Chili With Ground Turkey Versus Ground Beef?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2999 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we please move on to BRISKET ? :p

SURE! First you must find a butcher that will sell the brisket with all the fat cap. None of this trimmed crap they sell in grocery stores. Brisket works best when it is slowly smoked with all of the fat rendering and dripping through the meat on its way to being collected at the bottom.

I've used dry rubs and wet rubs and I keep coming back to the dry rubs. I've used plain hickory chips, mixes of hickory with other aromatic woods, and even bourbon-soaked hickory. (A waste of good bourbon!) I keep coming back to plain hickory.

Actually, my favorite thing to do with brisket is the brining and smoking of a good pastrami. It makes ANY commercial pastrami pale in comparison.

Come to think of it I haven't done that in a while. Now I'm hungry, dammit.

Success!!!!

The chili is great. I might be able to taste a slight difference in texture with the turkey but not much. I'm not saying I'd use ground turkey all the time. But since I had it, and needed to use it, this turned out great.

So any of you who want to follow in my footsteps

Get the Carroll Shelby Chili Mix

1 lb ground beef (probably the 80% lean)

1.25 lb ground turkey (this was the lean stuff-at least 90% lean

A 14 oz can of tomato sauce (note: the instructions say use an 8 oz can-but I used the 14- no problem)

A 14.5 can of diced tomatoes

1 onion chopped

*Garlic powder to taste

* Paprika to taste

* Oregano to taste

I browned the beef and turkey. I also added about 1/2 a chopped onion to the ground beef while it was browning.

So you put the browned meat in a pot. Add the spice packet from the mix. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. I added the other 1/2 of the onion (raw) to the chili at this point. I also added about half the cayenne pepper packet from the mix and about 1/2 the salt packet. Add paprika, garlic, and oregano if desired (the Chili spice packet has garlic and paprika already. I like extra!!;))

You let simmer covered for 15 minutes. Then to make it thicker-per the directions on the box-I took the masa flower packet-mixed it with 1/3 cup water-and stirred it into the chili. After that you let it simmer another 5 minutes-and VOILÀ. You are golden. Serve over Fritos or tortilla chips or with some crusty bread-I did both. :rolleyes:

For the pièce de résistance- Here it is!!!

File%20Mar%2004%2C%203%2029%2035%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

Is that Limoge's china you are serving on Gman ???? I like the way you worked that other thread about porcelaine in here !

SURE! First you must find a butcher that will sell the brisket with all the fat cap. None of this trimmed crap they sell in grocery stores. Brisket works best when it is slowly smoked with all of the fat rendering and dripping through the meat on its way to being collected at the bottom.

I've used dry rubs and wet rubs and I keep coming back to the dry rubs. I've used plain hickory chips, mixes of hickory with other aromatic woods, and even bourbon-soaked hickory. (A waste of good bourbon!) I keep coming back to plain hickory.

Actually, my favorite thing to do with brisket is the brining and smoking of a good pastrami. It makes ANY commercial pastrami pale in comparison.

Come to think of it I haven't done that in a while. Now I'm hungry, dammit.

Smoked broach it is good. I actually prefer smoked briscuit sandwiches on good bread, mayo, pickles, and onion.

But my reallyfavorite briscuit is the one my mother used to make with an onion gravy. First she would season the briscuit and brown it on top of the stove. Then make the gravy, pour it on, and stick the briscuit in the oven to finish. You want to talk about delicious. Yummmm. And then for leftovers-you can have it heated up over bread open-faced with gravy or eat it cold on a sandwich with mayo-DELISH. It was one of my favorite meals-along with mashed potatoes, green beans, and baked pearl onions smothered in butter, breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. When I was younger, I used to request this meal for my birthday dinner. When I was older, I'd request it when I came home on visits.

Is that Limoge's china you are serving on Gman ???? I like the way you worked that other thread about porcelaine in here !

Thanks-but is there a thread on porcelain?

Gman

Success!!!!

The chili is great. I might be able to taste a slight difference in texture with the turkey but not much. I'm not saying I'd use ground turkey all the time. But since I had it, and needed to use it, this turned out great.

So any of you who want to follow in my footsteps

Get the Carroll Shelby Chili Mix

1 lb ground beef (probably the 80% lean)

1.25 lb ground turkey (this was the lean stuff-at least 90% lean

A 14 oz can of tomato sauce (note: the instructions say use an 8 oz can-but I used the 14- no problem)

A 14.5 can of diced tomatoes

1 onion chopped

*Garlic powder to taste

* Paprika to taste

* Oregano to taste

I browned the beef and turkey. I also added about 1/2 a chopped onion to the ground beef while it was browning.

