUR WRISTS AFTERWARD, THEY'RE SO BLEAK, BUT THEY'RE REALLY DIFFERENT AND INTERESTING:

Love Me or Leave Me

All That Jazz

Phantom of the Paradise

Bugsy Malone

Ah, Joan Crawford in Torch Song "...And spoil that line!"

Hello Dolly will be back on Broadway next season with Bette Midler. Going into the Shubert when Matilda closes.

Oh, Bette was born to play Dolly Levi.

"Horace, you can snuggle up to your cash register.

It's a little lumpy, but it rings!"

..YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A GOOD OPINION OF JOAN CRAWFORD, BECAUSE THESE WILL LEAVE YOU SCRATCHING YOUR HEAD WHY SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD PULL OFF SINGING OR DANCING, TRULY:

Dancing Lady

Torch Song

The scene in Torch Song after Joan is in dark makeup and sings "Two Faced Woman" and afterwards pulls off her wig (showing her almost orange hair) is most frightening. I agree that it should be avoided if you're a JC fan. I'm sure too that she didn't do her own singing.

P.S. IMO I think the "bitch factor" got her the role ...

West Side Story is one of the most amazing films. The lovely tune of Tonight being sung against the driven "Jets vs. Sharks" tune ... incredible. In his good moment, Bernstein was incredible. In his bad moments ...

I need to see South Pacific live sometime. Great tunes. The movie version has the weirdest color filters.

A friend of mine going to school for theater said Bernstein spend the rest of his life trying to do something as good as he'd done in West Side Story.

Moving from all the great movies already mentioned to somethings a little more B list, I give you The Harvey Girls currently showing on TCM. A good cast elevating average material. Or trying to, anyway.

Don't forget it's the great Harry Warren writing the melodies. I'd say he was way-above average.

Archived