Where did you meet any of your longterm relationships or partner?

Atlantagaguy
This topic is 4528 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am a romantic, but I have had little success in meeting someone I would want to spend a lifetime with. Where have you met your partner or long term relationship? I.e.: friends, internet, bars, work community service, grocery store. I would love to hear back from you!

I am a romantic, but I have had little success in meeting someone I would want to spend a lifetime with. Where have you met your partner or long term relationship? I.e.: friends, internet, bars, work community service, grocery store. I would love to hear back from you!

I was introduced to my partner of 22 yrs by a mutual friend.

One longterm relationship of mine I met through ComQuest (a gay dating service which actually was much more accurate in matching you than many of the online junk services you see today) and another of mine I met through a mutual friend

3rd bf was a client.

Wow Mikey..that is actually really cool. I think it makes hiring for some of us that much more exciting, because you never know who you will meet and find a connection. Kind of like the experience that Atlantaguy had with the dancer the other day.

Met my ex-partner of many years at a local bar. After that fiasco, I have never gone into another gay bar looking for a "date". My new way of meeting is throygh the Forum, its reviews, and member recommendations.

Boston Bill

I woke up next to my first long term "lover" during a weekend party at a commune in the Catskills. Several years later I was leading an entirely different life, and met my second long term companion while doing research at the Boston Public Library, which had a very "active" reading room. We bonded over the fact that we had gone to the same college. The first relationship ended after 6 years, the second after 18 years. Since then I've dated 4 or 5 different guys for a year or two each, and I met each of them at some sort of group activity, like a wine or book club, or doing volunteer work, like preparing dinner at a homeless shelter. The only guys I ever met at a bar ended up as one-night stands, weekend or vacation flings. Currently I am developing a crush on a much younger guy who works with our local symphony where I do volunteer fundraising, and some other guys I have met doing lobby work for civil unions and health care reform.

My partner saw my profile on two sites and sent me a message thru one of them.

Not to hijack this this thread, but having read some recent posts, I would like to share a little more about this.

I've recently read some comments by some posters being very down on themselves because of their age, weight, looks, etc. I've even seen one or two guys describe themselves as 'ugly'. STOP IT! If you're looking to meet someone, the first thing you need to do is work on yourself. And I'm NOT referring to losing weight, getting a hair cut, etc. If you feel badly about yourself, then you're going to project that image and I dont' think there are many people out there who would find that attractive. People are attracted to others who are confident, optimistic, funny ... just to name a few characteristics.

As I've shared on here before, I am a middle-aged (currently 48) man, who is bald and overweight. Should I get in better shape? Sure! But I've never beaten myself about it. I've not let my age, my weight or lack of hair define who I am. Several years ago I joined a couple of sites for people like myself and created a profile that highlighted what I felt were my best characteristics ... my sense of humor, compassion for others, intellect, etc.

As a result, I met and dated a couple of men from those sites. And then I received a response that changed my life. It almost seemed to good to be true. By appearance, we are very different from one another. He's half my age. While I'm overweight, he's athletically built and toned. And while I'm bald, he's got a head full ... for now, at least. But from the moment we met, we knew that we had found something special. Most of our friends and family were pretty skeptical about the relationship at first. We know many of them wondered how long it would last, and so far we've had the last laugh on that one. We refused to let anyone define how a relationship should be for us. Each step along the way, we decide how to make the relationship work. Pretty soon we'll be celebrating our 8th anniversary together.

I don't share this to gloat or boast. It's just that I find it frustrating to hear someone talk about how badly they want to meet someone ... "but I never will because I'm so _____ " (fill in the blank). Don't they realize that they're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy?

'Nuf said ... I hope I've made my point. Thanks for listening!

My husband and I met in an AOL chat room, 13 years ago. He was living in Boston at the time, and I was in San Diego. We found ourselves in the same chat room on Christmas Day, and immediately hit it off. By New Year's, we were in love. He came out here for 10 days, so we could meet face-to-face. And then he went back to Boston, quit his job, packed up his stuff and moved out here. We've been together ever since, and I couldn't be happier.

Rob

I met my first partner while walking down a city street in midday; we smiled at one another in passing, turned around and started to talk, and ended up living together for 4 years. I met my current partner while on vacation in a popular gay resort, where we were staying at the same gay guest house. He was travelling with his ex, who tried to pick me up, and introduced us to one another during the social hour in the common lounge. One month later we were living together in his city, which I moved to, and we have been together now for almost 44 years. (By the way, we are still friends with his ex, who now lives near us.)

My partner saw my profile on two sites and sent me a message thru one of them.

Not to hijack this this thread, but having read some recent posts, I would like to share a little more about this.

I've recently read some comments by some posters being very down on themselves because of their age, weight, looks, etc. I've even seen one or two guys describe themselves as 'ugly'. STOP IT! If you're looking to meet someone, the first thing you need to do is work on yourself. And I'm NOT referring to losing weight, getting a hair cut, etc. If you feel badly about yourself, then you're going to project that image and I dont' think there are many people out there who would find that attractive. People are attracted to others who are confident, optimistic, funny ... just to name a few characteristics.

As I've shared on here before, I am a middle-aged (currently 48) man, who is bald and overweight. Should I get in better shape? Sure! But I've never beaten myself about it. I've not let my age, my weight or lack of hair define who I am. Several years ago I joined a couple of sites for people like myself and created a profile that highlighted what I felt were my best characteristics ... my sense of humor, compassion for others, intellect, etc.

As a result, I met and dated a couple of men from those sites. And then I received a response that changed my life. It almost seemed to good to be true. By appearance, we are very different from one another. He's half my age. While I'm overweight, he's athletically built and toned. And while I'm bald, he's got a head full ... for now, at least. But from the moment we met, we knew that we had found something special. Most of our friends and family were pretty skeptical about the relationship at first. We know many of them wondered how long it would last, and so far we've had the last laugh on that one. We refused to let anyone define how a relationship should be for us. Each step along the way, we decide how to make the relationship work. Pretty soon we'll be celebrating our 8th anniversary together.

I don't share this to gloat or boast. It's just that I find it frustrating to hear someone talk about how badly they want to meet someone ... "but I never will because I'm so _____ " (fill in the blank). Don't they realize that they're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy?

'Nuf said ... I hope I've made my point. Thanks for listening!

I talk about my aging, partly as a way to get used to the idea myself. It happened so fast. It doesn't mean that I am down on myself, just trying to adapt.

I met my partner at the End Up bar in San Francisco. He went to support a friend who had entered the Sunday night jock strap contest. I went to see the jock strap contestants. This was almost 30 years ago.

Later, we took a visiting friend to the contest. He, unbeknown to us, had worn a jock under his jeans. Once he saw the contestants, he stripped and joined the contest, confident that he would win. He did.

He raped me at the disco, but I forgave him and married him anyway.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Luke and Laura of General Hospital. My bad. Never mind.

Never saw what all the hoopla was about with Luke...Saw him a number of years ago, he looked like 10 miles of bad road!

Now, as for you two...Let's not dodge the original question....."Enquiring" minds want to know!

Never saw what all the hoopla was about with Luke...Saw him a number of years ago, he looked like 10 miles of bad road!

Now, as for you two...Let's not dodge the original question....."Enquiring" minds want to know!

Rick,

I assume you're referring to Derek. First, you can't be "raped" when you are SO WILLING. Second, you're both very lucky guys.

Boston Bill

All I will say is that we were very young and very horny!! :p

First, you can't be "raped" when you are SO WILLING. Second, you're both very lucky guys.

LOL True. And boy, was I willing. (Thanks, Bill.)

Archived