Supremes about to rule...

dutchmuch
This topic is 3276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am very proud of all the county clerks in my home state of Texas-those of Dallas, Tarrant, Travis, Bexar, Harris, and other counties that I don't know of who saw through Attorney General Ken Paxton's attempt to delay implementation of SCOTUS' ruling.

A day or so before Friday's ruling he sent out the following to the clerks:

“Whatever the ruling, I would recommend that all county clerks and justices of the peace wait for direction and clarity from this office about the meaning of the court’s opinion and the rights of Texans under the law,”

Now I'm not a lawyer. But when the Supreme Court's Decision states -"Held: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a mar- riage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawful- ly licensed and performed out-of-State. Pp. 3–28."-

Well it seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

Gman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how much soul searching Roberts had to do deciding whether to join the majority and write the decision for-or do as he actually did, vote against it, and write the main dissenting opinion. He knows his vote and opinion will be remembered for years. And as he was on the losing side, history may not be very kind to him and his fellow cohorts.

And I still think Scalia is an intelligent, evil, pompous windbag.

As for the argument that what the majority did today was not Constitutional-where was that sentiment in Citizens United where they gave personhood to corporations?

Gman

I'm not a big fan of Roberts, but he does seem like one of the more thoughtful conservatives on the Court. I was, frankly, a bit surprised that his dissent was so intellectually dishonest.

Archived