Supremes about to rule...

dutchmuch
This topic is 3275 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All today's opinions are already released. And they did NOT say that tomorrow will be the last day of the term, which means that it won't be. We will have opinions on Monday. So it could come down tomorrow (Friday), but MUCH more likely on Monday (after Pride, alas).

Kevin Slater

John Roberts (W.) is not Earl Warren (Eisenhower), William O. Douglas (FDR), Thurgood Marshall (Johnson) or William Brennan (Eisenhower), but his vote today gives me great hope that Supreme Court will approve gay marriage in the next few days.

I don't know that Roberts will go all the way to a Constitutional right, but I'll bet he will uphold some form of recognition, such as requiring states without same sex marriage to give full recognition to marriages performed in other states.

I can't remember where I read this, but I did read that they rarely issue opinions on a Friday. That they ARE issuing opinions tomorrow (Friday, June 26) is said to be a hint that it'll be pro-gay-marriage, in that two other pro-gay decisions were also issued on June 26: United States vs Windsor, the invalidation of DOMA, on June 26 2013, and Lawrence vs Texas, striking down the Texas sodomy law, on June 26 2003.

I can't remember where I read this, but I did read that they rarely issue opinions on a Friday. That they ARE issuing opinions tomorrow (Friday, June 26) is said to be a hint that it'll be pro-gay-marriage, in that two other pro-gay decisions were also issued on June 26: United States vs Windsor, the invalidation of DOMA, on June 26 2013, and Lawrence vs Texas, striking down the Texas sodomy law, on June 26 2003.

Scotusblog.com talked about this earlier today. They disputed the notion that the process concerns itself with anniversaries and the like. (Yes, a lot of big cases get announced on historically important dates, but that's merely a function of the term ending around the same time each year, and big cases being released at the ends of those terms.) As per Friday being added, it said "I'm guessing that the Justices would rather (add another day to release opinions) tomorrow than Tuesday so they can beat traffic leaving town for the 4th of July weekend."

The Court's process is far less deferential to anniversaries, symbolism and the like than sentimentalists would like to think. It's a bureaucracy with its own workings and timetables. Stonewall, Windsor and Lawrence simply don't impact the timing.

Kevin Slater

I had just started hiring in 2002. I remember meeting Rocky-formerly of Dallas- for the first time in a parking lot in November of 2003 and him hugging and kissing me mentioning that because of the Lawrence decision we couldn't be arrested. Of course we couldn't have been arrested before Lawrence for hugging and kissing anyway. But we could have been for what happened afterwards when we left the parking lot and went to a hotel.

http://www.men4rentnow.com/fs/101435.CB7853FA.jpg

Gman

I don't know that Roberts will go all the way to a Constitutional right, but I'll bet he will uphold some form of recognition, such as requiring states without same sex marriage to give full recognition to marriages performed in other states.

That's what I'm thinking might happen. But if not this, I have a major fear that a majority of Justices will view SSM as a bridge too far.

Gman

I wonder how much soul searching Roberts had to do deciding whether to join the majority and write the decision for-or do as he actually did, vote against it, and write the main dissenting opinion. He knows his vote and opinion will be remembered for years. And as he was on the losing side, history may not be very kind to him and his fellow cohorts.

And I still think Scalia is an intelligent, evil, pompous windbag.

As for the argument that what the majority did today was not Constitutional-where was that sentiment in Citizens United where they gave personhood to corporations?

Gman

I wonder how much soul searching Roberts had to do deciding whether to join the majority and write the decision for-or do as he actually did, vote against it, and write the main dissenting opinion. He knows his vote and opinion will be remembered for years. And as he was on the losing side, history may not be very kind to him and his fellow cohorts.

Gman

All the Supremes should be writing on how they'll be remembered by their grandchildren.

The decision will come out on the 30th, as their most controversial decisions always do....

I've never been proven wrong so quickly! But glad I was! :rolleyes: Now there is more cause for celebration at gay pride festivals which are going on this week-end.

Archived