Organ Donor: reasons NOT to be one??...be a devil's advocate

azdr0710
This topic is 2333 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I received some sort of update letter from the state asking me to reconfirm being an organ donor, which I must've checked off many years ago on my driver's license.....(yeah, will confirm it's legit)

got me thinking if there are any valid reasons people do NOT want to be an organ donor...religion?....too freaky?....or what?....

just wondering if any of you can be a devil's advocate and "defend" not being a donor....want to make sure I'm not being a hypocrite!.....thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some religions disallow defiling the body after death. (Ironically those same religions often disallow defiling the body with medical treatment which may prolong life. )

Other than that, there is no defensible position for NOT being a donor IMO.

Personally, I don't imagine anyone will much want any of what I have left. I intend to be pretty well used up. But if there's even a remote chance that my organs can be a life saver for someone else once I'm done with them, rock on!

Some religions disallow defiling the body after death. (Ironically those same religions often disallow defiling the body with medical treatment which may prolong life. )

Other than that, there is no defensible position for NOT being a donor IMO.

Yes, deej, some religions do hold that position. But that doesn't make it defensible, at least in my book.; That's a cop-out, and crap, IMHO. Just another example of religions inhumanity towards men. We don't care if you die. too bad. You're out of here. And if your kid grows up with a father or mother, or the kid is the one who dies without a shot a life, hey that's what God wants. Really? I've said enough on this subject. Wrong thread for those opinions.

But no, I don't believe there can be ANY valid reason for not being an organ donor. And if by some chance you know that your organs would not be useful to anyone (due to age, disease or other purpose), do the next best thing: donate your body to science. My father wanted his body donated to one of the local med schools. Because doctors need human bodies to learn from.

I currently have a front row seat to the benefits of organ donation. But in this case it's a live donor. A co-worker several weeks ago donated one of his kidneys to his father, who had been ill for a long time. The transplant team put my friend through hell just to make sure he really was doing this of his own free will. They also gave him every opportunity to bow out gracefully if he ever changed his mind. But he was firm. And several weeks ago the transplant occured. He's back to work on a limited basis (well he was last week), but he reports is father is doing better than he had in decades.

And that's what organ donation is about -- saving and improvig lives. And to do otherwise is criminal, in my book at least.

Yes, deej, some religions do hold that position. But that doesn't make it defensible, at least in my book.; That's a cop-out, and crap,

That's a discussion for another forum, but I'll say that as fervently as I disagree with their beliefs and will not allow them to be imposed on my own life I fervently refuse to force them to live by my beliefs.

I've had a front-row seat to the magic of transplant as well. A close friend was on the list waiting for a kidney for many years. He finally got one in his late-30s, from a sixteen year old boy who died in a tragic automobile accident.

Every year for the last 20 years I've sent his kidney a birthday card on the anniversary of the transplant. :)

That's a discussion for another forum, but I'll say that as fervently as I disagree with their beliefs and will not allow them to be imposed on my own life I fervently refuse to force them to live by my beliefs.

Deej -- thanks for tolerating my mini-rant and that's why I stopped where I did. It does belong on another thread. And I agree with you. If some local yokel wants to claim heavenly inspiration from Jo-Jo, the Dog-Faced Monkeyboy (thanks wwb, I love that), I'm not going to impose my beliefs and say they can't. However, I'm also not going to allow their belief to stop me from calling it stupid, inane, idiotic, and inhuman. Your first amendment right to practice your religion freely does not abridge my first amendment right of free speech to call it crap. And that's the last I'll say about this on this thread. If someone wanted to take it to the proper thread, I'd be happy to go at it there.

But as for your friend, I'm so glad that you (and he) have had these 20 years. And it's the family of that 16 year old who are the heros in this.

To me the choice is clear: be thoughtless, selfish, unconcerned about the lives of others; or make that one final generous life-affirming decision even as yours is ended. To me it's almost as simple as good versus evil. Right versus wrong. Moral versus immoral. Are you a generous person who cares for the less well off, concerned for people who are suffering, in torment and pain, who don't know from one day to the next if you'll live to see your name finally work its way to the top of the list? Who knows, maybe this philosphy comes from or illuminates my submissive personality, in the sense that I want to serve others, help others. It is the final act of kindness and human love that I can show. And even though I will not see the benefits, I know they will be there for hopefully up to 7 other people, their family, their loved ones. Like you Deej. Who get to revel and rejoice in the presence of their loved one because I wanted them to live, even if I never knew who they were. There can be no greater gift than the gift of life. And if I ever got to the point where I wasn't concerned about the welfare of my fellow man, if my heart ever grew so cold that I wouldn't stop the pain and suffering and torment of my fellow man with an act that will not cost me one dime, then I might as well be dead. Because at that moment, morally, spiritually, ethically, everyway possible I would be dead.

