Virus Protection - Your recommendation?

loverboy95
This topic is 3263 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am looking to buy virus protection for my computer. I have a program called Malwarebytes that is great at tracking and removing malware. It doesn't protect against actual viruses though. I was recommended Eset, but I want to hear more opinions. What virus protection do you guys have?

as recommended on this very board several years ago, I've had great luck with AVG....though there are good free plans out there all over, I spring for their ~$50/year plan so I can sleep better at night..... very happy and have had no apparent problems at all.....as usual, do a computer scan every several days, blah, blah......

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

as recommended on this very board several years ago, I've had great luck with AVG....though there are good free plans out there all over, I spring for their ~$50/year plan so I can sleep better at night..... very happy and have had no apparent problems at all.....as usual, do a computer scan every several days, blah, blah......

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Ditto...I use AVG also. Never had a problem. Azdr is right, if you go with them, spring for the extra plan. I have AVG scan my computer every day at 3 am in the morning.

I have Symantec's Norton 360 ($79.00), and I couldn't be more satisfied. I also have Norton Mobile Security ($29.99) for my smartphone, and it has proved to be equally impressive. Glad to read the thumbs-up for Malwarebytes, I have that also.

Which operating system are you using? When I still had a Windows 7 machine, I simply used Microsoft's Security Essentials. It seemed to do as good of a job as other antivirus software and it's free. Though the details are a little fuzzy to me, I guess Microsoft simply incorporated MSE's features into Windows 8.

The problem with some security/anti-virus software is that over time the code becomes so complex that it can slow computers' performance too much. I had to walk away from Norton and Kaspersky because of this.

Which operating system are you using? When I still had a Windows 7 machine, I simply used Microsoft's Security Essentials. It seemed to do as good of a job as other antivirus software and it's free. Though the details are a little fuzzy to me, I guess Microsoft simply incorporated MSE's features into Windows 8.

The problem with some security/anti-virus software is that over time the code becomes so complex that it can slow computers' performance too much. I had to walk away from Norton and Kaspersky because of this.

I have been using Microsift Security Essentials with Windows 7 as well, and it seems to be doing the job, and since it's a freebie the price is certainly right. I did have a bad experience with the free AVG version a few years ago. I found it clunky and a laptop got fried in the process. I also have had bad experiences with Norton slowing things down to a snails pace and when I dumped it things improved. However, that was many moons ago.

I am looking to buy virus protection for my computer. I have a program called Malwarebytes that is great at tracking and removing malware. It doesn't protect against actual viruses though. I was recommended Eset, but I want to hear more opinions. What virus protection do you guys have?

Eset used to very good. It was a small program that ran very fast. I used it for years. Then they added all sorts of features and enhancements that made it clunky.

By the way, I would like to recommend Malwarebytes to everybody here! This program saved my computer so many times and I am eternally grateful to those who made it. My computer would have died without this program. You can use the trial version just to see for yourself.

Archived