metastatic lymphoma

unsub2O17
This topic is 3348 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good and bad.....

Unsub, I was so sorry to read of your battle with cancer but was very glad you decided to share your story and post. Throughout my own struggles over the 5 months, it's the cards, calls, and messages from forum members that have gotten me through the many bad days. This is an amazing bunch of men (and women) and for all the seemingly gruff exterior, these are some very caring and supportive human beings. I thank God everyday for their support.

Feel free to send me private message if you have anything you want to ask, just remember I have some bad days and I may not reply right away.

Keep fighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I first posted my notice/question about my lymphoma, I've had the opportunity to read a lot about what's going on in the Lounge. There's a lot of angst/pain/what have you going on out there, and my problem seems to me now just one among very very many. So, for me, let me just catch you up that I finish chemo in mid-April. It hasn't been too bad (I can eat all I want and not gain weight!). My prognosis remains good. My best wishes to you all. You're a fine group, and I'm so glad that I found out about you. FG: Paddington goes with me everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Time for an UPDATE: Actually, YES, hospitals and chemo. suck! The first two months really knocked me flat. January and most of February turned out to be almost a complete loss. I was so tired all the time that getting up from a chair was a major undertaking--forget about things like shopping or even walking out to get the mail. No strength either--couldn't climb a single step let alone a flight of stairs. But the worst thing to hit me was what they euphemistically call "chemo brain". In my case this was a disruption of any kind of clear thinking or ability to make a reasoned decision. I managed to screw up my checkbook and a number of my scheduled payments. I lost a credit card. And I was in a pretty impressive traffic accident and totaled my lovely car. About the only thing that I escaped was the nausea and vomiting though I had no energy to shop, cook, or eat.

Then, somewhere around the last third of February, things started ever so slowly to get better. The chemo. bothered me less in general. My mind completely cleared over the span of a week (got everything fixed except the car). My energy level and strength are about 3/4 back to normal. And I've even gained 10 lbs. which in my case is cause for great celebration. Yesterday, I had what's called a staging CT scan. The results showed a "complete response" to the chemo. This means that I am "officially" in complete (and possibly permanent) remission! I'll have 2 more rounds of chemo. (just to be sure), and, barring a major setback, I should be my old frisky self by the beginning of May.

But, I can't leave it here. First, Prof. Mitch, then Fosterchow, and, of course, Jackhammer made me abundantly aware of what I was (and am) facing. But they also modeled such a quiet dignity and courage that I learned from, drew from and came to understand in a whole new way. I honor them and will most emphatically miss them.

Will I live each day to the fullest from now on? You bet! Thanks so very much to all of you for your encouragement and support. My four regulars that I mentioned much earlier have all been fantastic, and I am blessed with an extensive support system. FG: Paddington is smiling very broadly right now.

Unsub, Thank you for your update. I think about you often, and hope for your comfort. When going through nursing in the 70's I had fantastic instructors. There is one that that I think walks on water and is still alive. Her philosophy was way ahead of her time. If a person has a life threatening condition, and everything is being done medically, you need to be comfortable. I am an atheistic. I want my patients to be comfortable and enjoy life. Unsub. Just let me know if u need anything. R.

ML: Maybe. I've never had a single symptom (except for the overnight appearance of a neck mass) from the disease itself. Therefore, I know exactly how I should feel. That's what I expect and shoot for. I've got to say, though, that the way the chemo. blasted that neck mass was "awesome".

Archived