And that, azdr is why I don't believe there is a legitimate valid reason for not being an organ donor. So azdr, I'd love to hear where you come out on this when you make your decision. I know it might not seem like a big decision, and a lot of people just blindly check yes or no without thinking. But it may well be one of the most critical decisions you will ever make -- for the lives of those 7 people you may save and the ones that love them.

Has anyone here commenting on this subject actually been an organ donor?

Been one? No. But if a loved one, friend, family whoever needed an organ (or part of an organ in case of my liver), I'd do it in a heartbeat. There would be no thought, no decision. Like I said, when my father died, he wanted his body donated to the local med school. It was his wishes, my wishes as his only son, that it be done. And it was. It didn't require any thinking.

I've made my wishes very and explicitly clear to my next of kin who will have medical power when I'm gone to make the decision. And if my wishes aren't followed, I will haunt them from the grave until they would wish that it was they who were dead. And they know that. Fortunately, they are just as passionate about it as well, so if they were to go first, there will be no thought, no discussion.

So azdr, I'd love to hear where you come out on this when you make your decision.

by the way, I like gp0560's great little suggestion!.....and the "dr" in my handle does not stand for doctor....

was asking this question simply because there seems to be so much pleading and advertising to "become an organ donor" (billboards and all that) that there must be some controversy....maybe it's just that people don't bother to do the paperwork??....I have no religious beliefs, so that argument fails.....if no other argument emerges, it's certainly the right thing to do.... I guess one concern would be that the docs make sure the various organs donated are good enough for transplant, but I'm sure that's done.....

are there any other devil's advocates out there??...thanks, Lee, for your excellent posts - here in this thread and on all the others

thanks azdr. As I live in the land of UNOS and have known doctors on transplant teams, trust me, these guys make the most meticulous guy look sloppy. Fanatical doesn't even come close to these guys. So yeah, the standards are very, VERY high.

Why don't more people do it? Don't get me started on the intelligence and thought (?) processes of the general american public. They don't think. Just a little human compassion and concern for others is all it takes. Another reason: the stupid urban legends that the donor family has to pay the cost of removing the organs. COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FALSE. AN OUTRIGHT LIE. And these teams are also understanding to the victim's family. It's tough work for these men and women to go into usually horrifying situations -- it's almost always a sudden death -- and talk to a grieving family who is so early in the Kubler-Ross stages that they can't think straight. That's a job there is not enough money in the world to do.

I am not sure how many states make it easy to declare oneself an organ donor but I know for sure that mine (Ohio) makes it very easy. I have that on my license and I think it is a great way to make my wishes clear. My understanding is that most, but not all, states have as part of their license the option to declare oneself an organ donor so check with your license bureau on this.

I found the following on the internet: Each day, about 77 people receive organ transplants. However, 19 people die each day waiting for transplants that can't take place because of the shortage of donated organs.

It seems that those with HIV and certain other diseases are not deemed appropriate to be organ donors. Also, your next of kin or other medical "guardian" may over ride your wishes to be an organ donor. Not a legal opinion but just my own and that is if you were involved in a fatal accident and had an organ donor card or properly endorsed DL on you and no one stepped forward before your organs were beyond "harvesting", very likely they would be donated. However, as with your stated wishes for the disposition of your body (burial, cremation, donate to scientific research, etc.), your next of kin can over ride those wishes and do otherwise. All one can do is to try to make absolutely sure your legally designated representative is willing and able to carry out your last wishes regarding both of these issues as well as any others. A will is NOT sufficient.

Best regards,

KMEM

It seems that those with HIV and certain other diseases are not deemed appropriate to be organ donors. Also, your next of kin or other medical "guardian" may over ride your wishes to be an organ donor. Not a legal opinion but just my own and that is if you were involved in a fatal accident and had an organ donor card or properly endorsed DL on you and no one stepped forward before your organs were beyond "harvesting", very likely they would be donated. However, as with your stated wishes for the disposition of your body (burial, cremation, donate to scientific research, etc.), your next of kin can over ride those wishes and do otherwise. All one can do is to try to make absolutely sure your legally designated representative is willing and able to carry out your last wishes regarding both of these issues as well as any others. A will is NOT sufficient.

Best regards,

KMEM

KMEM is exactly correct. Your medical power of attorney for shorthand has final say regardless of your wishes. That's why you must have a discussion with that person beforehand and stress how important it is to you. And my next-of-kin knows it very well, so no issues But have that discussion.