So you put the browned meat in a pot. Add the spice packet from the mix. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. I added the other 1/2 of the onion (raw) to the chili at this point. I also added about half the cayenne pepper packet from the mix and about 1/2 the salt packet. Add paprika, garlic, and oregano if desired (the Chili spice packet has garlic and paprika already. I like extra!!;))

You let simmer covered for 15 minutes. Then to make it thicker-per the directions on the box-I took the masa flower packet-mixed it with 1/3 cup water-and stirred it into the chili. After that you let it simmer another 5 minutes-and VOILÀ. You are golden. Serve over Fritos or tortilla chips or with some crusty bread-I did both. :rolleyes:

For the pièce de résistance- Here it is!!!

File%20Mar%2004%2C%203%2029%2035%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

YAY!!!

we make this recipe , it is easy and quick and very good.

top with cheese and sour cream if you like it. serve with chips.

http://weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/recipepage.aspx?recipeid=50509

Whether you follow this recipe or not, it gives you ideas of what you can put in your chili. If you are an instinctive cook rather than one who follows a recipe obsessively, you would have worked out that different mince [ground meat] and spices can go in your chili, and that different combinations of onions, grated carrots, chopped capsicum [red or green peppers] or chopped celery can go in, as can bacon if you don't need kosher/halal chili. I know beans or not beans is an issue, but if you include beans, red kidney beans or white beans (if you are making a light chili) can be used.

Gman won't add bacon because it's not halal, but otherwise it's a good idea.

I was tempted to say earlier and some others have mentioned it so I will say it now, finely cut or grated carrot and celery go well in any minced meat dish [sorry, ground meat] because they cook down readily and are a sneeky way of getting veggies into meat dishes. I add them to any casserole or stew because they thicken the dish.

As a private cook for 2 families with young children in the households, I am always trying to sneak veggies into the meal. This past week I made a tomato sauce that contained: carrots, celery, zucchini squash and butternut squash. I ground up the veggies to make a paste that i than added to the pot first to cook out some of the water. No one could tell in the finished product what I had done.

As a private cook for 2 families with young children in the households, I am always trying to sneak veggies into the meal. This past week I made a tomato sauce that contained: carrots, celery, zucchini squash and butternut squash. I ground up the veggies to make a paste that i than added to the pot first to cook out some of the water. No one could tell in the finished product what I had done.

Wow...kudos to you for figuring out how to make kidlets eat veggies. Perhaps you can write a cookbook.

Here's another way to make a veggie tomato sauce: cook the sauce w/the veggies and then puree in the blender or food processor. That siad, I am going to try your method. Thanks for the tip.

Who says these weird thread topics don't pay off in wonderful ways? This afternoon I'm having my first bowl of homemade chili thanks to a thoughtful, sweet, sexy companion in our site! Bonus: I know exactly what we are having for dessert. :D

d747f975009740c9840c42ce364f49a3.jpg

Wow...kudos to you for figuring out how to make kidlets eat veggies. Perhaps you can write a cookbook.

Here's another way to make a veggie tomato sauce: cook the sauce w/the veggies and then puree in the blender or food processor. That siad, I am going to try your method. Thanks for the tip.

It's a great idea, and the kids are lucky @craigville beach cares enough to go the extra mile. But unfortunately it's not a new idea I remember hearing Jerry Seinfeld speak on a late night show about his wife's new cookbook.

Book By Seinfeld's Wife Stirs Controversy

0 Comments

• CBSNEWS
  • CBS

Oct 23, 2007 9:34 AM EDT

infohttp://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2007/10/23/6e1b4e16-a642-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/thumbnail/640x360/803dddc00ecdc64ac6ce865211731649/image3397092x.jpg

Getty Images/Evan Agostini

It's a challenge that many parents face: getting the kids to eat their vegetables. Jessica Seinfeld, wife of comedian Jerry Seinfeld, thought she had the answer and wrote a book called "Deceptively Delicious" about how to hide vegetables within foods to trick children into eating them.

But first out of the gate in April was "The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals," by Missy Chase Lapine, published by the Running Press, an imprint owned by Perseus Books.

A former publisher of Eating Well magazine, Lapine writes about how she developed a "hiding technique" to get her picky daughters to eat what she wanted them to.

Then came "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food," by Jessica Seinfeld, published in early October by Collins, a division of HarperCollins. In it Jessica Seinfeld tells of a weekly ritual she and her husband have of creating dozens of containers of vegetable purees to be added to meals for their three kids during the week.

Readers on Amazon.com immediately began comparing the two, testing recipes to see which book they liked better. And after Seinfeld appeared on Oprah on Oct. 8, sales of the book took off.

Seinfeld said thank you to the talk show host by sending Winfrey 21 pairs of shoes.

