Chili With Ground Turkey Versus Ground Beef?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2987 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I cant do Ground Turkey...I just cant

giphy.gif

I guess I will see after making it whether I agree with you or not. The turkey is defrosting in the fridge even as I write this.

On a side note-incredible new avatar @Jock123!! I'm going to assume-hopefully without making a donkey of myself-that it's an actual picture of you. I can imagine you're clients must be very happy men. :rolleyes:

Gman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just took a closer look at the turkey package. It's only 1-1/4 pound. The chili mix I use-yes, I use a mix. It's Carroll Shelby's mix. I've made it multiple times. It's always been good. The last time it was still good, but I think I added a bit too much salt.

Anyway the mix is designed for 2 pounds of meat. Anyone think using the 1-1/4 quarter pound of turkey and adding a pound of ground beef to it would be bad?

Gman

@curiousnomore -I assume you are disliking the use of turkey in chili.

Whoops-@Nvr2Thick-I'm sorry I wasn't ignoring your post. I thought I had read a suggestion about mixing meats. But when I went back to read this thread, I couldn't find it.

Gman

I have suggested going with half turkey / half ground beef. It was my last bullet. It can help with the blandness of turkey meat, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the objective was a healthier chili with turkey. As you may have noticed a lot of guys like to play with their meat

-in chili; they like to mix it up. The last time I made chili the meat was 50/50 ground beef and sweet pork sausage. Because all the chili ingredients cover up so much, chili was one of the best uses of deer meat I've ever experienced as well.

If you use beef broth then add a bit of fat, either bacon or a bit of lard. It adds to the "mouth feel".

It can help with the blandness of turkey meat, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the objective was a healthier chili with turkey. :)

From my experience it depends upon the type of recipe you use. If you use beef broth then add a bit of fat, either bacon or a bit of lard. It adds to the "mouth feel".

If you are a tomato base only person. Sauce, juice or chopped (fresh or canned) add some fat and either soy sauce or a bit of fish sauce to boost the flavor.

In either case, I generally increase the cumin and peppers a bit to add flavor.

The texture should be fine. Brown properly to reduce moisture that is often added to ground turkey to make up for the lack of fat.

Side note, I find ground turkey to be great in tacos. All the fixings cover any flaws.

It can help with the blandness of turkey meat, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the objective was a healthier chili with turkey. :)

Let me reassure you, @Nvr2Thick. Being healthy was the last thing on my mind when I started this. I was only trying to figure out a good way to use up my unexpected bounty of turkey.

Gman

m

It's not legal everywhere here, @mike carey. It depends on the state.

There are big proponents of it. But the market is still fairly small. I don't think these people realize how often people became ill from milk in centuries past.

Unless the process included pasteurizing the milk at some point, I still don't think I'd trust it.

Here's what I think is a sensible article on the subject @seaboy4hire.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/raw-milk-myths-busted/

Gman

Meh, I'll take my chances. I'm probably more likely to get e.coli from the produce thats been shitted on by the field workers than by raw milk. Now theres a pic, Juan and Lupe squatting over some beautiful Romain lettuce taking a big ole hot steaming number two holding each others hands in support.

Hugs,

Greg

Meh, I'll take my chances. I'm probably more likely to get e.coli from the produce thats been shitted on by the field workers than by raw milk. Now theres a pic, Juan and Lupe squatting over some beautiful Romain lettuce taking a big ole hot steaming number two holding each others hands in support.

Hugs,

Greg

I even rinse off bananas as I'm sure there are no port-a-potties with running water much less hand sanitizer in Latin American fields-or North American fields either for that matter.

But while raw milk can have E.coli-it can also have things like tuberculosis, Salmonella, Listeria, Campylobacter, Brucellosis. Even in countries where raw milk is all you can get, parents routinely boil it before giving it to infants. Raw milk can be especially dangerous for infants/children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. There have been various outbreaks of Listeria among pregnant women who have eaten unpasteurized soft Mexican cheeses. Listeria can cause miscarriages as well as deadly newborn infections.

Gman

I even rinse off bananas as I'm sure there are no port-a-potties with running water much less hand sanitizer in Latin American fields-or North American fields either for that matter.

But while raw milk can have E.coli-it can also have things like tuberculosis, Salmonella, Listeria, Campylobacter, Brucellosis. Even in countries where raw milk is all you can get, parents routinely boil it before giving it to infants. Raw milk can be especially dangerous for infants/children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. There have been various outbreaks of Listeria among pregnant women who have eaten unpasteurized soft Mexican cheeses. Listeria can cause miscarriages as well as deadly newborn infections.

