Helping animals

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 4820 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi there everyone! I know that everyone is not as avid an animal right's advocate as I am, but this topic is one that everyone can relate to because it pertains our beloved "man's best friend".

Most shelters are responsible enough to put their best effort into finding homes for the family members that some people discard when it is no longer convenient for them. Imagine being in a family for several years and all of a sudden you are dumped and discarded. I have heard this story so many times and even from people who go on to later buy another pet that is newer and cuter. The North Utah Valley Animal Shelter takes the emotional pain and suffering to a new level by actually adding physical pain and suffering to these helpless victims .

NUVAS actually sells their unwanted dogs and cats to laboratories when they can't find them homes. Yes, instead of being a safe haven for neglected and unwanted pets, they actually sell them to the University of Utah for invasive and deadly experiments. If you want to put a face on this tragic practice, check out this link for more information and urge NUVAS to discontinue this cruel practice....PLEASE!

http://features.peta.org/NUVAS/default.asp

What have these animals done to us that we should decide they are disposable lab experiments? Most of these animals probably gave love and attention to a family only to be discarded and then become subject to horrific experiments.

Please consider this when you, or a neighbor, doesn't make the decision to spay or neuter their pet. If you are considering a new family member, give some thought into adopting. These animals deserve much better than this!

Brooklyn Guy,

You are very welcome! I don't think many people know about these practices. Everyone should check to see if their state has a law against pound seizures and, if so inclined, contact legislators to demand that a law be put into place to protect shelter animals from even further suffering.

I thought this information would be helpful:

U.S. pounds and animal shelters were established for the purpose of taking in homeless animals in order to improve animal welfare and protect public health. Some animals are taken to animal shelters by guardians who can no longer keep them. Others are strays who are taken in by concerned individuals, police officers, or animal-control officers. While animal shelters take in many kinds of animals, most of the animals they take care of are dogs and cats (including puppies and kittens), almost all of whom are former companion animals or their offspring.

What Is Pound Seizure?

If an animal shelter or pound is located in a state or county that has a pound-seizure law, it means that animal shelters must turn over animals who are not claimed by former or new guardians within a certain number of days (typically five) to laboratories that ask for them. The animals are then used in experiments.

Pound seizure is illegal in Denmark, England, the Netherlands, and Sweden. In the U.S., there is no federal law regarding pound seizure, but Washington, D.C., and 17 states—California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia—forbid it. Most other states have no law regarding pound seizure, preferring to leave it up to county or town governments, but two states—Minnesota and Oklahoma—require government-run facilities to submit to pound seizure. Several bills seeking to ban pound seizure have been introduced in Congress, but none of them has been enacted. Please visit banpoundseizure.org/home.shtml for more information.

In states that allow pound seizure, Class B dealers can buy animals from pounds and animal shelters.(1) According to a recent government report, in a one-year period, 20 percent of dogs and 60 percent of cats acquired by Class B dealers came from animal shelters.(2) A PETA undercover investigation at a University of Utah laboratory revealed that all the animals confined to the facility were kept in miserable conditions and endured terrible suffering. Cats and dogs who were purchased from local animal shelters had holes drilled into their skulls, medical devices implanted in their chests, and chemicals injected into their brains. For more on this undercover investigation, please visit PETA.org. Shortly after the findings of PETA's investigation were made public, Utah legislators voted to overturn a law that required animal shelters to provide animals to laboratories upon request.

Thats awful stuff...I think the issue can be mitigated if more places were willing to accept pets. Some hotels dont allow them at all, and the ones that do want deposits. Cant really get them on public transportation and the only ones allowed in stores are special needs types. So it makes it a bit harder when there are so many restrictions to having one. The issue is, most people look at other people's pets as 'a dog' while they look at their own as a child.

The case of animals ending up in shelters isn't always a case of them being discared. I knew people who took pets to shelters because they were incapable of bringing them with them, and they felt as if they just had an abortion afterwards.

I also think the practice of every animal entering a shelter getting spayed/neutered is equally barbaric...Norway doesn't allow it

Thanks for the information Michael. i am glad NJ is already a state that prohibits this as I was sitting up and getting ready to start a charge to insure that we here in Jersey dont condone this type or behavior. God Knows we have more laboratories here than most states.

AS for spaying and neutering, many here in jersey capture stray cats and neuter and release back. It is a way of keeping the cats out of overcrowded shelters and controlling the population. People really should not be allowing their pets to breed when so many animals are discarded heartlessly by society.

... If you are considering a new family member, give some thought into adopting.

AMEN.

My last 4 dogs have all been "used". I've found that there are a lot of wonderful, older pets available for adoption. For me, the advantage is that they are usually housebroken, socialized, and very willing to please. I don't have the time or patience for a puppy and these older, shelter animals have been perfect for me.

AMEN.

My last 4 dogs have all been "used". I've found that there are a lot of wonderful, older pets available for adoption. For me, the advantage is that they are usually housebroken, socialized, and very willing to please. I don't have the time or patience for a puppy and these older, shelter animals have been perfect for me.

