Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it.

Talvin DeMachio
This topic is 952 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thanks guys for your input. And I never thought about real estate costs ect.

You poor guys out West are getting ripped off. :(

For me I just go to the nearest gas station down by my apartment here in Alexandria, VA. But I just cannot believe the price differences out west. And the taxes they impose. There should be some kind of limit.

If any one else has comments lets hear about them :)

I hope all of you are doing well.

Talvin

http://www.talvindemachio.com

• 2 years later...

RE: Gas Prices, Hmmmmmmmm

Dude, you psyched me out completely! :o Before I caught the date of these posts (2001) I was thinking What planet are these guys on?

*whistles Twilight Zone theme*

Anyway here in La-La we've been at $2.20 for a while and slowly dropping (I paid $2.03 for regular @ ARCO this morning and was grateful...)

-R

In Houston; once home to the cheapest gas prices in the country the level ranges from $1.65 low grade; $1.74 mid grade; and $1.87 for 98 octane.

I recently returned from a trip to San Francisco and paid $2.49 for 98 octane so I am not complaining too loudly about Houston prices although they certainly seem to be borderline with price gouging.x(

This is exactly why I resurrected this post. Less than 3 years ago gas was $1.07/gallon in Boston, now it is $2.85/gallon in SF.

The price of oil has hit a13-year high.

What a coincidence, wasn't it 13 years ago the last Bush was President?

Guest RandyRon

In southern ILL the price jumps around so much I never know what I'm going to pay. The last time was $1.70 for 87 octane. When I go north to Chicago, I almost go into cardiac arrest. It's always about 60-70 cents more there. One reason for increasing prices is that there are new standards that require the gasoline to be "cleaner." The US doesn't have enough refineries that are set up to produce this type and so we have to import gasoline (rather than oil).

I am not really complaining. Being an old fart, I remember the 70's with long lines at the service stations, odd/even days for buying gasoline, etc. If you take inflation into account, gasoline prices have fallen since then. Also, if you drive an SUV that had a sticker on the window when you bought it telling you that you would only get 14 mpg you have no grounds for griping.

I have just moved from the East coast to the West, and drove across the country last week. I was paying $1.99 for premium in Philadelphia, saw prices drop as low as $1.78 in the deep South, and encountered $2.50 in my new neighborhood gas station in southern California. Time to break out my trusty bicycle.

Guest ilc1980

So IL, huh? I'm near St. Louis myself. The gas prices range from 1.65 to 1.75. What gets me is that the price changes every day and the change can be from 10-15 cents at a time!

HEY TALVIN...

How much is your father paying for gas now? I don't own a car but I see the prices at the pumps in NYC and they're pretty steep. I think it would be cheaper to have a two hour session with you than to fill up a van...and I know I would rather get pumped by you than by Exxon!!!

>Dude, the news today predicts $3/gallon for SoCal coming real

>soon.

Ah, it is already here. Gas on 19th Ave in SF has been personally spotted @ $3.11/Gallon. Someplace in the the Valley is $3.54/gal for premium, seen on Fox News today...

RE: Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it

>How much is your father paying for gas now? I don't own a

>car but I see the prices at the pumps in NYC and they're

>pretty steep. I think it would be cheaper to have a two hour

>session with you than to fill up a van...and I know I would

>rather get pumped by you than by Exxon!!!

Well gas prices here in the DC area vary greatly. DC is about 1.90 a Gallon. Maryland is 1.80 a Gallon and Northern Virginia is 1.70 to 1.75 a gallon. My dad who lives 18 miles south of me is paying 1.66 a gallon. I really feel sorry for the airlines. I can't even imagine what it would be like to fill up one airplane. When I flew back from Spain the other day I was like...I wonder how much it cost them to fill this baby up.

Temple, Georgia has the cheapest gas in the country right now and they stand at 1.29 a gallon. Whew!!! What a difference!

Talvin

http://www.talvindemachio.com

http://www.talvindemachio.com/talweb.jpg http://www.talvindemachio.com/talweba.jpg http://www.talvindemachio.com/talwebb.jpg http://www.talvindemachio.com/talwebc.jpg

How come more people aren't protesting these high prices? I think to myself, if everyone would just cut back by 10 percent in there usage,it would send a strong message. And for most of us would cause little or no inconvenience. Or how about a 1 day boycott where no one would buy any fuel on a specific day. Again for most of us not an inconvenience ,just but the day before or the day after, but I think it would send a message. I know I'm trying to cut back by condensing my trips. I want to concentrate on having sex with hot muscleboys, and not worry about high gas prices.

Guest showme43

Orlando area avg. / reg unleaded running around $1.75...add $.15-20 when you get near Disney.

Been going up a penny or two every 5-7 days it seems for last month or so.

x(

Rick

I just filled up today and was shocked it was so *low*. (And I'm amazed I would use exactly those words in this context.)

I paid $2.29 for regular in Agoura Hills (just outside LA). I was prepared for over $3/gallon from all reports but it wasn't so.

>What is the reason for it being illegal? I've never quite

>understood that.

As I understand it, the NJ Supreme Court ruled, during the 1940's, that pumping your own gas was illegal. It had something to do with a safety. There's an uproar every time the Legislature (prompted by the oil and gas industry, I'm sure) even talks about passing legislation to overturn the ban. They recently floated a trial ballon about doubling the gas tax for mass transit and road improvment projects. Most people here -- including myself -- suspect that the real motive was to also introduce self service. (I.E., Double the gas tax = raise the price of gas; introduce self service = lower the price of gas to pre-tax increase levels.) The uproar was such that they backed off the proposal faster than you can say election year. Call me lazy, but I kind of like the status quo. It's nice not to have to pump your own gas. Especially when it's raining or bitter cold or too hot, etc.

Justice