A place to introduce yourself?

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3607 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 5 months later...
I've seen on other Message Boards a special place (a separate Forum) where "newbies" and people joining the Board introduce themselves.

This topic comes up from time to time (including five months ago when you started this thread) and we have actually discussed it each time it comes up.

This forum tends to be first-forum heavy. More posts happen in the first forum listed (the Lounge) by a country mile. It was approaching 90% last time I looked and that has been a consistent-enough number I don't look very often. When posts get moved to another forum, people tend to howl because their vital posts won't get any views or activity. During software malfunctions when other forums have been listed first by mistake, they got a bonanza of posts because they were listed first.

If we add a "Say Hello" forum, where does it go? If we put it first in the list, most general purpose threads will go there INSTEAD of the lounge. If we put it later in the list, few people will even know it exists. So while we could create it, either it wouldn't be used for its intended purpose or it wouldn't see any use at all. What would it be for?

If we add a "Say Hello" forum, where does it go? If we put it first in the list, most general purpose threads will go there INSTEAD of the lounge. If we put it later in the list, few people will even know it exists. So while we could create it, either it wouldn't be used for its intended purpose or it wouldn't see any use at all. What would it be for?

Maybe add a sticky thread at the top of the lounge telling people they are welcome to introduce themselves in the new introduction forum. I don't know how much traffic sticky threads get, but that might help direct people who wouldn't otherwise scroll down far enough to find the new forum. You could even put a link to the new forum in the sticky thread to make it easy for newbies to post.

Archived