REBIRTH OF STOCK BAR

This topic is 6535 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is nice to be optimistic about the re-opening of Stock, but certainly not realistic. Anyone who tinks that Stock will re-open by July has never done even a small remodeling project in their house. To think that building will be able to be occupied by then is crazy. The structure has to be re-inforced and a roof has to be installed. Plus all the electrical and pumbing would have to be re-done. We aren't talking new carpets and a paint job here. I think that Christmas is a more likely date for Stock to re-open at that location.

News from their website seems to indicate that they have given up on finding a temporary location too.

It is a shame to lose Stock for the Summer, including the times of the OutGames and Gay Pride in Montreal, but anyone ever involved in construction and renovation will tell you Stock is done for at least 6 to 9 months, if ever, at that location.

>News from their website seems to indicate that they have given

>up on finding a temporary location too.

>

Huh. What I read was:

[blockquote]

On April, 28th 2006, a fire occurred on the roof of the club Unity II and the floors above the Stockbar. The equipment has been damaged by water. We expect to be up and running again before the end of june 2006. We are still working on a temporaly location. Until then, we propose to you a return in time by presenting different footage that have been archived for the past 3 years.[/blockquote]

That sounds to me like they are trying to find a temporary location and trying to be open for the summer. Do you read it differently?

BG

Yes, BG. Since then they have posted that they are abandoning the hope of a temporary location. If you view the footage of the building on thier website, it is almost a total loss. There is a shell left, but not much else. They are being optimistic, but not practical or realistic.

I was in MTL this past week and saw the building. I won't say it's "almost a total loss". The damage to the roof and interior is very obvious, but the structure itself looks sound. The work to rebuild began today and the goal is to be open by early August.

As for the Stock dancers, most are working at Campus. The place was packed this weekend with about 40 dancers in the lineup. There was a line waiting to use the back room, and yes, "NICK THE DICK" is working at Campus.

The problem facing the Stock rebuilding project is that Quebec has a two-week construction holiday the last 2 weeks of July which is strictly enforced. It is doubtful the work will have progressed sufficiently by the middle of July to permit the opening of Stock by the opening of the Outgames in late July or the Pride festivities the first week of August. It will take a miracle for Stock to be open by then but we will just need to wait and see.

RE: Current Pics of Stock

Thanks Taz for the current photos of the Stock building. Hope the construction continues without any further delays... Also, after 10 straight days of rain, it's good to see the sun finally emerging.

Can't speak for others, but for me, MTL without the Stock Bar just isn't the same. Don't see returning till a definite opening date is given.

Thanks for the pics Taz. I'm sad to see that not much has been done since I had the sad experience of watching smoke billow from those windows :-( As many suspected, a building with that kind of damage has to go through a lot of steps before work on the interior refusbishing and remodeling can begin. I have to agree with Cooper, looks like I'll have fewer trips to Montreal this year than any year in recent memory. Good thing I got my fix in April. We need to find a way to organize some US visits for some Stock boys so they can keep their finances in order and we can keep our withdrawl symptoms in check!

Guest Rendie

Hi all,

Thanks for the pics Taz. It is good to hear that the building restoration work has finally begun.

Maybe someone in MTL can regularly take some pictures to post of the building "rebirth" process in the weeks and months ahead?.

rendie

I visited two weekends ago and found I was still walking

on broken glass (on the sidewalk) and had full visual access to the lower interior of the building and it certainly looked like a grim site/sight. There was still a ton of clean up to go before re-construction could even be started. I found Campus picking up a good deal of the crowds (at night) and I spent most of my evenings with Alexi, a former Stock dancer, who mentioned he was looking forward to the return of Stock as well. (I purposely stayed away from the Hot & Dry Weekend crowds because I figured it would be tough to find backroom space with additional traffic expected through the city for the holiday weekend.)

But for me, I don't see myself curtailing trips (until Stock re-opens) as my experience over the years has been there are usually great guys to be discovered at the different clubs in town. (And with the smoking ban soon to come, the clubs can only become more comfortable places at which to spend extended time without becoming hoarse or needing fumigation services for your clothing.) Finding a new dancer, getting to 'know' him and making a new friend is really the fun of the strip club part of Montreal. I really lamented the closing of the old Stock on St. Andre but after a couple more visits, made enough new memories to ease that regret. Certainly, Stock didn't disappear, just moved to St. Catherine, but it was Stock in name only. IMO, the old Stock never existed in its 'new' (now destroyed) digs. It has/had a different charm than its predecessor.

During my recent stay, I was reminded of why Montreal continues to be the place to spend leisure time (at least as far as strip clubs go.) They were Alexi (at Campus) and Jean-Sebastian (at Taboo.) Did I miss Stock bar? Sure, but they helped ease the pain of loss rather well:P

RE: REBIRTH OF STOCK BAR (updated 6/6/06)

I got an update on the construction progress from Stock management last night:

Substantial progress has been made on the clean up of the space, they are stripping it down to the brick.

Plans for the new Stock look really nice, just about everything is changing... Stock will soon be an even more fantastic club than it was before!

While one team works on the clean up and construction of the basic internal setup (ceiling, floor, electric), another group is working off-site on the fixtures (bars, back room booths, banquettes, etc...) so they can be installed quickly when the time comes (this is slated to begin around July 1).

They are very motivated to get Stock re-opened in time for Gay Pride and the Out Games beginning in late July (target re-opening date is now set for July 14th).

They are making a substantial investment in new sound and lights.

I'm excited to head up to Montreal for the grand re-opening, I hope to see many of you hoovillians there!

LG: Thanks for the very positive Stock update. Sounds like management is well organized with their plans to re-open by mid-July. However, I'm a doubting Thomas on this one.

LG: Thanks for the very positive Stock update. Sounds like management is well organized with their plans to re-open by mid-July. However, I'm a doubting Thomas on this one.

>LG: Thanks for the very positive Stock update. Sounds like

>management is well organized with their plans to re-open by

>mid-July. However, I'm a doubting Thomas on this one.

I'm a doubting Thomas here as well. Remember when their towncrier DJ prematurely and assertively told everyone Stock would be open by June 24? And before that he affirmatively said May 18? And May 5? This sounds as vaguely familiar as the time they were shut down last year due to the liquor licence.

>LG: Thanks for the very positive Stock update. Sounds like

>management is well organized with their plans to re-open by

>mid-July. However, I'm a doubting Thomas on this one.

I'm a doubting Thomas here as well. Remember when their towncrier DJ prematurely and assertively told everyone Stock would be open by June 24? And before that he affirmatively said May 18? And May 5? This sounds as vaguely familiar as the time they were shut down last year due to the liquor licence.

Guys, have faith! There is a lot of money to be made here, so I think that they will move as fast as they can. You can't ask for more than that.

Hey bigguy, how's your parrot?:)

Guys, have faith! There is a lot of money to be made here, so I think that they will move as fast as they can. You can't ask for more than that.

Hey bigguy, how's your parrot?:)

Archived