Pope Blesses Same Sex Unions

Luv2play

1 hour ago, Jamie21 said:

I really don’t care what the Pope thinks, says or does. He’s only the Pope because people make him so. I don’t accept that he has any say whether a man can marry another man. The Church (any Church) only exists because some people want to exert control over others using things like threats, coercion, stories, social control and guilt. 

What the Pope says or does doesn't matter to me personally either, but I do care about it because it affects the lives of millions of people around the world who (for whatever reason) look to him for moral guidance.  I am hopeful that this spirit of openness continues, and that those who have used dogmatic reasoning to prop up their discrimination of others will have a weaker and weaker foundation to base those biases upon.  But maybe I am too idealistic and hopeful?  

53 minutes ago, Km411 said:

From my perspective, the problem isn’t just that it happened, but that it was allowed to happen and then covered up. To make matters worse, they slow-rolled child protections, shielded assets needed to compensate victims, failed to hold church leadership accountable, penalized whistleblowers, and on and on. I’m not a victim, but the church will find no forgiveness here. Some general apology 200 hundred years from now (as in the case of so many of the church’s other atrocities) just isn’t going to fly with me. I don’t see anything of Christ in this church. I guess I’m really pissed off about this….

I think everyone should be really pissed off about hypocrisy, and the harm that has been done to so many who have been abused.  I am not Catholic, but I have known quite few people who are pretty devout, including members of the clergy.  All of them have been horrified by the abuses that have happened, and are thankful it has come to light so that it can be acknowledged and addressed.  Unfortunately it has not come to light in many, many of the religious and secular organizations where abuses like these, and others, continue to happen on a daily basis.  Any organization that is built on hierarchical power differentials runs the risk of attracting predators - particularly in organizations that have a public face of innocence and trustworthiness.  It sadly is happening everywhere - from churches to mosques, from colleges to hospitals, from public schools to local gyms.  

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Can someone explain the difference between "blessing" and "sanctifying"?

Thank you!  😇

I'm sure there are others much more familiar than I am, but I'll give it a shot :)

I think that sanctifying something means to set it apart, or elevate it as something holy, whereas blessing is seeking to add God's (or any divine entity's) favour to something or someone.   Sanctification is transformative for whatever or whoever is being sanctified, whereas blessing does not necessarily result in a transformation.  Blessing confers or invokes heavenly favour as a means of bringing happiness and purpose to the person or thing being blessed.  For example, saying grace before a meal is a blessing that expresses thankfulness for the food and seeks God's favour to make it beneficial to those consuming it, but it does not transform the meal into something holy.   

That said, some pizzas I've eaten have bordered on divine experiences... LOL

Edited by CuriousByNature

On 12/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, pubic_assistance said:

The only way to end the massive problem with child molestation amongst Catholic Priests is to normalize them and allow them to have adult relationships. Gay or straight. I hope recognition of same sex couples could include members of their own clergy. 

I don't think marriage is the "solution" to child abuse.

I have knowledge of 2 married fathers in my social group who abused their own daughters, and I served on a jurry for a married father accused of sexual abusing his daughter as well.  None of them were Catholic (trying to keep this relevant to the topic).

I am gay and single.  The ability to marry or not to marry does not affect my decision/desire to not molest children.  Getting married won't change that.

I applaud the decision of the church.  It's a step in the right direction.  If it helps its members love their neighbors, then I'm for it.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
It's to its

On 12/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, pubic_assistance said:

The only way to end the massive problem with child molestation amongst Catholic Priests is to normalize them and allow them to have adult relationships. Gay or straight. I hope recognition of same sex couples could include members of their own clergy. 

Adults do not sexually abuse children for lack of adult alternatives. They abuse children because of a mental pathology which is resistant to quick or easy remedy. Some men afflicted with the pathology are attracted to the priesthood because it provides both a cloak of respectability as well as easy access to potential victims. Being able to marry will not cure them of the pathology.