I Just Took This Online Grammar Quiz

Gar1eth
This topic is 3171 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find two errors in it. Let's not reveal what they are openly. If you take it and find them, send me a Conversation. I'll reveal the answers on Thursday.

http://contently.com/strategist/2015/05/18/quiz-are-you-a-true-grammar-expert/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paidsocial&utm_campaign=grammar-quizM

Gman

I had about the same success rate as I did for the test for citizenship...:(

I would agree that one question has two correct answers, depending on how many people were met. I also believe there is another wrong answer.

I think we are in agreement about the first one (of course I chose the wrong correct answer) and I thought that one other was wrong as well. Consequently I ain't gonna loose any sleep regarding my score

I only noticed one incorrect answer, and I wouldn't so much say that the test's answer was incorrect as that there were actually two correct answers for that question.

Yes, that's the only one I missed. I'm pretty sure either version is acceptable. MsGuy has always been my go-to comma man, but he's probably busy on Flirt4Free brushin' up on his Russian. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I should have got that strange word definition wrong too, but even a blind hog gets an acorn once in a while. Or should that be once in awhile? http://r13.imgfast.net/users/1311/16/41/09/smiles/1814739676.gif

So I scored 86% (2 "incorrect.") One of the "incorrect" answers was to the Denzel Washington question. There are actually two correct answers.

Bad test, bad, bad, bad. One of the questions is about the origin of a word, another is about spelling, and a third is about a "word" definition. These are not grammar points, people.

Agreed. My other "incorrect" answer was to the question about the term coined by David Foster Wallace. That was not a grammar question.

I agree about the symbols question and the definition of SNOOT as items that shouldn't have been on the test.

The 1st error I saw is in question #1 Chris' cars is perfectly correct.

The next error is in question #3. But it's not the answer. Taking what we know of Denzil Washington-the only answer that makes sense is the one they give. However the error is in the question itself. The sentence should have used 'whom' instead of 'who'.

100%, but the "click anywhere to proceed" is incorrect. it would only proceed for me if I clicked on the answer I'd given.

Well when I clicked anywhere to proceed I clicked so violently when nothing would happen that things did in fact proceed and I inadvertently clicked on a wrong answer.

So as noted above: bad, badder, baddest test ever!

After ze Yale literature degree and 30+ years editing as part of the biz: grammar & usage & punctuation are what I say they are. :p

No milord, I beg to differ. Grammar, usage, and punctuation are what I say they are. Furthermore, uncountable legions of gurus (guri?) each have (has?) the exact same (redundant?) opinion of their (his/her?) own judgement judgment.

Now let's fight about the serial comma. That'll truly throw this thread off the spool.

(<<Does "ze" indicate a degree in French?>> demande-t-il avec espoir.)

Guest Starbuck
After ze Yale literature degree and 30+ years editing as part of the biz: grammar & usage & punctuation are what I say they are. :p

I thot in anuther, thred yew! sed yew went to Jale ... oh; no, weight a minut: that was that Kim Davis. Never mind.

Archived