And now, the end is near...

samhexum

I shop at Total Wine because it happens to be the only local store that carries the lesser-known brand of Scotch that my spouse prefers. But I also wonder who buys their enormous selection of wines and other alcoholic beverages, although I have never found the store empty of customers.

I know it is a sign of my age, but I almost never shop for anything online, although I may search for info about it that way. I like to see and touch the things I purchase before I pay for them--I don't want to buy something, wait for it to be shipped, open the package and discover it is not really what I wanted, and have to ship it back if they have a return policy.

Edited by Charlie

59 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I like to see and touch the things I purchase before I pay for them--I don't want to buy something, wait for it to be shipped, open the package and discover it is not really what I wanted, and have to ship it back if they have a return policy.

Many consumers on this site have similar feelings about the packages they order.

Yeah Sear’s was super reliable. I think I have feather pillows and other items as well, and when they merged with shop your way rewards it was easy to get some great deals. 

Another store I like that has somewhat scaled back over the years but remains in biz: is Burlington (used to be “coat factory”). It’s hard not to walk in there and not buy something. Clothing and coat quality/selection though isn’t too great. It’s generally overstocked or undersold stuff you’d see at places like “Orlando premium outlets” or similar type of places. I’ll buy the occasional workout clothes, home goods and luggage. But I brought a Tommy coat from Macys and the quality is different than the Tommy coats at Burlington.

Oh yeah I have an iron from Sears from years ago too: that thing has stood the test of time. It gets steams the wrinkles out of anything. I used to travel with it because I got tired of crusty hotel irons, but it’s just too heavy to carry around and I don’t iron much lol. It would be nice if Walmart or Target brought out and merged with Sears: as we’ve seen with certain hotel chains.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, dbar123 said:

I miss the Sears tool and automotive departments.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:06 AM, rvwnsd said:

They had even higher standards for merchandise sold under their own brands like Craftsman and Kenmore. Unfortunately, that went away when they decided to cut costs. Not surprisingly, the quality dipped

Free DieHard Car Battery at Advanced Auto Parts

Free DieHard Car Battery at Advanced Auto Parts

"On National Battery Day, Sunday, Feb. 18, Advance will surprise randomly selected customers with a free DieHard® battery, including those getting their current battery tested, at participating stores nationwide. As part of National Battery Day, Advance is partnering with pro football star quarterback Baker Mayfield to encourage motorists to get their car batteries tested."

Somewhere deep in my garage (not a metaphor) I saved a weekly ad from a long defunct department store called Stage. The male underwear model had the most gigantic areolas of anyone I'd ever seen modeling clothes. They took up a much larger than normal percentage of his sculpted, golden buff chest.

AZDR, if I run across it, I'll bring it with the next time I see you so you can use your scanning skills. I think I pleasured myself to this guy just about as much as the very old Big 5 Sporting Goods ad that had the ripped stud in the genital-hugging red Speedo, although that may have been an artist's talented work rather than an actual person!

• 4 weeks later...

In Flatbush, plans to restore art deco Sears building move forward

Art deco towers inscribed with the name “Sears Roebuck and Co.” in big bold letters at their apex are common sights throughout the U.S. The city of Hackensack, New Jersey, has one; and so does Boyle Heights, Los Angeles; Midtown Minneapolis; and many others. These buildings stand as harbingers of a bygone era before the shopping mall, when American consumers wined-and-dined along Main Street, not off of the side of highways.

Today, many of these handsome buildings stand empty thanks to shifts in consumer and transportation patterns, and building owners struggle to find anchor tenants. What should we do with them?

In Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood, a New York developer has plans to renovate a landmarked Sears Roebuck building that’s been vacant for years, not far from the iconic Kings Theater (1929). Clipper Equity, a real estate group led by David Bistricher, recently secured $24 million to finance the preservation of Flatbush’s Sears building, completed in 1932.

Flatbush’s Sears building sits on the corner of Bedford Avenue and Beverly Road. Like many of its counterparts around the country, the Flatbush tower was designed by Nimmons, Carr & Wright—a Chicago firm. Alton L. Craft of New York City was the local architect.

When the building opened in 1932, it was such a grand affair, Eleanor Roosevelt gave opening remarks to christen the structure, and then purchased “a pair of baby booties” according to The Brooklyn Eagle. In 1940, four new bays along Beverly Road were added to the 100-foot tower, along with additional square footage in the rear.

In 2012, Flatbush’s Sears tower was designated as a protected city landmark. Flash forward to 2018: That year, Sears filed for bankruptcy, and the flagship department store company had a fire sale on all of its goods inside the building. Signs reading EVERYTHING MUST GO! quickly populated the ground level. Transformco, a hedge fund, subsequently bought Sears’s assets for $5.2 billion. This gave the hedge fund all 700 properties in Sears’s portfolio, including the Flatbush property.

Two years later, COVID-19 struck, and the parking lot outside the Sears building was converted into a makeshift vaccination center. Then in 2021, the Brooklyn building closed its doors to customers, marking the closure of the chain’s last brick-and-mortar retail outpost in New York City. Transformco then announced its plans to work with Clipper Equity to convert the building into housing and commercial space.

With this recent $24 million acquisition, Clipper Equity wants to renovate all four floors of the Flatbush tower. Their goal is to lease the renewed interiors to office and/or grocery store tenants. Eventually, Clipper Equity hopes to redevelop the entire block surrounding the Sears tower through the ground-up construction of 900 residential units on the block and lot.

WWW.ARCHPAPER.COM

Developer Clipper Equity plans to restore the art deco Sears Roebuck & Co. building located in Flatbush...

The Sears in Hackensack, NJ, (mentioned above) was the one that I referenced in my earlier post, within walking distance of my grandparents' apartment. It was in the same mall with Packard Bamberger, the WalMart grocery supermarket of it's day.