Will it ever fly?

glutes

Will be a simple software fix, if nothing else to simply disable that system while sorting out issues. Wish I'd caught BA when stock was down at open yesterday. Still hopeful that the FAA will down them in US and present another buying opportunity.

Boeing CEO assures Trump that 737

MAX is safe.

The two men spoke today by phone shortly after Trump complained on Twitter that planes are becoming too complex to fly.

Politico

Comment Duh Perhaps Trump is going to overlook the massive flattering comments from Boeing and ban the

plane until we have a defining answer.

Will be a simple software fix, if nothing else to simply disable that system while sorting out issues. Wish I'd caught BA when stock was down at open yesterday. Still hopeful that the FAA will down them in US and present another buying opportunity.

And your name is... Max? Like 737 MAX 8?

BTW, let the cover-up begin!

Half a dozen witnesses interviewed by Reuters in the farmland where the plane came down reported smoke billowing out behind, while four of them also described a loud sound.

“It was a loud rattling sound. Like straining and shaking metal,” said Turn Buzuna, a 26-year-old housewife and farmer who lives about 300 meters (328 yards) from the crash site.

“Everyone says they have never heard that kind of sound from a plane and they are under a flight path,” she added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethiopia-airplane-witnesses/ethiopian-plane-smoked-and-shuddered-before-deadly-plunge-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

Edited by Oaktown

Coincidence entirely...you'll see my presence here preceded the NG and certainly the MAX-8.

BTW, let the cover-up begin!

Half a dozen witnesses interviewed by Reuters in the farmland where the plane came down reported smoke billowing out behind, while four of them also described a loud sound.

“It was a loud rattling sound. Like straining and shaking metal,” said Turn Buzuna, a 26-year-old housewife and farmer who lives about 300 meters (328 yards) from the crash site.

“Everyone says they have never heard that kind of sound from a plane and they are under a flight path,” she added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethiopia-airplane-witnesses/ethiopian-plane-smoked-and-shuddered-before-deadly-plunge-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

Definitely too soon to ascribe cause for either crash. Suspicion about MCAS is (IMHO reasonably) based on the Lion Air crash. Witness statements in air disasters are notoriously inaccurate . My post above was in reference only to the MCAS (stall prevention system) if that is found or suspected to be the culprit. Boeing announced a change in that software today.

I still would like to see FAA ground the MAX-8 fleet but only so I could buy Boeing or Spirit at some discount. This will be a short-lived issue regardless.

Physicists and engineers please educate me. If an airplane enters a stall, is a crash inevitable?

It's difficult. IIRC, You have to get the lift back, which means going down for a spell. THis is hard if you are too low to begin with.

Sorry, Vic, you know that’s not my field.

Edited by gallahadesquire

In light of the FAA's refusal to join with the rest of the world, I'm hoping U.S. ticket holders will unite in refusing to board that particular aircraft.

Southwest and American use it. Another good reason to avoid American.

I thought Delta used them, but there is a 787-8 [not MAX] that they fly.

Physicists and engineers please educate me. If an airplane enters a stall, is a crash inevitable?

No, crash is not inevitable. Stall recovery is taught to all pilots and (in theory at least) becomes reflex. It's not complicated or difficult to do...you must only recognize the impending or actual stall, not panic, and correct the airplane angle of attack. That said...to stall a commercial airliner, you have to screw up flying it in the first place.

No, crash is not inevitable. Stall recovery is taught to all pilots and (in theory at least) becomes reflex. It's not complicated or difficult to do...you must only recognize the impending or actual stall, not panic, and correct the airplane angle of attack. That said...to stall a commercial airliner, you have to screw up flying it in the first place.

... which, apparently, the software flying the plane did. Moot now, in that The Donald has grounded the -8 and -9 MAXs after they land if in flight.

... which, apparently, the software flying the plane did. Moot now, in that The Donald has grounded the -8 and -9 MAXs after they land if in flight.

And a bit more complicated with the MAX-8 and -9...the issue here is that ***apparently*** the airplane thinks it's stalled so pushes the nose down to recover and pilots were not able to (or did not) disengage that [MCAS] system and continue flight. Grounding probably safest strategy until more is known and a software update can be pushed out.

Buy Max, buy!

Hey Max, here's a stock tip for ya:

ORLANDO, Fla. — Boeing’s deliveries of its KC-46 tanker to the U.S. Air Force have been suspended as the service investigates a series of problems with foreign object debris, its top acquisition official confirmed Friday.

Will Roper, the service’s assistant secretary for acquisition, technology and logistics, told reporters that it will likely be “some time” before the service begins accepting new tankers from Boeing.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/air-warfare-symposium/2019/03/01/air-force-suspends-kc-46-tanker-deliveries/

The world pulls the Andon Cord on the 737 Max

Every airplane development is a series of compromises, but to deliver the 737 Max with its promised fuel efficiency, Boeing had to fit 12 gallons into a 10 gallon jug. Its bigger engines made for creative solutions as it found a way to mount the larger CFM International turbines under the notoriously low-slung jetliner. It lengthened the nose landing gear by eight inches, cleaned up the aerodynamics of the tail cone, added new winglets, fly-by-wire spoilers and big displays for the next generation of pilots. It pushed technology, as it had done time and time again with ever-increasing costs, to deliver a product that made its jets more-efficient and less-costly to fly.

I wonder if it's going to turn out to not be possible to fix this with a software patch.

And here is my main STEM man Miles, making what I think is an important point, if this had been an issue with hardware, the fleet would have been long grounded, but since it was software, it wasn't perceived the same way.

First, the 787 Debacle. Now, the programming in the MAX. (I think this is more software than hardware error). Who is programming this thing, anyway?

My new car has a lane departure signal, that jiggles the steering wheel if you go over a traffic lane designation. It can be defeated, but it was very odd when it occurs, especially to the uninitiated.

I get the sense that, rather than design from the ground up, Boeing did it on the cheap, and just extended the 737 to its least logical conclusions. Maybe the FAA should look into that, and give Boeing a slap.

Oh, and maybe Boeing should get some new engineers. I know an anesthesiologist who has her MS in Aerospace Engineering from MIT.

Buy good companies on bad news?