Chili With Ground Turkey Versus Ground Beef?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2987 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No, no, no, he said stop browning it when it's slightly pink so that it dries out less. You then cook it thoroughly with all the other ingredients so it will more than meet your 'cook well' requirements.

Browning till it caramelises is to achieve a different effect of giving the final result the browned colour. That may mean that it dries out, although stopping the stirring and letting it caramelise on one side should stop it drying out too much. Adding soy sauce can also help with the colour.

I appreciate the advice. But my ground beef, turkey, or whatever is basically always going to be nuked @mike carey before setting it to simmer with the tomatoes. Those E. coli are tricky buggers. Ya gotta get 'em right from the start.

Gman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try adding egg whites and oatmeal as both moisture and a binder.

I shred yellow and red onion into mine === onion liquefies as you grate it --- also finely shredding carrots and add shredded zucchini - it works well

In a chili?o_O

Gman

And @body2body says brown the meat deeply to carmelize it. A lot of the spices you mentioned are in the chili mix. But I usually add a lot of garlic powder as well as paprika. Plus there is a package of cayenne in the mix. I use one can tomato sauce -and then I'll probably use either diced or stewed tomatoes instead of water. I have to tell you though, @body2body that lips that eat cinnamon (or chocolate although you didn't mention it) and beans in chili will never touch mine. (I'm sure many of y'all are ecstatically jumping for joy at that pronouncement!!)

G-man, you will never find beans in my Chili. Years ago I was at a famous Tex Mex restaurant, and I asked the proprietor if her Chili had beans in it. She fixed her gaze on me and in a Texas twang she said " Honey, if its got beans in it, it ain't Chili". Her Chili was great, and her Butterscotch Ice Box pie was even better.

G-man, you will never find beans in my Chili. Years ago I was at a famous Tex Mex restaurant, and I asked the proprietor if her Chili had beans in it. She fixed her gaze on me and in a Texas twang she said " Honey, if its got beans in it, it ain't Chili". Her Chili was great, and her Butterscotch Ice Box pie was even better.

My mistake-I combined two posts. Yours @body2body and @Justice. He was the one who mentioned beans and cinnamon.

Gman

To Fast GMAN ---- I edited the post about 42 seconds after the post --- in Turkey Meatloaf.

I do have and really good - Ground turkey breast chili - Black and White and Red all Over Chili -- with Black/White/Red beans and Ground turkey Breast

No beans please. :confused:

Gman

I use ground turkey to make breakfast frittatas. This recipe came from my personal trainer.

1 lb. ground turkey

taco seasoning (as others have stated, the seasoning is needed)

3 green onions chopped

egg beaters

brown the turkey with the taco seasoning in a skillet. spoon the turkey into 20, greased muffin tins. add the green onion and fill the tins with egg beaters. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. One serving is four frittatas. I bag them in 4 to a sandwich baggie, and heat up one bag for breakfast.

I use ground turkey to make breakfast frittatas. This recipe came from my personal trainer.

1 lb. ground turkey

3 green onions chopped

egg beaters

brown the turkey with the taco seasoning in a skillet. spoon the turkey into 20, greased muffin tins. add the green onion and fill the tins with egg beaters. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. One serving is four frittatas. I bag them in 4 to a sandwich baggie, and heat up one bag for breakfast.

I would look online and make a seasoning from scratch. Those packets are too salty for my delicate tastes lol

Hugs,

Greg

1 lb. ground turkey

3 green onions chopped

egg beaters

This sounds good!!!

It wouldn't be as healthy. But I'd probably take the frittatas and stuff several into a whole wheat pita pocket or a corn or flour tortilla with pico de gallo and salsa!!!

Gman

This sounds good!!!

It wouldn't be as healthy. But I'd probably take the frittatas and stuff several into a whole wheat pita pocket or a corn or flour tortilla with pico de gallo and salsa!!!

Gman

I'll bring the raw milk! What times breakfast!

Hugs,

Greg

Hugs,

Greg

Hugs,

Greg

Your welcome anytime. But Greg @seaboy4hire, there's a reason G-d invented pasteurization. I'll have to read up and see if boiling raw milk on a stove then cooling and making chocolate milk is safe. Much like beans, chocolate, or cinnamon in chili-lips that touch raw milk will never touch mine. Boy I'm making even more people happy tonight. :rolleyes:

Gman

Your welcome anytime. But Greg @seaboy4hire, there's a reason G-d invented pasteurization. I'll have to read up and see if boiling raw milk on a stove to make cooling and making chocolate milk is safe. Much like beans, chocolate, or cinnamon in chili-lips that touch raw milk will never touch mine. Boy I'm making even more people happy tonight. :rolleyes:

Gman

I drink it off and on when I'm in the area it is sold in and it tastes way better than the junk at the store. Try a sip and you'll love it! Nice sweet taste with a touch of grassiness to it.

Hugs,

Greg

I drink it off and on when I'm in the area it is sold in and it tastes way better than the junk at the store. Try a sip and you'll love it! Nice sweet taste with a touch of grassiness to it.

