Handshakes-Male Dominance?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2997 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I met a guy today (non-sexual) who had a very firm handshake. I found out after talking to him for a while that he is former military. I don't think he was deliberately trying to hurt me. He looked like an averagely strong guy-not anyone super-ly strong. On the other hand, I'd say my handshake is ok (normal)-but nothing like this guy's.

How's your handshake?

Gman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very firm with men - I go all in until I feel his adductor pollicis. With women less invasive but still firm.

But is the clutch with men-your natural grip? It doesn't sound like it if you differentiate by sex. I have to concentrate somewhat because my hands are a bit on the smaller side.

If I don't get the first clutch in, guys with larger hands can-not on purpose-prevent me from getting a good grip in. I think my normal handshake is fine. No one (except sometimes my older brother) comments or looks askance at it. It was just this guy's was really firm. I'm an adult male. I've shaken lots of hands obviously. This guy's was really firm. He was kind of cute too-but that's beside the point.

Gman

Yes, and I clutch/grab everything with gusto, but my Latin roots unconsciously soften my grip with women. <shrug>

PS- I don't think it is sign of dominance tho...I think it is a sign of eagerness to get on with whatever reason we have to shake hands for.

Firm with men. Very firm...just short of squeezing hard or being obnoxious. There is nothing worse than a limp -- or even semi-soft -- handshake from a man.

Shaking a woman's hand is supposed to be different. Still firm, but much less pressure than you use with a man.

I can't stand when either sex basically just holds your hand for a second. Oooh!

Supposedly, a palm-down handshake is a demonstration of dominance.

I'm not sure I ever remember turning my palm parallel to the ground when shaking hands. That sounds more like a secret fraternity handshake. I mean I could envision some gangster or gangster's muscle doing that to someone they are about to feed to the fishes, James Bond doing it to someone who tried to out-muscle him. But in that case it would be a definite aggressive move-nothing that would happen in a normal handshake.

Just don't try crushing my hand. I hate that.

Perish the thought!!!!

Firm with men. Very firm...

I agree with firm. Firm is always good. :p

just short of squeezing hard or being obnoxious.

I'm not sure about this part. Unless you are in grade school, junior, or senior high, I think you can have a firm shake without going this far. But maybe it's just that with my hand being smallish, I dislike it being engulfed by larger hands. But there's not much I can do about. In defense. I have to try to get the first squeeze in.

There is nothing worse than a limp -- or even semi-soft -- handshake from a man.

True-men should be firm. Receiving the dead fish handshake is creepy.

I can't stand when either sex basically just holds your hand for a second. Oooh!

Yes, a totally flaccid shake by anyone is gross.

Gman

I met a guy today (non-sexual) who had a very firm handshake. I found out after talking to him for a while that he is former military. I don't think he was deliberately trying to hurt me. He looked like an averagely strong guy-not anyone super-ly strong. On the other hand, I'd say my handshake is ok (normal)-but nothing like this guy's.

How's your handshake?

Gman

Firm handshake and I look people in the eye. No complaints about the former, but some people don't like the latter.

Very firm with men - I go all in until I feel his adductor pollicis. With women less invasive but still firm.

Firm with men. Very firm...just short of squeezing hard or being obnoxious. There is nothing worse than a limp -- or even semi-soft -- handshake from a man.

Shaking a woman's hand is supposed to be different. Still firm, but much less pressure than you use with a man.

I have a firm handshake and I have been asked on many occasions if I am a Mason. I know the Mason's have a secret handshake, but I do not know what it is that I am doing to trigger the question.

Firm handshake and I look people in the eye. No complaints about the former, but some people don't like the latter.

Would all of you with the grips like iron say you have small sized, average, or large hands? Anyone know their glove (numerical) size?

Gman

Would all of you with the grips like iron say you have small sized, average, or large hands? Anyone know their glove (numerical) size?

Gman

I'm a medium in leather glove size. When I had some made, the guy said I was 9". I told him "I wish!" He gave me a little wink.

I think it's stupid that people (usually men) make judgements about a man's "manliness" based on his handshake. Even worse are the men who feel the need to crush the other person's hand in order to prove the size of their balls.

I don't judge their manliness exactly, but I definitely judge their manners and common sense. Virtually everyone hates a limp handshake. So when someone gives me one, it makes me wonder what the hell is going through their head. Yes, it does come off as prissy to me, but it also comes off as rude for dismissing what is very commonly understood etiquette.

I'm a medium in leather glove size. When I had some made, the guy said I was 9". I told him "I wish!" He gave me a little wink.

So your hands are larger than mine. I'm about a 7-1/2-and I would also reply 'I wish'.

I have fairly small hands. Advantage in some things, disadvantage in others. And no, it is not true what they say....ask the Republicans about it.

Marco would be right in my case. :(

Gman

I don't shake hands. I dislike it, so I do not do it. People can judge me on that--and I am sure some do--but unless you write my NCOER, your opinion of me not shaking hands is not relevant.

I wont judge you Kur, as I too am kinda old school and rather go for the old fashioned "CROTCH GRAB"...

Hey Bud....nice to meet ya !

5937cdb2f887edf6ebc0cfb8a485d8b0.jpg

Gman

Well, I do not have a grip like iron (I could, but I'm not trying to injure anyone), but an XL sized glove is often too tight for my hands.

My dad had little hands, particularly for a man who was 6' tall. My mom, on the other hand (no pun intended), had hands that were almost as big as mine. Although not overweight until her golden years, she had a large skeletal frame and a big set of, well, I don't want to upset the more delicate ears so I will let y'all use your imaginations.

Archived