Hollywood Reporter lists '10 Best Movies' of 2023

Ali Gator

6 minutes ago, nycman said:

I loved parts of Saltburn. 

Overall it’s a bit strained and a "B+" in my book, but parts of it are spectacular.

Agree.  Parts were inspired.  Very few parts, but they're there.

The movie pandered and that became annoying as it went on. 

I wanted to see more of the writing given to Rosamund Pike, who delivered it like a fucking pro.  She knew the assignment.

18 hours ago, TonyDown said:

The gossip rags claim Timothee Chalamet was considered for the lead in Saltburn.  If so, I believe he dodged a bullet.   I thought it was awful.

I thought the casting was great, as well as the film overall. I agree with @nycman B+  I don't see Chalamet convincing me that he's a young aristocrat. 

To me the film was Brideshead Revisited meets Running with Scissors 

29 minutes ago, Simon Suraci said:

I like The Talented Mr Ripley, both the book series and film. Gotta check out Saltburn, then.

Off topic I know. But I remember having a probably unhealthy obsession of my own in college with the blond stud muffin guy in my frat. Nothing to the level of these two movies, but I would take any opportunity to be around the guy. We became friendly, if not friends. Once, to my great surprise, we ended up walking together alone through a wooded area of my college town. He jumped up an embankment, then became a little worried about how he was gonna get down. I looked up at those dreamy blue eyes and replied, "Don't worry, I'll catch you." He then jumped down and, for a brief moment, was in my arms. My left hand had caught him at his navel, and I remember lingering there as long as I dared on that glorious treasure trail. The moment was over and that was that. But the memory of that brief touch stayed with me for years.

• 2 weeks later...