Organ Donor: reasons NOT to be one??...be a devil's advocate

azdr0710
This topic is 2334 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those organ donation cards and driver’s license check boxes

are meaningless. It’s just a way of getting people and families

to talk about it before the unexpected happens.

Sometimes, it makes it a little easier for the family because

they have “proof”that they are honoring the dead person’s

wishes. But make no mistake about it, legally and medically,

they are completely useless.

So sign all you want, I’m all for it, just don’t kid yourself into

thinking you’re doing anything. What you need to be doing is

making sure your next of kin and POA know exactly what you

do or don’t want done with your body.

Edited by nycman

So sign all you want, I’m all for it, just don’t kid yourself into thinking your doing anything. What you need to be doing is making sure your next of kin and POA know exactly what you

do or don’t want done with your body

True that. My father died very suddenly at 56 from a heart attack. Although I think organ donation is great, at the time, I was blinded by grief and couldn't stand the thought of them cutting up his body. If the decision had been mine alone to make, the donation would not have happened. I was overruled. Not by my mother, who knew his wishes but was in no frame of mind to argue, but by my older sister who has ice in her veins during any kind of crisis.

Those organ donation cards and driver’s license check boxes

are meaningless. It’s just a way of getting people and families

to talk about it before the unexpected happens.

Sometimes, it makes it a little easier for the family because

they have “proof”that they are honoring the dead person’s

wishes. But make no mistake about it, legally and medically,

they are completely useless.

So sign all you want, I’m all for it, just don’t kid yourself into

thinking your doing anything. What you need to be doing is

making sure your next of kin and POA know exactly what you

do or don’t want done with your body.

Yup! And that is on my list for next year. Since I have no family in IL I need to make sure what I want done, done. Because of my status I am not a donor but I have it at the hospital I frequent and my Drs know I am a DNR. Save the energy and resources on someone who deserves it.

Hugs,

Greg

Yup! And that is on my list for next year. Since I have no family in IL I need to make sure what I want done, done. Because of my status I am not a donor but I have it at the hospital I frequent and my Drs know I am a DNR. Save the energy and resources on someone who deserves it.

Hugs,

Greg

You are a human being. It is one thing to not want to linger or use resources just to squeeze out a few more days or weeks of pain, but please don't think you don't "deserve" care.

Has anyone here commenting on this subject actually been an organ donor?

No, but an organ recipient. Going on three years no problem with rejection or any other problems knock on wood.

There are different reasons why people aren't donors such as culturally, pre-pre existing medical conditions. For years you were banned from ever donating organs if your HIV+, now they are using organs from HIV+ donors, to HIV+ recipient with great success.

True that. My father died very suddenly at 56 from a heart attack. Although I think organ donation is great, at the time, I was blinded by grief and couldn't stand the thought of them cutting up his body. If the decision had been mine alone to make, the donation would not have happened. I was overruled. Not by my mother, who knew his wishes but was in no frame of mind to argue, but by my older sister who has ice in her veins during any kind of crisis.

Perhaps despite the ice in her veins she is still able to stay focused and rational. But I very much understand your feelings.