Time Outs

flguy
This topic is 5011 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used to walk up to the front console of a PDP-10, hit "Pause", key in patches to the kernel via the front panel switches, and then press "Continue!" Dial-up was a 110baud teletype. Yes, you heard it here: "Game, Set Match!".

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/kl-10-3.jpg

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I bow to your win, sir and withdraw my colors from the field.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to walk up to the front console of a PDP-10, hit "Pause", key in patches to the kernel via the front panel switches, and then press "Continue"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/kl-10-3.jpg

Cool picture, did you have the elevated floors where you could run all the cables underneath and if you needed acesss somwhere you just popped up a floor tile?

Tomcat -- You have my permission to go, but you keep your mitts off of Romann until Rich and I get through with him first. We don't want YOU breaking him before we get to try to break him. We both called dibs first :)

Nope I was there first. So if you think you can get to him before I do... give if your best shot. ;)

Don't worry lee I haven't broken him yet and Ive been trying for a year... as have others. Im sure he will survive. and almost completely whole... probably

Yep! and 85mb Disk Drives the size of Washing Machines!

How cool is that. Drum drives. I have seen some of these, if I recall they were also quite environmentally sensitive as well and had to be in a very clean place.

It is amazing how far things have come, and a bit scary of what it will be like in another 10 years.

How cool is that. Drum drives. I have seen some of these, if I recall they were also quite environmentally sensitive as well and had to be in a very clean place.

It is amazing how far things have come, and a bit scary of what it will be like in another 10 years.

I remember one of night when one of our system operator called one of our hardware techs with a simple question: "Is it a problem if there's blue smoke coming out of the disk drive????" Closest time I've ever been to a Halon dump. Now you want fun, go through one of those.

I have done all of the geeky things that Leigh described.

Starting at age 15. I'm 58 now.

Oh Jesus. Why don't you drag up Compuserve while you're at it?

How many of you actually have plugged in your phone to a 300 baud modem and dialed into a computer center because I have -- that's how I worked on my computer science degree. How many of you have programmed using a deck of punch card or punch tape? I have. How many of you have dropped that deck of cards (thankfully not a big deck). How many of you have actually had to go into the end bell of the cabinet and physically thrown the switches to get a program to run properly?

Do I hear game/set/match???

Oh Jesus. Why don't you drag up Compuserve while you're at it?

How many of you actually have plugged in your phone to a 300 baud modem and dialed into a computer center because I have -- that's how I worked on my computer science degree. How many of you have programmed using a deck of punch card or punch tape? I have. How many of you have dropped that deck of cards (thankfully not a big deck). How many of you have actually had to go into the end bell of the cabinet and physically thrown the switches to get a program to run properly?

Do I hear game/set/match???

My first professional job was in the data processing dept. of a major hospital. The office was dominated by a huge computer in the center, with people typing punch cards at desks all around it. All the card punchers were women, and all the programmers and managers (and, of course, the guy who ran the computer, changing the big disks and inputting the cards) were men. Them were the days!

Closest time I've ever been to a Halon dump. Now you want fun, go through one of those.

During college, summers I worked at a government DP facility. One Monday morning we came in and found one of the computer rooms in a complete shambles. Ceiling tiles blown every which way, etc. Sure enough, the halon system had malfunctioned the day before and blown for no cause. Never seen such mayhem in an office setting before or since.

Since this thread is at the top of the heap again, can someone answer how the private discussions went between the moderators? I don't understand if the concensus of the moderators was to time out all involved then why didn't Daddy take their opinion and act on it. Barry and Cooper are the listed moderators and why have moderators if you aren't going to allow them to do their job. The Line is forming at the office, it would be nice to know who is at the front.

Another version of "The buck stops here."

The Line is forming at the office, it would be nice to know who is at the front.

http://vista-development.com/images/AL.jpgWhen he brought in the Emancipation Proclamation, President Abraham Lincoln polled his Cabinet. The Secretary of State stood and uttered his "Nay" unmistakably. The Secretary of the Interior followed suit. The Treasury Secretary and so forth: all against.

Lincoln heard them each in turn. Then Lincoln raised his hand and said...

"The Ayes have it."

That sounds like a challenge!

Call me a greedy motherfucker, but when I'm with Romann I want him all to myself and when I'm with Tyger, ditto. I think my head and other parts would simply explode if I were lucky enough to be in the same room with both.

You're not greedy but rather want your cake and eat it too and that's PERFECTLY fine in this case! There are always exceptions to every rule and some are meant to be broken, over and over again if at all possible. That said, ask and you shall receive. I know a certain someone (wink wink, nudge nudge) will hopefully be coming to the Windy City sooner than later (before 2011 if the Universe grants me this wish) and I'll finally have the pleasure of meeting him and that unique "touch" I read and hear so much about. Once I have my cake a couple times, one after the other with this certain gentleman who has been on my radar for some time, the two of us I'm sure would happily and without delay entertain you.

The possibilities! One Tyger and two Leo's all in the same location. Hmmm... I need to break out the lube bottle.

OH, sorry for the hijack.

PEACE!

Sorry Deej, my bad. However if a moderator is supposed to do his job then why not take his opinion, if he is trustworth enough to moderate you should be able to live with his decisions. You aren't listed as a moderator in any of the forums that I can see and you had no problem timing me out.

I don't believe a consensus was mentioned.

I've gone back and forth between thinking it is just pure curiosity to know the details of the time out process for the latest issue surrounding Ryan Cade to thinking that by understanding it will help the community function better (dealing with such things as fairness, favoritism, etc). Clearly there are lingering questions and posters like Glutes have wondered about where the moderators weigh in on this one. Perhaps the silence from the moderators speaks volumes and sufficiently on the matter that it should be dropped. However, I have come to the conclusion that it would be useful for moderators or Daddy to speak to this and help us understand where things actually stand and a bit about the decision process (the underlying rationale for deciding who were considered for time outs, who actually got time outs, how long the time outs were for, etc). Bringing these things to the light of day will help, IMHO. Choosing to not address this is a choice and if that is what is decided then so be it.

Archived