Said this before and I will say it again...if your listed price is "ask," I will be asking another masseur. Nothing screams "up charging" based on client preference over charging for the work you actually provide like not having a listed price for service. And yes I know I can search the reviews for clues but no thanks. 

Rent Masseur has become much griftier in the last couple of years. If you are a masseur you should have a published base rate

This may just be a difference in massage culture but UK masseurs mostly put ask on their profile so its never bothered me really. 

They tend to have different price points for each massage type and give you the detail of what each massage entails so I guess it makes more sense to put ask as it does depend on what type you choose. 

There's very little up selling during a massage here. 

9 hours ago, RugbyBen said:

This may just be a difference in massage culture but UK masseurs mostly put ask on their profile so its never bothered me really. 

They tend to have different price points for each massage type and give you the detail of what each massage entails so I guess it makes more sense to put ask as it does depend on what type you choose. 

There's very little up selling during a massage here. 

I think this could be because sex work is legal in the UK. You don’t need to hide behind a euphemistic massage therapist label and be coy about rates and services as is necessary in the US where selling sexual services is against the law. Everything can be communicated clearly in a society where attitudes to these things is mature. 

The other reason is the restrictions of RentMasseur’s system. My rates are on my RentMasseur profile but their page doesn’t give much flexibility: just an in call and out call rate. You can’t quote for different durations or styles or services…at least not when I last updated my profile. But I quote more rate details on my website. The thing is, you can put the basics on the website, rates for the different durations etc but clients sometimes want special things like a 4 hands, or their partner to watch, or for me to play a role (e.g. sports coach massaging player after the game and…well you guessed it…the player gets feedback on their game😂) and those things can take extra so for those it’s ’ask me’. 

I think a masseur should post a baseline 60 min incall rate on his RentMasseur ad, perhaps his lowest rate should he offer multiple. A few only offer outcalls. In that case, his base hourly rate should include some nominal amount for travel, and he should make this clear in the ad copy.

Masseurs can specify in the ad that he offers different styles, hot stones, 4-hand, or whatever else and tell the client there that rates vary on factors like travel, modality, etc and prompt the client to ask more about his services for a quote. He need not be completely explicit about anything sexual to get the message across that “we need to talk about what you want” before quoting. The baseline rate signals to the client the minimum he should expect to be paying for an hour of the masseur’s time. That saves time on both sides.

That’s just me. Some clients are more comfortable asking. Many are put off by having to ask. I know I am put off when I see “Ask Me” in a masseur ad. I skip those guys entirely when I am hiring. I like someone straightforward, honest, and fair. “Ask Me” is the first clue that they aren’t what I am looking for. A baseline rate is essential for giving the client some sense of whether he should even bother spending his time engaging the masseur with questions.

Also, if you have “Ask Me” and no other rate info in your ad, you can’t complain about “time wasters” asking too many questions about your rates and your services. You either be upfront in your ad, or be prepared to patiently answer all of your prospective clients’ many questions in a prompt, professional manner. 

I don’t mind providers choosing the "ask" option on RMass since the page doesn't allow for different price options to be displayed. At least MF offers flexibility with different time lengths, but RMass is very restrictive. A one-size-fits-all pricing approach isn’t realistic.