I gave a gift card as a gratuity, or so I thought.

Fortunately, this year on sales racks, the "loaded credit" cards clearly state THIS IS NOT A GIFT CARD. I wish those were on these imposters from the get-go. I bought one last year and gave it to a provider, assuming I was purchasing a gift card. Then, to my horror, I received a different card in the mail with that same account number! Now over a year later, I called to check the balance, and it was unused. Mailing the gift card to this guy is an obvious no-no, as any mail contact with any provider is highly inexcusable, since I'm a stranger.

If the rare circumstance would find me in his presence again (due to his distant location, not because of my experience), should I give him the same gift and explain what happened, chalk it up to a $25 loss, or do nothing and use it for myself, since he'd likely never know?

I don't know how any of this works, but in regards to the provider, perhaps you could contact him via the same channel you booked him and explain briefly that you intended a gratuity that didn't go through, how can you get it to him?  He'll likely appreciate a Venmo or whatever, but it's his choice.

12 hours ago, viewing ownly said:

Fortunately, this year on sales racks, the "loaded credit" cards clearly state THIS IS NOT A GIFT CARD. I wish those were on these imposters from the get-go. I bought one last year and gave it to a provider, assuming I was purchasing a gift card. Then, to my horror, I received a different card in the mail with that same account number! Now over a year later, I called to check the balance, and it was unused. Mailing the gift card to this guy is an obvious no-no, as any mail contact with any provider is highly inexcusable, since I'm a stranger.

If the rare circumstance would find me in his presence again (due to his distant location, not because of my experience), should I give him the same gift and explain what happened, chalk it up to a $25 loss, or do nothing and use it for myself, since he'd likely never know?

I'd try a different gift, maybe a more specific gift card that is specifically identified as such. Glad there was no harm done, but please, read the label before purchasing or giving things away.

I wouldn’t fret over something a year old.  As far as mailing things, I don’t think it’s that unusual?  Several providers mailed me gifts this year, I have their addresses as well.  I guess I’ve known most of mine for quite a few years though.   

That makes sense then, Thelatin, as you know these people well enough to be on a social, card exchange basis. I've only seen this person once.

All the advice has been helpful. Leaving well enough alone with the provider as well as the card seems to be the right move here, so the card will just empty itself of the load eventually. Yes, I just typed that, and sorry, CuriousByNature, not with THIS card. 😄