Good for you! I adopted one of my cats (the 18 year old) and his late sister from a breeder who was no longer breeding or selling cats. They were very well cared for, but the two cats had to be kept together because they had bonded to one another. When the girl was sold, both she and her brother cried for days until everyone agreed that they had to be reunited. My other cat, who is approximately 5 years old, was rescued from an auto parts yard by my veterinarian. Initially, I went to look at her kittens. Everyone wants kittens, so she stood a slim chance of getting adopted. Given that my other cat was then 15, and not likely to tolerate a kitten, I adopted the mom. She is finally turning into a good pet.

I would like to add that keeping your cats indoors is a great way to avoid it being picked up by a pound. Your cat can't be deemed "stray" if it is in your house.

I would like to add that keeping your cats indoors is a great way to avoid it being picked up by a pound. Your cat can't be deemed "stray" if it is in your house.

In addition, keeping your cat indoors more than doubles their life expectancy.

Here, a neighbor once allowed their cat to roam the neighborhood and the little ba^H^H darling parked outside my window taunting my (indoor) cats. I saw a sign on the mailboxes one day saying "COYOTE SPOTTED ON PROPERTY. WATCH YOUR PETS." Never saw that cat again.

That is disgusting. To think that if you lost your pet, it could end up as a lab animal with some human performing experiments on it. I do get the need for that in the big picture-but not your pets.

Cats should definitely be kept INDOORS! They are suseptible to all sorts of Outdoor Diseases which they can bring back INDOORS!

Not to mention what they might digest outdoors doing what Cats do...

Any Educated person knows the "Domestic" Cat has that name for a reason.

Sadly though more and more Cats are being due to the Economy released to the Outdoors....

That is disgusting. To think that if you lost your pet, it could end up as a lab animal with some human performing experiments on it. I do get the need for that in the big picture-but not your pets.

I agree that is disgusting and the practice should be stopped. That being said, pet owners can microchip their pets. If a microchipped pet is lost, the shelter can scan the chip, retrieve the owner's information, and contact the owner.

Thats awful stuff...I think the issue can be mitigated if more places were willing to accept pets. Some hotels dont allow them at all, and the ones that do want deposits.

Joey, I always stay at Kimpton Hotels (kimptonhotels.com), with the exception of when I am staying in a city that does not have a Kimpton Hotel; turns out Houston is the only place I visit that does not have one. Not only do they accept pets, but do so without a deposit. Your pet actually is welcomed with it's own check in desk and food bowls and beds. On top of that, Kimpton Hotels support the gay and lesbian community and do so publicly. They also give to many worthy charities and are eco-friendly. I have earned "Inner Circle" status with them and I am treated like gold with upgrades, free nights, and great deals.

I'm actually taking my two babies, Macho & Bella, to a Kimpton Hotel on the beach for their birthdays in a few weeks. And, yes, the trip is specifically for them to enjoy the beach and know how much they are loved. My dogs have brought me more than joy than anything, and they keep me very grounded.

Joey, I always stay at Kimpton Hotels (kimptonhotels.com), with the exception of when I am staying in a city that does not have a Kimpton Hotel; turns out Houston is the only place I visit that does not have one. Not only do they accept pets, but do so without a deposit. Your pet actually is welcomed with it's own check in desk and food bowls and beds. On top of that, Kimpton Hotels support the gay and lesbian community and do so publicly. They also give to many worthy charities and are eco-friendly. I have earned "Inner Circle" status with them and I am treated like gold with upgrades, free nights, and great deals.

I'm actually taking my two babies, Macho & Bella, to a Kimpton Hotel on the beach for their birthdays in a few weeks. And, yes, the trip is specifically for them to enjoy the beach and know how much they are loved. My dogs have brought me more than joy than anything, and they keep me very grounded.

awww, thats sweet. Glad to hear it works out for you...

What kind of dogs are Macho and Bella?. I may soon be taking an extended car ride with three large dogs, 60-100 pounds and I would like to think that there may be some flexibility in choosing hotels but I plan on having at least two choices at each stop.

Michael -- I'm with you on Kimpton -- the friendliest pet hotels out there. Most of them have a director of pet relations (ranging from bichon frises to poodles). They have specifically designed packages at the hotels created for the pet lovers (revolving around treats for the dog, etc, doggie beds). And their support of the LGBT community is absolutely unrivaled. They are not just talking the talk, they are walking the walk. They don't care who knows it. I had just made a reservation for today at the Lorien in Alexandria. And had missed their Red Ribbon campaign http://www.kimptonhotels.com/programs/red-ribbon.aspx. Booking it straight on their website with no red ribbon campaign the total cost of the suite I was going to get was ~400. Using the Red Ribbon campaign (found only under their LGBT banner) its ~340 plus they make an additional $10 donation to the Whitman-Walker Clinic in DC. There are 60 some hotels in Alexandria VA. There are 3 Kimptons. Do you want to guess which 3 are rated the top 3 by Tripavisor.com? Yep, all 3 kimptons. In city after city, the Kimptons are at or very near the top of TripAdvisors ratings. They are not necessarily the cheapest (no Red Roof Inn) but for quality of service, being the pet friendliest, and for their massive support of LGBT causes, I certainly agree that they deserve as much business as they can get.

