Sobriety

Irish69
This topic is 3168 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/77/5c/e6/775ce67cda76ca7c50b61ee2e96d9b4a.jpg

I really appreciate ChrisW's "sober is sexy" post. I happen to be wired for different challenges (anxiety, depression) than substance abuse, but as much as alcohol and drugs are a disinhibitor, it's good to be present when sex is happening, something I never really was until I began this journey here.

I was unaware of Denzel Washington's struggles with sobriety. That makes his choice to star in the movie Flight about an alcoholic but heroic pilot -- well worth seeing, btw -- even more meaningful.

I was unaware of Denzel Washington's struggles with sobriety. That makes his choice to star in the movie Flight about an alcoholic but heroic pilot -- well worth seeing, btw -- even more meaningful.

I agree, Flight was well done, although it began to unravel a bit at the end and became a bit predictable. I rarely watch or even enjoy films like that. I generally don't want to have to figure anything out in a movie. I want everything laid out for me nice and neat....and with a happy ending.

AND... interesting quoththeraven, while it took decades to realize it, I am wired the exact same way. It's amazing how a few crossed wires can cause such disarray in ones life.

I agree, Flight was well done, although it began to unravel a bit at the end and became a bit predictable. I rarely watch or even enjoy films like that. I generally don't want to have to figure anything out in a movie. I want everything laid out for me nice and neat....and with a happy ending.

AND... interesting quoththeraven, while it took decades to realize it, I am wired the exact same way. It's amazing how a few crossed wires can cause such disarray in ones life.

Bigvalboy, I so chucked when you said you don't want to have to figure movies out! When my family and I would go to movies, I have one daughter that would refuse to sit by me. "You keep asking questions all the time." And, "You ask questions that we won't find out the answers till the end. Just watch!" Haha.

I was aware that Denzel had an issue with alcohol. I was aware of that when I saw "Fight." Gave the movie an extra punch for me.

Regarding being wired and cross wired. I believe we are all wired for positive and negative outcomes in our lives. I envy that most people can identify the negatives that pose harm. And, then take actions to turn it in to a positive. This goes along with all psychosocial disorders. WG2

Bigvalboy, I so chucked when you said you don't want to have to figure movies out! When my family and I would go to movies, I have one daughter that would refuse to sit by me. "You keep asking questions all the time." And, "You ask questions that we won't find out the answers till the end. Just watch!" Haha.

I was aware that Denzel had an issue with alcohol. I was aware of that when I saw "Fight." Gave the movie an extra punch for me.

Regarding being wired and cross wired. I believe we are all wired for positive and negative outcomes in our lives. I envy that most people can identify the negatives that pose harm. And, then take actions to turn it in to a positive. This goes along with all psychosocial disorders. WG2

In that regard, I'm more like Wisconsinguy. I like movies that make me think and ask questions. I like twists and turns (assuming I can follow them without becoming confused.) And sometimes sad endings are what's appropriate or cathartic. But there's a limit to the amount of ambiguity i can handle. Ending of the movie Shame = good. Ending of Strangers by the Lake = bad.

I second WG2's last paragraph, especially the sentence I bolded. We're all broken in some way or other. The challenge is learning how to cope and come to terms with it.

If 12-step isn't for you, there is also the Sinclair Method to deal with alcohol problems

http://thecureforalcoholism.com/

http://www.thesinclairmethod.com/community/

I started Naltrexone about a week ago. Beginning the first day, a dramatic decrease in desire/ cravings. As someone else said, a decrease in "fleeting" thoughts about drinking. My drugs of choice were opiates. Haven't even thought of them until now. It was, I believe developed for opoid addiction. Never took off for that, or treatment of alcoholism. I think it's been out there since 1964. These are the reasons I don't believe it has taken off.

1) Most doctors are unaware that is even exists. It is more of a mental health issue. When I tried to make an appointment with a clinic I was involved in a while back, they had a 5 and 1/2 wait list. I called my primary, spoke to his nurse. She had to look it up. She passed the email on to my PCP. This guy to me walk on water. It took him 2 days to get back. Usually calls the same day. I knew he was doing the research. Got a call back from the nurse. He had no problem with prescribing. However, the nurse said he highly encourages you to continue support groups like AA, NA. Most doc are in the abstinence mode.

2) Support groups, rehab programs as such, promote abstinence. This is where the difference comes in. Tied to the Sinclair Method. They recommend taking the med when you plan on drinking and hour before. It's a little hard to believe, but they have done some trials. Most individual (80%) have significantly reduced intake. As Dr. Sinclair said, "to a social level." One or two drinks at dinner. Binges have also decreased significantly in times and amounts of alcohol consumed. He also states, that full abstinence is much easier to attain.

3) I mentioned to a forum member. If I were to bring this up at a mtg, I might be asked to leave! In order for this drug to take off, it would need to be accepted by physicians and rehab/treatment programs. Thus, it would mean a major revamping of existing programs. And a turn around in the thought process of doctors, psychiatrists, and AODA counselors.

So far, I give it a 99% approval rating. The side effect I have been having are: 1) Insomnia. Looks like a common one. "Choppy" sleep. Sleep for a short time. Toss and turn, dream a little more. However, when I do wake up, I feel brighter, more focused, engaged, and not tired! 2) Now this one you may not like to hear. It describes delay in orgasims. I could live with that. Now, this is just me mind you. A complete loss of libido, urges, interest.

I would think/hope that this all comes back after stopping the drug. Will have to give this a trial next week.WG2

Results from the Housing First initiative suggest the model of making housing contingent on sobriety is not the most effective, but that better long-term sobriety outcomes result from decoupling that requirement, and providing 'housing first'.

http://www.endhomelessness.org/pages/housing_first

But widespread adoption of rational social policy remains, as ever, a long shot in America.

Results from the Housing First initiative suggest the model of making housing contingent on sobriety is not the most effective, but that better long-term sobriety outcomes result from decoupling that requirement, and providing 'housing first'.

http://www.endhomelessness.org/pages/housing_first

But widespread adoption of rational social policy remains, as ever, a long shot in America.

Homelessness is often coupled with those struggling with addiction. It is a fragile balance, but as a friend always says, "You make poor decisions when you're hungry"

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-transitional-evictions-20150601-story.html

An interesting read nonetheless, and perhaps someone will actually do right by those that are the most vulnerable.

granted.jpg

Today marks my sobriety anniversary. 4384 days. One day at a time.

This is one of my favorite sober anthems.

Out of curiosity, do you think you will ever come to a point where you stop counting days. The jury is out on this one. I have friends who say they will never stop, but for me, after a couple of years, I just got to the point that it was too much of a reminder, and I needed to close that chapter and move on. Curious how you feel...

BVB - I only "count" days on my anniversary. (And even then I don't count. I use one of those online calendars/calculators.) I do believe it's one day at a time, but I also think it's worth pausing occasionally to note how those single days have stacked up.

I shall never forget the exact date I stoped cigarettes: December 18, 1976. Not one cigarette since.

I stopped drinking the same month, but found I could still occasionally have a beer or glass of wine. I am absolutely one of the luckily one; and I know it!

Archived