is big brother watching?

craigville beach
This topic is 3155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently I found myself involuntarily retired (i.e.: fired) after working in my field for 45 years. After getting over the PTSD that came along with what had been going on for the prior 24 months I started to look around for something to do. I found a part time position driving a young man around to various doctors appointments and the family asked if I would be willing to cook their dinner. Not being conceited but I am a very good cook. I agreed to cook their weekday evening meal. Approaching this new assignment I realized that working for a very wealthy family, I may be recorded within the house. I decided to just accept that this was most likely going on and would approach each day as if I was being watched. It didn't make any difference in my day. I still chose to do everything with the utmost respect of this family, their home, and food safety. I wonder in todays world how many of us have changed or kept to the same behavior patterns as always when dealing in this age of "big brother".

haven't changed any habits.....only place I'd be worried about surveillance is in certain hotel rooms I rent or visit.....but I don't think big brother is looking in there (when I'm there!)......

good luck with your nice new gig......you waited 45 years for it?!!.....

Since our medical office, like most others, has switched to electronic medical records, the directions to the patients are all printed and the copy saved for posterity. Before leaving, the patient signs a statement stating that he has been given these instructions and understands them. It's nice to no longer have patients say "but you never told me," without iron-clad proof that I did. Before that, it was just the record that I had said it, and the nurse's. But this way, there's no argument. Sometimes I'd like the whole visit videotaped. I personally like the idea that everything gets videotaped. I especially would like to see everything the cops do videotaped. This way there's no hanky-panky from either side. Videotaping encourages good behavior. I think that almost every street in London, England is under video surveillance. I think one can leave videotapes out of toilets and bedrooms, though.

What I don't understand is how someone can have worked for 45 years and not saved enough to retire by that time (especially since, apparently, there was no pension on golden parachute at this place).

What I don't understand is how someone can have worked for 45 years and not saved enough to retire by that time (especially since, apparently, there was no pension on golden parachute at this place).

I started in banking at age 19. I make lunch for 25 seniors 2x a week, I drive seniors to doctor appointments and help them out with small tasks around their homes. I applied to this family as a driver and the meal making was the result of them asking me if I would. I'm having more fun than I have had in years and more active than I ever thought I would/could be. I live in a semi-rural community and I have met more people in town in the last 7 months than I have in the 30 years I just slept here after working all day. It isn't about the money.

Since our medical office, like most others, has switched to electronic medical records, the directions to the patients are all printed and the copy saved for posterity. Before leaving, the patient signs a statement stating that he has been given these instructions and understands them. It's nice to no longer have patients say "but you never told me," without iron-clad proof that I did. Before that, it was just the record that I had said it, and the nurse's. But this way, there's no argument. Sometimes I'd like the whole visit videotaped. I personally like the idea that everything gets videotaped. I especially vwould like to see everything the cops do videotaped. This way there's no hanky-panky from either side. Videotaping encourages good behavior. I think that almost every street in London, England is under video surveillance. I think one can leave videotapes out of toilets and bedrooms, though.

Are you suggesting by your comment that sometimes you'd like the entire visit by a patient videotaped that it would include the examination? I would never consent to the examination part being videotaped, that's creepy.

As for working 45 years and not having saved enough to retire, assuming that's the case in this thread given I don't see that the poster couldn't retire and maybe is just looking for work to keep busy, maybe there were issues during the persons lifetime (personal illness, illness of a family member, buying a home in the US at the wrong time, they have heavily contributed to the poor, etc.). There is always the matter of "what's enough". So many financial planners will tell even people with millions that they haven't saved enough.

Are you suggesting by your comment that sometimes you'd like the entire visit by a patient videotaped that it would include the examination? I would never consent to the examination part being videotaped, that's creepy.

As for working 45 years and not having saved enough to retire, assuming that's the case in this thread given I don't see that the poster couldn't retire and maybe is just looking for work to keep busy, maybe there were issues during the persons lifetime (personal illness, illness of a family member, buying a home in the US at the wrong time, they have heavily contributed to the poor, etc.). There is always the matter of "what's enough". So many financial planners will tell even people with millions that they haven't saved enough.

And a lot of people who had "enough" saved lost that "enough" in the financial collapse or found themselves in positions that required them to spend down their retirement savings early.

I'm thankful every day that I lost my nerve a couple of weeks before the market crash in 2008 and went all to cash, so I didn't lose anything. I had read an article in WSJ that mentioned that even professional fund managers were on the sidelines waiting for the volatility in the market to cool. I asked myself, "If people who do this for a living can't handle this market, what am I doing in it," and I sold everything that day.

This reminds me of the 1992 campaign when George Bush the father, admitted that he did not know the price of a gallon of milk. Ah, the every day concerns of the hoi polloi do not seep into the minds of those who can afford to not to understand the tribulations of the less fortunate.

This reminds me of the 1992 campaign when George Bush the father, admitted that he did not know the price of a gallon of milk. Ah, the every day concerns of the hoi polloi do not seep into the minds of those who can afford to not to understand the tribulations of the less fortunate.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-24/oligarch-recovery-30-million-americans-have-tapped-retirement-savings-early-last-yea

Big Brother may or may not be watching, but he does pretty much own everything these days.

That's right - and he had never seen a scanner in grocery store.

This reminds me of the 1992 campaign when George Bush the father, admitted that he did not know the price of a gallon of milk.

That's right - and he had never seen a scanner in grocery store.

I fail to see what the big deal was. (Politicians here have had gotcha moments when they didn't know the price of a bottle of milk or a loaf of bred too.) Would it have been that unusual for a man of his age never to have set foot in a grocery shop? Most such men would never have been the one in the household to buy the milk.

I fail to see what the big deal was. (Politicians here have had gotcha moments when they didn't know the price of a bottle of milk or a loaf of bred too.) Would it have been that unusual for a man of his age never to have set foot in a grocery shop? Most such men would never have been the one in the household to buy the milk.

Combined with his enormous wealth, it was seen as evidence that he was out of touch with the electorate. He served a single term, but I don't think it was just because he didn't know the price of a bottle of milk and hadn't seen the inside of a grocery store. He just wasn't a good president.

The OP has already stated that his work is not about the money. However, even had he not stated that it is unwise to make an assumptions that a) he had not saved enough to retire and b) there was no retirement plan or severance package at the company. There are plenty of retirees who work because they want to, not because they have to.

Are you suggesting by your comment that sometimes you'd like the entire visit by a patient videotaped that it would include the examination? I would never consent to the examination part being videotaped, that's creepy...

I agree with Frequentflier. I would not consent to such a thing. My guess is no practice in the US would do this out of concerns for potential Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) violations and/or the cost of making sure videotaping was done in a way that it complied with HIPAA.

I was reminded of that George Bush moment as it was an example of someone being out of touch with everyday concerns many people face. Unicorn made the statement that he could not understand how someone could work for 45 years and not have saved enough to retire. Well I know lots and lots and lots and lots of people who are in that position. That he may not understand how that could be exhibits to me, the same type of disconnect. My guess is Unicorn, being an intelligent person, just expressed his surprise in a very general way which made him come off and being elitist and aristocratic in the way that George Bush came off in that debate in 1992. Why that thought came to me, I do not know, perhaps because his spawn is running for president.

Archived