So Michael, which one are you taking them to for their birthday at the beach. The only one I see at the beach is down in Florida. Is that the one you're going to? And which Kimpton do you normally stay at in DC?

• 4 weeks later...
What kind of dogs are Macho and Bella?. I may soon be taking an extended car ride with three large dogs, 60-100 pounds and I would like to think that there may be some flexibility in choosing hotels but I plan on having at least two choices at each stop.

Purplekow,

I haven't been keeping tabs on the forums here, so sorry for the delay in responding to your question. Macho and Bella are both Jack Russell Terriers. If you haven't headed out on your road trip yet, and you find yourself in a city where there is a Kimpton hotel, they have no restrictions on the size of dogs.

So Michael, which one are you taking them to for their birthday at the beach. The only one I see at the beach is down in Florida. Is that the one you're going to? And which Kimpton do you normally stay at in DC?

Lee,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. It has been a while since I've been on here.

I took Macho & Bella to the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa, here in Florida, for their birthdays. When I tell you that they went all out for my dogs, they really exceeded any expectations I had. For starters, and likely because of my Inner Circle status with Kimpton, I got an upgraded room to die for! Ocean front room with a wrap around balcony, sunken living room (2 living rooms actually) and a dining room. At the check-in desk, there was a welcome sign for Macho & Bella with birthday wishes. In the room they had several presents for them, a dog bed, dog bowls, and even provided leashes. Over the top!!! That weekend, which my best friend also shared with me, was the absolute best! My dogs got to swim in the ocean, run on the beach, lay on the balcony and watch the waves or bask in the sun. It was truly a relaxing get away for all of us!

As far as where I normally stay in DC, it is usually between the Hotel Rouge or the Helix Hotel. Both of these hotels are three star Kimpton hotels, but I've always been upgraded to a huge suite at the Helix. The location in DC is key for me; both are close to a Whole Foods Market....and one of my favorite stores, Universal Gear. I've also stayed at Hotel Palomar just off of Dupont Circle and will, coincidentally, be staying there on my visit to DC next month (11/19 - 11/22).

My goal is to hit every Kimpton Hotel in my lifetime. I've already earned my status for next year not only by number of nights, but by number of different hotels of theirs that I have visited this past year. My most recent visit was to Hotel Palomar in Los Angeles. I had a great suite (free perk) and a huge Fuji soaking tub in my bathroom that was the size of two of my bedrooms here at home. I can't say enough good things about Kimpton Hotels!

Hi there everyone! I know that everyone is not as avid an animal right's advocate as I am, but this topic is one that everyone can relate to because it pertains our beloved "man's best friend".

Most shelters are responsible enough to put their best effort into finding homes for the family members that some people discard when it is no longer convenient for them. Imagine being in a family for several years and all of a sudden you are dumped and discarded. I have heard this story so many times and even from people who go on to later buy another pet that is newer and cuter. The North Utah Valley Animal Shelter takes the emotional pain and suffering to a new level by actually adding physical pain and suffering to these helpless victims .

NUVAS actually sells their unwanted dogs and cats to laboratories when they can't find them homes. Yes, instead of being a safe haven for neglected and unwanted pets, they actually sell them to the University of Utah for invasive and deadly experiments. If you want to put a face on this tragic practice, check out this link for more information and urge NUVAS to discontinue this cruel practice....PLEASE!

http://features.peta.org/NUVAS/default.asp

What have these animals done to us that we should decide they are disposable lab experiments? Most of these animals probably gave love and attention to a family only to be discarded and then become subject to horrific experiments.

Please consider this when you, or a neighbor, doesn't make the decision to spay or neuter their pet. If you are considering a new family member, give some thought into adopting. These animals deserve much better than this!

I am with you 100%!!! Already submitted one! Thanks for the link! I really hope this will help!

• 4 months later...

To all of you who participated in this action alert to help shelter animals in Utah, there is good news!

Following PETA's undercover investigation and an intense year-long campaign, the University of Utah (also known as "the U") has announced that it will no longer purchase dogs and cats from North Utah Valley Animal Shelter (NUVAS)—or any other animal shelter—to be used in invasive and deadly experiments. Since the U was the last Utah purchaser of homeless animals for use in experiments, this victory means the complete end of "pound seizure" in the state of Utah!

My partner and I travel with our two dogs quite a bit. Kimpton Hotels can't be beat. There are also Hotel Sofitel on the high-end where they treated the dogs like royalty, then on the more budget side of things is La Quinta and Motel 6. On a road trip, sometimes you gotta take what you can get but between all of these there is usually something to choose from.

We've also stated fostering abandoned dogs through a rescue service. We had one foster dog a few months ago who had been found sitting alongside a freeway in LA. It's unclear whether he was abandoned on the freeway or had gotten loose, but he had no collar, no microchip, and was a flea-ridden mess when they found him. We drove down to LA to pick him up, and he lived with us for a month or so until he could find a permanent home. He got a great new home with people who were really happy to find him. This weekend we're heading down to Southern California again to get another foster dog in Oxnard, and will be staying at a La Quinta.

Archived