Gman

2e0ad81.jpg

Chop some bacon and fry it before adding in the ground turkey. The rendered fat will add some of the flavor the lack of fat in the turkey brings to the mix. (And, really, what's not to like about bacon?)

Bacon "cures" all evils.

A friend gave me some ground turkey. I'm not sure I've ever had ground turkey before. I never order a turkey burger at hamburger places.

Anyone have any experience making turkey chili? Having never had turkey before, would I notice a lot of difference?

Gman

I make a "chunky" turkey chill with lots of veggies and various beans. Just last night for one of the families I cook for, I made the family turkey meat balls in homemade tomato sauce. I add a "paste" to the tomato sauce made from carrots and zucchini to add more veggies to the kids diets. No one was the wiser on what was in the sauce and ate it up.

I also make a turkey burger on the grill with lots of added worcestershire sauce sauce added. The added sauce gives the end product a more beef like taste.

Bacon "cures" all evils.

Gman won't add bacon because it's not halal, but otherwise it's a good idea.

I make a "chunky" turkey chill with lots of veggies and various beans.

I was tempted to say earlier and some others have mentioned it so I will say it now, finely cut or grated carrot and celery go well in any minced meat dish [sorry, ground meat] because they cook down readily and are a sneeky way of getting veggies into meat dishes. I add them to any casserole or stew because they thicken the dish.

Halal is for Muslims. For Jews the similar term is Kosher. But I wasn't brought up eating Kosher. A majority of American Jews don't keep Kosher. The older I get I do feel a bit guilty sometimes eating pork, but I still do it. :confused:

Gman

Halal is for Muslims. For Jews the similar term is Kosher. But I wasn't brought up eating Kosher. A majority of American Jews don't keep Kosher. The older I get I do feel a bit guilty sometimes eating pork, but I still do it. :confused:

Gman

My take on it is that if you suck non-Jewish cock, you can eat a friggin piece of bacon. It wont kill you.....

Gman

My take on it is that if you suck non-Jewish cock, you can eat a friggin piece of bacon. It wont kill you.....

It has nothing to do with being killed. I was always taught that there were some commandments for health, others you were supposed to do just because you were supposed to do them, and a third class with a mixture. The Laws Of Kashrut (Kosher) I think were supposed to be of the third type.

But another reason is probably separatism. If you want a group to remain homogenous-and apart from their neighbors-especially if they are a small group inside a larger country-what better way than making sure they can't break bread together?

Gman

It has nothing to do with being killed. I was always taught that there were some commandments for health, others you were supposed to do just because you were supposed to do them, and a third class with a mixture. The Laws Of Kashrut (Kosher) I think were supposed to be of the third type.

But another reason is probably separatism. If you want a group to remain homogenous-and apart from their neighbors-especially if they are a small group inside a larger country-what better way than making sure they can't break bread together?

Gman

Knowledge is an ongoing process, so what you may have been taught can evolve into something different with time... As long as you are open minded enough to "receive" the knowledge, you may find diff ways to understand and enjoy life. As evidenced by the evolution of this Ground turkey thread.

And Bacon really does go with EVERYTHING..... And non-kosher cock aint half bad ! ;)

McCormick's chili mix is excellent.... never fail to get rave reviews when I make it. Each packet is good for 1lb of ground beef or turkey.....

I've seen that. I'll try it. But the Carroll Shelby mix seems more complete to me. It even includes some masa flour to thicken the chili up if necessary.

My Dad used to represent Wick Fowler's Chili Mix. That always looked like a complete brand to me too. I'm not sure I ever tasted it though. But I haven't seen it in years.

Gman

McCormick's chili mix is excellent.... never fail to get rave reviews when I make it. Each packet is good for 1lb of ground beef or turkey.....

I've seen that. I'll try it. But the Carroll Shelby mix seems more complete to me. It even includes some masa flour to thicken the chili up if necessary.

My Dad used to represent Wick Fowler's Chili Mix. That always looked like a complete brand to me too. I'm not sure I ever tasted it though. But I haven't seen it in years.

Gman

Interesting. I just found out Wick Fowler's and Shelby's are made by the same company now.

Gman

I was tempted to say earlier and some others have mentioned it so I will say it now, finely cut or grated carrot and celery go well in any minced meat dish [sorry, ground meat] because they cook down readily and are a sneeky way of getting veggies into meat dishes. I add them to any casserole or stew because they thicken the dish.

Shedded carrots are also a great way to offset the acid in tomato based sauces, chili etc. So.E recipes call for sugar, carrots works just as well and add nutrients. :)

Archived