Hugs,

Greg

I just can't. It's not safe. It can cause infections. But I get a bit of the sweetness when I buy Lactaid Milk.

Gman

Your welcome anytime. But Greg @seaboy4hire, there's a reason G-d invented pasteurization. I'll have to read up and see if boiling raw milk on a stove then cooling and making chocolate milk is safe. Much like beans, chocolate, or cinnamon in chili-lips that touch raw milk will never touch mine. Boy I'm making even more people happy tonight. :rolleyes:

Gman

At leaat we are in agreement on the cinnamon, chocolate and pink chicken. No no no no to all that.

Hugs,

Greg

Selling unpasteurised milk for human consumption is illegal here, but it is sold as cosmetic milk or bath milk (yes I'm serious) and people buy it to drink. A 3yo died from drinking it a year or so back. Interestingly there was a Canadian self-styled guerilla cheesemaker on the radio here this morning. He makes cheese from unpasteruised milk in his kitchen for family and friends. He says he wouldn't drink the milk because it is too risky but is happy to make cheese from it because the process allows him to monitor its reactions and judge signs of danger. His view is that in small scale commercial production it's easy to test the cheese all through the process to be reasonably sure that it is safe.

Selling unpasteurised milk for human consumption is illegal here, but it is sold as cosmetic milk or bath milk (yes I'm serious) and people buy it to drink. A 3yo died from drinking it a year or so back. Interestingly there was a Canadian self-styled guerilla cheesemaker on the radio here this morning. He makes cheese from unpasteruised milk in his kitchen for family and friends. He says he wouldn't drink the milk because it is too risky but is happy to make cheese from it because the process allows him to monitor its reactions and judge signs of danger. His view is that in small scale commercial production it's easy to test the cheese all through the process to be reasonably sure that it is safe.
m

It's not legal everywhere here, @mike carey. It depends on the state.

There are big proponents of it. But the market is still fairly small. I don't think these people realize how often people became ill from milk in centuries past.

Unless the process included pasteurizing the milk at some point, I still don't think I'd trust it.

Here's what I think is a sensible article on the subject @seaboy4hire.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/raw-milk-myths-busted/

Gman

I read the article @seaboy4hire. I've got to say it makes the same kind of over the top claims that most of these types of articles do. If unpasteurized milk is good-there is nothing that the pasteurization process adds to the milk that can make it bad. Yes there are enzymes and some fats that get broken down. But I just can't see how that would actually be harmful. The article I quoted above and repeat here makes more scientific sense and a better case for not drinking it.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/raw-milk-myths-busted/

Gman

What a great thread. better than the peanut butter one. Now I'm hungry. My thoughts? Carroll Shelby is/was the bomb, and his chili is pretty damn good too. That said... turkey chili is an acquired taste, sorta like a turkey burger...enough said. ;)

There was a peanut butter one? It sounds vaguely familiar-but in my dotage I can't bring it definitely to mind. If I didn't answer it before-crunchy. The smooth gets stuck more easily to the roof of my mouth. It's easier to get the crunchy out of there.

Gman

Danger!! Danger!!! Will Robinson!!!! Oh no-I have conflicting viewpoints. :(

I like a lot of your suggestions, @rvwnsd. But you are telling me to leave the turkey mildly pink-and I'm going to have to say nay to that. I'm sorry that grosses me out. I'm a medium well to well-done kind of guy ...

When you cook the chili you will cook the turkey the rest of the way.

And @body2body says brown the meat deeply to carmelize it. A lot of the spices you mentioned are in the chili mix. But I usually add a lot of garlic powder as well as paprika. Plus there is a package of cayenne in the mix. I use one can tomato sauce -and then I'll probably use either diced or stewed tomatoes instead of water. I have to tell you though, @body2body that lips that eat cinnamon (or chocolate although you didn't mention it) and beans in chili will never touch mine. (I'm sure many of y'all are ecstatically jumping for joy at that pronouncement!!)

Gman

My experience with turkey is that, unlike beef, it does not brown deeply. It just gets dry. You are better off using 93% or 90% lean turkey, but you have what you have.

What a great thread. better than the peanut butter one. Now I'm hungry. My thoughts? Carroll Shelby is/was the bomb, and his chili is pretty damn good too.
Omigosh-I never made the connection before. Apparently he started the Terlingua Chili Cookoff!!!

That said... turkey chili is an acquired taste, sorta like a turkey burger...enough said. ;)

Maybe you'd like the frittata recipe @sam.fitzpatrick posted better?

When you cook the chili you will cook the turkey the rest of the way.

My experience with turkey is that, unlike beef, it does not brown deeply. It just gets dry. You are better off using 93% or 90% lean turkey, but you have what you have.

I think the package says 93% lean. But you're right. As I didn't buy it, I'll have to use what I have. Hopefully mixing it with the ground beef and serving with Fritos or tortilla chips will make up any deficiencies

Gman

Archived