Chili With Ground Turkey Versus Ground Beef?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2987 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Times published a series on favorite recipes of US presidents during an inauguration season. I think it was the second Clinton or Bush 43 first, my memory is fuzzy on the timing. But the standout for me was Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales River Chili recipe.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013630-lady-bird-johnsons-pedernales-river-chili

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/PedernalesChili.htm

This is my favorite chili and I've made it many times over the years. It's simple to make and the balance of flavors is perfection.

"Chili concocted outside of Texas is usually a weak, apologetic initation of the real thing. One of the first things I do when I get home to Texas is to have a bowl of red. There is simply nothing better." - by Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th President of the United States

For realz. Any restaurant leads welcome

If you like hot dogs and you live somewhere either near a Wienerschnitzel, A & W, Dairy Queen, or a Sonic franchise, they have good chili dogs. But it's not really homemade type chili. If you can brown ground beef, I'd get a Carroll Shelby's box mix and make a batch yourself. It's really easy, and it doesn't take that long.

Stay away from any joint that says it has Cincinnati style chili. They use either cinnamon or chocolate. And I'm sorry folks, that's just wrong.

Gman

The New York Times published a series on favorite recipes of US presidents during an inauguration season. I think it was the second Clinton or Bush 43 first, my memory is fuzzy on the timing. But the standout for me was Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales River Chili recipe.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013630-lady-bird-johnsons-pedernales-river-chili

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/PedernalesChili.htm

This is my favorite chili and I've made it many times over the years. It's simple to make and the balance of flavors is perfection.

"Chili concocted outside of Texas is usually a weak, apologetic initation of the real thing. One of the first things I do when I get home to Texas is to have a bowl of red. There is simply nothing better." - by Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th President of the United States

PLEASE NOTE there are no beans in Lady Bird's chili.....traditional chili never had beans....added later by Yankees as filler

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2015/01/chili_history_there_are_no_beans_in_san_antonio_s_specialty.html

PLEASE NOTE there are no beans in Lady Bird's chili.....traditional chili never had beans....added later by Yankees as filler

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2015/01/chili_history_there_are_no_beans_in_san_antonio_s_specialty.html

I noticed! I happen to like chili with beans unless it's being used on hot dogs. But I'm also a Yankee.

Gman won't add bacon because it's not halal, but otherwise it's a good idea.

Halal is for Muslims. For Jews the similar term is Kosher. But I wasn't brought up eating Kosher. A majority of American Jews don't keep Kosher. The older I get I do feel a bit guilty sometimes eating pork, but I still do it. :confused:

Gman

Umm, yes, I'm aware of that, it was a deliberate error.

Naughty naughty, @mike carey. o_O Although strangely enough, some Moslems are allowed, if they can't find Halal food, to eat Kosher food as it's more common.

Gman

Exactly, the beans can add a waxy flavor that covers the nuances of the spices.

For a different enhancement consider adding cocoa powder to most any chili recipe. This adds a subtle taste that qualifies as a "secret ingredient" some chili chefs won't share with others.

For a different enhancement consider adding cocoa powder to most any chili recipe. This adds a subtle taste that qualifies as a "secret ingredient" some chili chefs won't share with others.

Yep. People think of cocoa as a sweet ingredient but it works well in savory dishes too. (See: Mexican mole sauce.)

Stay away from any joint that says it has Cincinnati style chili. They use either cinnamon or chocolate. And I'm sorry folks, that's just wrong.

Gman

At a chili cook-off I was told by a Cincinnati chili fan that "the trick is to add just a touch of cinnamon - so you can't quite taste it." My friend said, "We do that all the time just by not putting in any cinnamon."

Honey is another dubious secret ingredient.

Success!!!!

The chili is great. I might be able to taste a slight difference in texture with the turkey but not much. I'm not saying I'd use ground turkey all the time. But since I had it, and needed to use it, this turned out great.

So any of you who want to follow in my footsteps

Get the Carroll Shelby Chili Mix

1 lb ground beef (probably the 80% lean)

1.25 lb ground turkey (this was the lean stuff-at least 90% lean

A 14 oz can of tomato sauce (note: the instructions say use an 8 oz can-but I used the 14- no problem)

A 14.5 can of diced tomatoes

1 onion chopped

*Garlic powder to taste

* Paprika to taste

* Oregano to taste

I browned the beef and turkey. I also added about 1/2 a chopped onion to the ground beef while it was browning.

So you put the browned meat in a pot. Add the spice packet from the mix. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. I added the other 1/2 of the onion (raw) to the chili at this point. I also added about half the cayenne pepper packet from the mix and about 1/2 the salt packet. Add paprika, garlic, and oregano if desired (the Chili spice packet has garlic and paprika already. I like extra!!;))

You let simmer covered for 15 minutes. Then to make it thicker-per the directions on the box-I took the masa flower packet-mixed it with 1/3 cup water-and stirred it into the chili. After that you let it simmer another 5 minutes-and VOILÀ. You are golden. Serve over Fritos or tortilla chips or with some crusty bread-I did both. :rolleyes:

For the pièce de résistance- Here it is!!!

File%20Mar%2004%2C%203%2029%2035%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

Archived