411 on Southern California pros

Strafe13
This topic is 2716 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would NEVER recommend taking public transit from WeHo to downtown LA.

I took public transport from WeHo to LAX, not a wonderful experience (and I had time to kill), BUT, the bus I took from WeHo went to Union Station (from where I could have caught the flyer bus or whatever it's called) but I changed to the MetroRail at Hollywood and did the two changes on it to get to LAX. If you have time and a TAP card it's a max of $7 for the day on public transport (you have to load a day pass on your card, can do at any station or on any bus I think). Also, I'm not fit so carrying my 16kg bag on transfers wasn't fun! If I were going downtown from WeHo to see things in that area without luggage, I wouldn't hesitate to use transit. I now have recommendations for a few attractions to see in LA and public transport would mostly work for them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took public transport from WeHo to LAX, not a wonderful experience (and I had time to kill), BUT, the bus I took from WeHo went to Union Station (from where I could have caught the flyer bus or whatever it's called) but I changed to the MetroRail at Hollywood and did the two changes on it to get to LAX. If you have time and a TAP card it's a max of $7 for the day on public transport (you have to load a day pass on your card, can do at any station or on any bus I think). Also, I'm not fit so carrying my 16kg bag on transfers wasn't fun! If I were going downtown from WeHo to see things in that area without luggage, I wouldn't hesitate to use transit. I now have recommendations for a few attractions to see in LA and public transport would mostly work for them.

To clarify my statement, one could take public transit (or walk) from WeHo to Hollywood and Highland and catch the Metro or walk down to Wilshire and take the bus to the Wilshire/Western Metro. That would actually not be a bad trip. However, if one wishes to take a direct route (e.g. Santa Monica Blvd) the bus ride to the Santa Monica/Vermont station takes a long time and can get scary east of LaBrea.

To clarify my statement, one could take public transit (or walk) from WeHo to Hollywood and Highland and catch the Metro or walk down to Wilshire and take the bus to the Wilshire/Western Metro. That would actually not be a bad trip. However, if one wishes to take a direct route (e.g. Santa Monica Blvd) the bus ride to the Santa Monica/Vermont station takes a long time and can get scary east of LaBrea.

Hey, I appreciate that I am the wide eyed foreigner who is oblivious to the scary bits, I was just saying what I did last month!

Hey, I appreciate that I am the wide eyed foreigner who is oblivious to the scary bits, I was just saying what I did last month!

No worries. I know LA pretty well and decided to take the Santa Monica Blvd bus to the Metro instead of waiting for the bus to Hollywood and Highland. Not sure what I was thinking.

First let me state that I was born and raised here in Southern California, thus I am wedded to my car.

Efficient and effective public transportation in Southern California is something that works really only in the mind of academic municipal planners. Cities as different as Paris, Madrid, New York, Tokyo, and San Francisco have extensive public transportation systems that work, although they require huge infusions of public funds to operate. To the best of my knowledge only London has a public transportation system that is self-supporting. The one characteristic all of these cities share is a highly concentrated central city center. People commute from surrounding suburbs into the city center to fill a wide range of jobs. These jobs include people who earn incomes from high to low.

It has been said for many years, with more than a small grain of truth, that Los Angeles isn’t really a city but rather a series of suburbs masquerading as a city. Los Angeles civic center is NOT much more than a government center. Recently it has also become something of a center for various entrainment venues. Most of Southern California’s major businesses and are NOT located in downtown Los Angeles. These businesses are spread throughout the entire Southern California basin. Some are located in the San Fernando Valley, some are located in the West Side, some are located in Long Beach and some are located in Orange County. Most high income earners who work in these far flung areas tend to live near and thus don’t require mass transit. Thus the people most likely to use a mass transit system are low income earners – service industry personal and low income corporate employees. With this limited ridership the system will require huge infusions of public funds and will likely remain underused.

• 10 months later...
Does anyone have any information on these guys based in San Diego? I may be in that area in February, and am considering treating myself.

Real Jock (http://rentmen.com/RealJock

TrevorA was asked about here in this thread, avoid. Drug addled smoker, I had to run.

Top Hung Jock (http://rentmen.com/TOPHUNGJOCK), whose profile recently expired

I've taken a fancy to some guys in the L.A. area as well:

http://rentmen.com/Sexymann

http://rentmen.com/TrevorA

http://rentmen.com/MSTRLUKE

Thanks in advance for your help.

TrevorA was asked about in this original thread. I would AVOID. Private Message for more.

3 hours??? only in the worst traffic maybe. It's only 120 miles...2 hours

I live in San Diego. From San Diego to Los Angeles before 8:30 PM is a minimum of three hours. In the evening it might be two and a half. You can shave some time off if you take the 110 toll lanes (but you must have a FastTrak transponder) and the 73 toll road through Orange County.

Archived