And I think most states make it easy to select being an organ donor. Almost too easy. Because the transplant team will always get the Medical POA's permission to harvest the organ. So it's almost as if your wishes on your DL doesn't exist. That's why I say again -- have that discussion. It's not easy. I know that. Who wants to think of their own mortality. But if you believe it's the right thing to do, and especially as fervently as I do, you MUST have that talk. And while we're at it, it's probably a good thing to have the other talks around the same areas -- DNR orders, level of intensity of care at the end, all that fun stuff, that's depressing as hell. But it does make it easier on your POA at that most stressful of time -- the loss of their loved one -- YOU!

gee, Lee. wish you'd take a greater interest in this topic...your lack of participation is shocking....by the way, what does UNOS mean?....some joke to do with the South?....

on the little letter I got which I mentioned in the first post in this thread, they mention some concerns people might have....one is that, as Lee said, some donors feel they'll (or their estate will) have to pay for the donation...not true....another concern is that some feel that hospital care will be diminished if they know you're a donor...apparently not true, also....they also say that no major religion opposes donation.....I guess it just comes down to making the decision and following thru.....I do remember many years ago there was a rumor that the donor had to fill out extra paperwork and pay a fee when they marked it on their driver's license...not true, I guess.....

expanding the topic a bit here, but, as Lee says, ALL of us here need to make sure our wills, trusts, the various POAs, directives, final wishes, account beneficiaries (you may not want to name "your estate" for this, by the way) are in order.....here in Arizona, the Attorney General's website has some of these forms and info for free....you do not necessarily need to go to a lawyer if things are simple.....google "organ and tissue donation" for your state and look for the official site for your area...it may be a .org website

Just like your $$...Ya can't take them with ya can ya? So leave them where they may do some good!

I agree JT, no luggage racks on a hearse.

That said, most people would be repulsed by a 'harvest team' being assembled to salvage your organs...

Edited by glutes

gee, Lee. wish you'd take a greater interest in this topic...your lack of participation is shocking....by the way, what does UNOS mean?....some joke to do with the South?....

Sorry az, but this is one of those rare hot button topics for me. UNOS is the United Netowrk for Organ Sharing, the national NON-PROFIT organization that coordinates all organ donations nationwide. I'm just so used to them being around here that I mistakenly assume that everyone knows what UNOS is and does. No non-living transplant is done anywhere in the country without going through UNOS. I assume, but don't know for certain, that they are also involved with living organ donations as well. They are also the ones who maintains the lists of who is at what priority on the recipient list. They are a fabulous organization doing a desperately needed job. Check them out and learn more about the process at http://www.unos.org.

Again, sorry for jumping in so hard. It's just to me this is such an easy decision to make. And the fact that thousands of our fellow citizens die every year because people take the parts with them to their grave is just frustrating to me. When so many lives could be saved, why isn't virtuallly everyone willilng to be an organ donor. I just don't understand. I have a really hard personal time dealing with selfishness and thoughtlessness. And this may be the most egregious example: people die because of it every day, almost one an hour. WHY???

I'd love to know why too.

A friend of mine is not an organ donor and claimed it's because he thinks that your ogran failing means your number is up and it's time to go and that should be it. This was ~15 years ago he told me this not sure if it was because he felt that it wasn't an effective allocation of medical resources or he was truly opposed to pronlonging life by such a radical means. I think they've made great strides in preventing rejection since then and perhaps his position has changed.

Guest IndyMedic2006
Just like your $$...Ya can't take them with ya can ya? So leave them where they may do some good!

Brooklyn Guy is absolutely correct! I have seen so many sick and dying that could have benefited from some generously giving something that they can't take with them!

Iv been listed as a organ donor for years. Having had cancer in the past I'm not sure how that would effect it but still I'm listed as a donor. Iv actually has a couple of friends in the past rag me over it they actually believe if a persons injured and they are an organ donor that the authority's might just let you die to get them organs lmao rofl. Which is complete nonsense. My feelings are if I'm dead take what you want cremate the rest

Guest IndyMedic2006

As a Paramedic that works in a large Metropolitan area, I can tell you Josephga that would never happen. Its good to hear that there are so many donors out there. I have been a donor myself since I was 16

How old are you and do you have any organs left if you have been a donor all this time? JK. Everyone should strongly consider being a potential organ donor or even an actual one, if the situation is right. Kidney for a relative or close friend; ditto for part of a liver; etc.

Leaving any "good" parts to just waste after you are gone is just a shame.

Best regards,

KMEM

• 7 years later...

When applying for my 2018 insurance through the NY State Exchange, I designated myself an organ donor. If anything's still usable, a needy recipient is welcome to it. He/She will probably get a contact high, though. :rolleyes:

I might as well try to be of more use dead than I've been alive.

I'm just full of Christmas cheer tonight.