Netflix criticized for ‘Queering’ Alexander The Great!

WWW.FORBES.COM

A Netflix docuseries portrays Alexander the Great as having had same-sex relations, which experts say is possible based on historical evidence—but they say he...

OP note: there's clear evidence he was gay or at least bi.... just like everyone else in ancient Greece at the time!

25 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

OP note: there's clear evidence he was gay or at least bi.... just like everyone else in ancient Greece at the time!

How old do you want to live to be?

Not so old that I forget I drew the same comic strip 6 weeks apart...

2549635.gif

2629831.gif

Or posted the same topic one year apart.  I miss @avalon.

• 1 month later...

I've read quite a few books on Alexander too, as well as other documentaries, and he was either gay or on the gay end of bi. He definitely had a romantic relationship with his best friend Hephaestion - he went apeship when Hephaestion died (the funeral mentioned above was so big even some modern historians were confused on why he did it), and drank himself to death shortly afterwards.

And yes, Richard the Lionhearted was probably gay, and Frederick the Great wrote himself that he was. Then again, these conquerors weren't always shining examples of humanity.

19 hours ago, DrownedBoy said:

I've read quite a few books on Alexander too, as well as other documentaries, and he was either gay or on the gay end of bi

If you're a fan of classical Greek history, then you should realize that this concept of "gay" / bi and "straight" didn't exist 2400 years ago.

Human sexuality was merely accepted as fluid and people had relationships outside of marriage ( which was a PROPERTY RIGHTS contract...not a love bond) all the time.

Alexander the Great was most likely "gender blind" which is the state of sexuality where by you fall in love with the PERSON not the PARTS.

Being an army man, his time was spent more commonly among other men and the bonds of brotherhood in the battlefield can be very intense. That bond would naturally lead to physical affection when today's homophobic prejudice is removed from the formula.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

If you're a fan of classical Greek history, then you should realize that this concept of "gay" / bi and "straight" didn't exist 2400 years ago.

Human sexuality was merely accepted as fluid and people had relationships outside of marriage ( which was a PROPERTY RIGHTS contract...not a love bond) all the time.

Alexander the Great was most likely "gender blind" which is the state of sexuality where by you fall in love with the PERSON not the PARTS.

Being an army man, his time was spent more commonly among other men and the bonds of brotherhood in the battlefield can be very intense. That bond would naturally lead to physical affection when today's homophobic prejudice is removed from the formula.

Agreed!

We must avoid presentism when studying history because it's a form of cultural bias and creates a distorted understanding of a subject. Example: to us slavery is a monstrosity while for many before us it was not only legal but also a morally acceptable institution. 

Edited by marylander1940