Point... counterpoint.

maxwellissmart
This topic is 4534 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wow Max...both good points. I am not sure I want to even touch this subject. It is almost 'damned if you do and damned if you don't. Personally I think it comes down to who the writing and information is meant for. I think that there has to be on some level at least some sort of sentence structure and thought process.

I was reading someones blog the other day, and literally the entire thing was a complete mess. I actually stopped reading, and it did make we discount what he was trying to say. When people don't use apostrophes, or don't capitalize in the beginning of a sentence, or can not put a concise thought together, I do tend to pass over the information, especially if you see the person making the same mistakes over and over again, but that's just me. I know some guys on here think that proper grammar and sentence structure is paramount, and others will say that in this day and age of abbreviated text messages and emails, that this new technology has changed the way we communicate. I am sort of on the fence on this one.

As an English teacher, I HIGHLY appreciate your posting this link. Thank you...but not "so much." :)

Tyro

Natasha Leggero does a wonderful bit on the overuse of insincere thank yous, and of course when I went to find it on YouTube and used "thank you so much" as the search string—87 billion people posted "Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!"

well, jeez, I'm guilty of not using capitals at the start of a sentence....this style you see me using right now started only when I got my first computer and internet about 1997...I'd seen another smart co-worker using this style in emails and I liked the look of it...informal, easy to read (usually), unpretentious....I know it's not acceptable in a business setting and I certainly know how to write a professional business letter, but I almost never have to do that nowadays, so this is how I write on the 'net.....those who know me don't care, but I've been castigated by others for all the "....."s and appearance of random thoughts.....

hey BVB, nothing personal at all!....I know you and we're good, I think!

well, jeez, I'm guilty of not using capitals at the start of a sentence....this style you see me using right now started only when I got my first computer and internet about 1997...I'd seen another smart co-worker using this style in emails and I liked the look of it...informal, easy to read (usually), unpretentious....I know it's not acceptable in a business setting and I certainly know how to write a professional business letter, but I almost never have to do that nowadays, so this is how I write on the 'net.....those who know me don't care, but I've been castigated by others for all the "....."s and appearance of random thoughts.....

hey BVB, nothing personal at all!....I know you and we're good, I think!

NO no azdr we are definitely good...LOL I was trying to clarify, by saying you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I am really on the fence on this one. In this day and age of communicating electronically, a lot of my friends communicate differently than we did years ago.

NO no azdr we are definitely good...LOL I was trying to clarify, by saying you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I am really on the fence on this one. In this day and age of communicating electronically, a lot of my friends communicate differently than we did years ago.

Living languages evolve - both the spoken and the written word. Currently, I think communication channels (especially texting) are having a huge influence on style, etc.

For me, the key is communicating effectively. Sometimes the terse is more effective than the florid.

When it comes to communicating effectively, I think that current mediums have real pitfalls when it comes to "tone" of the message. When communicating by text or online, it seems so common that people will read messages in the most insulting or negative way, even when it isn't intended.

When it comes to communicating effectively, I think that current mediums have real pitfalls when it comes to "tone" of the message. When communicating by text or online, it seems so common that people will read messages in the most insulting or negative way, even when it isn't intended.

With any written communication, you lose the extra information provided by tone of voice - and in audio-only, you lose the visual cues of body language, expressions, etc.

Terse messages may be more prone to multiple interpretations, but I think sometimes our interpretations are influenced by the context and our own feelings about the writer.

"Each place of holy writ, both opyn and derk, techith mekenes and charite; and therfore he that kepith mekenes and charite hath the trewe undirstondyng and perfectioun of al holi writ...." John Wyclif

I'm with him.

So you're saying we're not meek enough? lol.

When communicating by text or online, it seems so common that people will read messages in the most insulting or negative way, even when it isn't intended.

Oh yeah? What's that supposed to mean? :p

We definitely NEED Ms Cockette on THIS board. LMFAO !

But I REALLY think she iS Rick Munroe ?

They call me MR. Cock! :p

http://ushistorians.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/key_art_they_call_me_mr_tibbs.jpg

Wow Max...both good points. I am not sure I want to even touch this subject. It is almost 'damned if you do and damned if you don't. Personally I think it comes down to who the writing and information is meant for. I think that there has to be on some level at least some sort of sentence structure and thought process.

I was reading someones blog the other day, and literally the entire thing was a complete mess. I actually stopped reading, and it did make we discount what he was trying to say. When people don't use apostrophes, or don't capitalize in the beginning of a sentence, or can not put a concise thought together, I do tend to pass over the information, especially if you see the person making the same mistakes over and over again, but that's just me. I know some guys on here think that proper grammar and sentence structure is paramount, and others will say that in this day and age of abbreviated text messages and emails, that this new technology has changed the way we communicate. I am sort of on the fence on this one.

I actually saw both sides of the argument here—but the response was too hilarious, so they win.

Well Ms Cockette may have a point of view but a vocabulary which results in the adjective "half-retarded" needs sprucing. Ms. Cockette could have used any one of 100 synonyms for a lack of intelligence, going with a term which so many find reprehensible exhibits disrespect for her readers.

I'll number my thoughts, so there will not be any confusion:

1. When I went to the website for Ms Coquette, the first thing that caught my eye was the photo in the left-hand corner.

I am not familiar with this blog, so forgive me, but: Is that Dolly Parton? If so, why?

2. Those who respond on this thread and on her/his blog and often do not use capital letters, paragraphs, etc., almost

always use the capital I and not the lower case i when referring to themselves. If hitting the shift key at the start

of a thought (I'll not call it a sentence, too grammatical) is too time-consuming, then why not ignore it all the time?

Could it have something to do with ego????

3. Ms. Coquette could certainly give some thought to finding synonyms for her scatological snipes---I don't object to

purple prose, but it's heard everywhere----yawn, yawn, yawn.

Archived