Meghan McCain threatens to sue former "View" cohosts for slander

Ali Gator

“I don’t understand why my former colleagues @TheView @ABC bring me up and slander me on an almost weekly basis,” McCain tweeted a few hours after the show aired. “It has been years - move on, I have.”

“I have never been accused of a crime in my life and am a patriotic American - I would never and have never ‘influenced peddled’ in my life, let alone with foreign adversaries,” she added. “Not all politicians children are the same - and I am no Hunter Biden. All accusations are absurd, defamatory and slanderous. I will be consulting my lawyers regarding what was libeled against me on The View this morning.”

McCain was referring to comments made by current co-host Ana Navarro during a segment about the Republican Party’s relentless campaign to smear President Joe Biden with the actions of his son Hunter.

“Did Hunter Biden influence peddle on his last name? Yes he did! So did half of Washington,” Navarro said. She then appeared to catch her co-hosts off guard when she added, “People at this table did it!”

Asked for clarification by McCain’s de facto replacement Alyssa Farah Griffin, Navarro explained, “I’m not talking about currently.”

At that moment, the reaction around the table made it clear they knew which U.S. senator’s daughter Navarro was talking about—even if they declined to make it explicit for the audience.

That means McCain was the first to directly connect the comments made on the show to herself, which could complicate her proposed attempt to claim libel.

WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

After Ana Navarro implied that a former co-host “influenced peddled” on her last name, Meghan McCain fired back on Twitter.

Libel requires a written or symbolic defamation which is proveably untrue and which causes damage to the reputation of the subject named.  

Slander is a verbal defamation.   So she was correct using slander until she stated that she would contact a lawyer about "what was libeled against me"  

However since her name was never mentioned, there is no chance that she would win if indeed the case ever got to court.  

On the other hand, she may have slandered Hunter Biden IF he is not proven to have influence peddled.   

Quite frankly, Ms. McCain was probably one of less than 100 viewers who even recall  her being on the panel, let alone connected these particular catty dots.  

Navarro never liked McCain on the panel, and the two of them exchanged a few (verbal) blows on the show the seasons McCain was on. Since she left the show three years ago, Navarro keeps taking these jabs at her every so often (seems like very often the past few months). She doesn't identify her, though the 'info' she gives is clearly aimed at her.