No one is accusing anyone of plagiarism. The idea of putting pureed vegetables in kids' food has been written about elsewhere many times, and recipes on the Internet abound for such dishes as brownies spiked with spinach and pudding with avocado. But the timing of the two books has certainly stirred more than appetites.

"The overlap in recipes seems pretty suspicious," wrote one reviewer on Amazon. "It's a bit sad really."

Longtime cooking show host and co-host of "Victory Garden" on public television Sissy Biggers reviewed both books and found that the books are indeed set up the same way, but the premise both are based on is really nothing new.

"Both of them approach the concept of hiding and deceiving your children using pureed foods and sneaking them into other recipes," she told The Early Show co-host Harry Smith. "But I have to say that I think since the cave woman, moms have been grinding, pureeing, folding, layering to get their kids to eat something."

Collins says it's just coincidence, but Perseus says some details closely mirror one another.

"Our author has also expressed some concerns about the many similarities between the books, and we understand and share her concerns," the publishing company said in a statement.

2According to Steve Ross, president of Collins, his company received a 130-some page proposal from Lapine for her book in May 2006. The company rejected it because they believed it was similar to another book in the works called "Lunch Lessons" by Ann Cooper and Lisa Holmes.

In June 2006, Seinfeld submitted her proposal with the help of an agent, and HarperCollins representatives met with her, partly because of her high profile, Ross said.

At that meeting, staff who sampled her recipes for macaroni and cheese and meatballs were "wowed," he said.

"In person, she was such an articulate and passionate spokesperson and advocate for the idea of having your children eat nutritious foods," he said. The company acquired the rights to the book in June.

Meanwhile, Lapine got a deal with Running Press after an auction among six different publishers, she said. She also pitched Oprah several times.

"Missy's idea is a great one and I would have thought it would have been seized by a publisher and Oprah right away, but she's not a media mega-mom like Jessica Seinfeld," Biggers said.

Even the covers of the book are alike. The cover of "The Sneak Chef" features a chef cartoon holding carrots behind her back and winking. On "Deceptively Delicious" a woman is winking and has carrots on her cutting board.

Biggers said one recipe in particular gave her pause: the gilled cheese.

"Putting a puree of butternut squash in between two slices of cheese; that's pretty unique," she said. "And keep in mind that Jessica's book came out about six months after Missy Lapine's book did."

"I got really upset," said Lapine. "My visceral action was 'Oh my god.' I was, like, heartbroken. I knew there was a book coming out by a famous person that was so incredibly similar."

David Steinberger, president and CEO of The Perseus Books Group, said he wrote a letter to HarperCollins expressing concern about the similarities.

While Collins did modify the cover to put the carrots on a counter, Ross said that was not in response to the letter. The company made no other changes, Ross said.

"We reviewed the allegations and found them to be completely without merit," he said.

Steinberger said Perseus is trying to get more information on how the similarities may have happened.

Seinfeld said she has never seen or read "The Sneaky Chef."

"My book came from years of trying to get my own children to eat healthy foods -- my own trial and error in my own kitchen," she said in a statement. "The idea of pureeing vegetables has been around for decades."

Seinfeld's agent, Jennifer Rudolph Walsh from William Morris Agency, said she and Seinfeld began discussing the idea in 2005. She said the book was already being bound when "The Sneaky Chef" came out.

Lapine said she is not accusing anyone of anything. But she said it does "hurt" to see someone else given credit for her method.

But with Americans focused on obesity and getting kids to eat better, both books are doing well: Seinfeld's will reach No. 1 on The New York Times best-seller list for hardcover advice books Oct. 28, and Lapine's will be at No. 9 on the paperback counterpart list, according to the newspaper.

Collins is working around the clock to keep up with demand, Ross said, with 2.3 million copies of the book expected to be in print by the end of January.

Gman

d747f975009740c9840c42ce364f49a3.jpg

I love chocolate-really love chocolate. However I'm not much on oral. I'm especially not into swallowing a load. :confused: I might not be able to eat chocolate for a while after seeing this. :(

However on a chili related subject-I posted about my delicious chili on Facebook. A good acquaintance of mine from college asked why I hadn't made cornbread with my chili. I realized she was right. So about an hour ago, I mixed up a batch of Jiffy Cornbread Muffins.

I almost didn't as both boxes I had were out of date. I decided to look up on the Web to see whether anyone had suggestions for past 'Best Used By Cornbread.' The Jiffy Company's website didn't advise it. (HOW SHOCKING!!!:cool:)

But I found some other sites that people discussed the matter on. These weren't official sites like the US Dept. of Agriculture. But the people's responses seemed reasonable in this case. (Sometimes I would never follow their recommendations). But this time several people said as long as the mix smelled ok, didn't have mold (or bugs) it was probably ok except they might not rise as high due to the breakdown of the baking powder. One person on one site suggested adding some baking powder to the mix. And surprisingly enough, I had some. I'm not sure I've ever actually used baking powder before. I may have gotten it to use in my new bread machine I bought a couple of months ago. But I hadn't used it so far.

