Dear Evan Hansen

This topic is 1621 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This show got great reviews at Arena in Washington, D.C. and has just started previews at the Signature here in NY. I see it on the 23rd. It's selling quickly and if interested you should grab tickets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/dear-evan-hansen-radiates-charm-and-wit-and-thats-no-lie/2015/08/03/9a263ee4-390b-11e5-8e98-115a3cf7d7ae_story.html

This one is expected to make the move to Broadway after this run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect timing, I hope! I will be in Manhattan for a few days at the first of November and would love to see something fresh on Broadway that doesn't cost a "Hamiltonian" price. Please keep us informed as to when tickets beyond May 29 become available and thank you! Is there a web site?

At the moment you can probably find more info at the Second Stage website. Rumor has it that it won't move to B'way until spring of 2017.

Nothing has been announced, no theater has been mentioned. I'll be first in line to see it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, @RyanDean. I will check it out and track the show. It sounds perfect for a couple of retired high school teachers. We'll probably cry buckets in empathy for all the misfits among our students that we loved. I was the drama teacher and drama club advisor for 30 years and I always tried to create a place where troubled or lonely kids could belong. Theater is so wonderful at creating a team, dare I say a family, all adding their piece of the puzzle and pulling in one direction.

Ben Platt has a supporting role in Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2. I saw these movies while in the hospital and I must say, I found his small role captivating. He played a shy awkward a cappella singer and in the few scenes he had, he definitely made shine. This sounds like a similar role, so I have no doubt he will be great. The Second Stage Theater is a lovely little theater. The coziness of the place probably makes the show more effective.

I would love to see this show when I am in NYC in November, but timing is everything. May I please ask you all to post new info on their plan as it becomes available? After winning Obies, the tickets are going to be very popular, and quick action will be required. I'm checking on line frequently, too. Wish there was a "wait list" I could sign up for. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw it this afternoon. Tickets are sold out through July and I tried the lottery and seeing if there were any cancels at the last minute for both the matinees yesterday and today with no luck. Seeing tickets are sold out on weekends until Early July I kept checking stub hub and finally there was one that showed up for a reasonable amount of $200 and I snagged it. I'd recommend buying tickets if you know you'll be going to NYC and if you cna't find them keeping trying stub hub until the last minute and you might get lucky.

Great show. Touches on some pretty serious stuff. I never heard of any of the members in the cast but everyone in it was great. It's a show I'd love see again.

Saw it this afternoon. Tickets are sold out through July.... It's a show I'd love see again.

Totally agree. The best new musical I've seen on Broadway this season. Should receive many Tony nominations. I already purchased my ticket to see it again.

The lead, Ben Platt, is amazing as Evan Hansen. Excellent actor & singer. Along with a very talented cast. The music & story are mesmerizing.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this last night. Great seats (4th row on the center aisle). Blown away. Ben's first number "Waving Through a Window" had me and most of the rest of the audience in tears. A huge ovation at the end of the song.

I put it in the same category as "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime." A marginal notch below, but overwhelmingly one of the best shows I have seen. I will be amazed if it does not win the Tony for Best Musical. If it doesn't it will only solidify my belief that "Best" musical is political (with "Fun Home" being an example of a show that should not have been nominated, much less been the winner! or like "Two Gentlemen of Verona" beating out "Follies" for the top honor.) The same goes for Ben Platt's performance. One of the best musical performances I have ever seen - and being near my dotage, I have seen a lot. As one who normally gets upset at unearned standing ovations, I led the pack last night!

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the show yesterday and everything positive in the reviews is all true. Ben Platt is simply amazing and will tear your heart out with his singing. I swear he was crying during one of the many emotional numbers. Considering he's been doing this part for quite a while it's astounding he can maintain that level of intensity 8 times a week. I can't imagine him not winning the Tony. I don't think I've seen any other performance this season that matches Ben's. I'm sure at some point he'll be moving on to another show so I'd encourage everyone to see the show with Ben if possible.