So I took my 2014 expired corn muffins out the oven just a bit ago and have them cooling. I'm just going to test taste one of these beauties now. They certainly look good. Yum Yum......... ack, ack, gargle...call th-**^{]£¥€• doct...er:eek:

Actually the muffin tasted great. Except I didn't hear the timer, so they are just a bit overdone. But still delicious. And here they are. And once again I've plated them on my fancy china for @jjkrkwood ;)special enjoyment!! I'm about to rewarm the chili and muffins for my lunch.

File%20Mar%2005%2C%201%2050%2025%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

I love chocolate-really love chocolate. However I'm not much on oral. I'm especially not into swallowing a load. :confused: I might not be able to eat chocolate for a while after seeing this. :(

However on a chili related subject-I posted about my delicious chili on Facebook. A good acquaintance of mine from college asked why I hadn't made cornbread with my chili. I realized she was right. So about an hour ago, I mixed up a batch of Jiffy Cornbread Muffins.

I almost didn't as both boxes I had were out of date. I decided to look up on the Web to see whether anyone had suggestions for past 'Best Used By Cornbread.' The Jiffy Company's website didn't advise it. (HOW SHOCKING!!!:cool:)

But I found some other sites that people discussed the matter on. These weren't official sites like the US Dept. of Agriculture. But the people's responses seemed reasonable in this case. (Sometimes I would never follow their recommendations). But this time several people said as long as the mix smelled ok, didn't have mold (or bugs) it was probably ok except they might not rise as high due to the breakdown of the baking powder. One person on one site suggested adding some baking powder to the mix. And surprisingly enough, I had some. I'm not sure I've ever actually used baking powder before. I may have gotten it to use in my new bread machine I bought a couple of months ago. But I hadn't used it so far.

So I took my 2014 expired corn muffins out the oven just a bit ago and have them cooling. I'm just going to test taste one of these beauties now. They certainly look good. Yum Yum......... ack, ack, gargle...call th-**^{]£¥€• doct...er:eek:

Actually the muffin tasted great. Except I didn't hear the timer, so they are just a bit overdone. But still delicious. And here they are. And once again I've plated them on my fancy china for @jjkrkwood ;)special enjoyment!! I'm about to rewarm the chili and muffins for my lunch.

File%20Mar%2005%2C%201%2050%2025%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

Gman, cut the muffins in half, and spoon the chili over them. Sorta like an open-faced sandwich. DELISH !

Who says these weird thread topics don't pay off in wonderful ways? This afternoon I'm having my first bowl of homemade chili thanks to a thoughtful, sweet, sexy companion in our site! Bonus: I know exactly what we are having for dessert. :D

How was the chili?

Gman

How was the chili?

Gman

Thanks for asking. He warned me it wasn't going to be a traditional recipe. He made a delectable black bean and chicken chili with diced tomatoes. He served it with chips & sour cream. He is originally from Houston and said his was a Tex Mex version. It was plated beautifully & tasty - just like dessert. ;)

Thanks for asking. He warned me it wasn't going to be a traditional recipe. He made a delectable black bean and chicken chili with diced tomatoes. He served it with chips & sour cream. He is originally from Houston and said his was a Tex Mex version. It was plated beautifully & tasty - just like dessert. ;)

I'm glad it looked pretty and was tasty. I'm going to have to dispute with him though. I'm from Texas, and I once lived in Houston for 7-1/2 years. I don't ever remember seeing a chicken and black bean chili at a traditional Tex-Mex restaurant. If it is at a Tex-Mex place, it would probably be a restaurant serving nouveau dishes.

But I'm just as curious about the dessert!!:rolleyes:

Gman

I'm glad it looked pretty and was tasty. I'm going to have to dispute with him though. I'm from Texas, and I once lived in Houston for 7-1/2 years. I don't ever remember seeing a chicken and black bean chili at a traditional Tex-Mex restaurant. If it is at a Tex-Mex place, it would probably be a restaurant serving nouveau dishes.

But I'm just as curious about the dessert!!:rolleyes:

Gman

Lol! I dunno, sweet man. Being that I was a chili virgin, I wasn't going to challenge its provenance. Now, I feel like this escort didn't deliver me a full experience. I demand a redo with extended dessert time! Since he is reading this post, he knows I'm having seconds and thirds.

I make a chili with ground turkey and roasted butternut squash. The base is this organic tomato/pepper soup that you get in a box. It might sound too healthy to be good but it is excellent and not bad for you at all. I shake some feta on top and maybe serve with bread and it's fantastic.

Archived