Climate Activists disrupt Tannhauser opening night

TruHart1

In the middle of the second act of Tannhauser at the Metropolitan Opera last night, climate activists disrupted the performance by lowering a banner from the top balcony seating and yelling. The performance was stopped for a bit less than half an hour while the activists were ejected by police! Afterward, the performance picked up where it was interrupted and continued to the end of the opera!

HYPERALLERGIC.COM

“No opera on a dead planet,” shouted the protesters during the second act of Wagner’s Tannhäuser at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.

1 hour ago, TruHart1 said:

In the middle of the second act of Tannhauser at the Metropolitan Opera last night, climate activists disrupted the performance by lowering a banner from the top balcony seating and yelling. The performance was stopped for a bit less than half an hour while the activists were ejected by police! Afterward, the performance picked up where it was interrupted and continued to the end of the opera!

HYPERALLERGIC.COM

“No opera on a dead planet,” shouted the protesters during the second act of Wagner’s Tannhäuser at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.

Are opera performers known for their anti-planet ways to justify this? I hope every attendee takes every person involved with disrupting the program for everything they got in court. Just outrageous.

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

Are opera performers known for their anti-planet ways to justify this? I hope every attendee takes every person involved with disrupting the program for everything they got in court. Just outrageous.

Yeah, never thought of opera as particularly harmful to the environment.  When climate activists brainstorm and strategize on how to help their cause, it amazes me that stunts like this is what they come up with.

18 minutes ago, BSR said:

Yeah, never thought of opera as particularly harmful to the environment.  When climate activists brainstorm and strategize on how to help their cause, it amazes me that stunts like this is what they come up with.

Things like this happening are just so bad all the way around on so many levels. It's as if some kind of reverse psychology is going on. Was this some kind of ploy to get people to talk about the opera when otherwise they wouldn't. Hmmm. After all, I am right now. Not a protester. 😑

I feel as if this may have been chosen as a venue for protest because there was a large audience, all of whom would hear their yelled protests. Listening to the Sirius broadcast from last night’s performance, once the protesters began trying to express their reasons by yelling that there would be no opera on a dead earth, etc., I could hear a very large number of the audience begin booing and shouting loudly at the protesters to shut up and stop their disruptions!

A more up to date article reporting on this says, “In a statement, the protesters, ‘Extinction Rebellion,’ said the demonstration was timed to coincide with the main character’s declaration that ‘love is a spring to be drunk from.’” That seems incorrect, though, because, if I’m not mistaken, the character singing at the moment of the protesters’ disruption was Wolfram, the baritone, rather than Tannhauser, the tenor and main character!

TruHart1 😎

Peter Gelb is all about publicity and get the Met talked about and mentioned in the press.  He probably enjoyed the protest.  He doesn't give a damn about singing.  The Metropolitan Opera is "Sony Upper West Side" since he brought all his cronies from Sony Records to the Met

Edited by sutherland
typo

13 hours ago, TruHart1 said:

I feel as if this may have been chosen as a venue for protest because there was a large audience, all of whom would hear their yelled protests. Listening to the Sirius broadcast from last night’s performance, once the protesters began trying to express their reasons by yelling that there would be no opera on a dead earth, etc., I could hear a very large number of the audience begin booing and shouting loudly at the protesters to shut up and stop their disruptions!

A more up to date article reporting on this says, “In a statement, the protesters, ‘Extinction Rebellion,’ said the demonstration was timed to coincide with the main character’s declaration that ‘love is a spring to be drunk from.’” That seems incorrect, though, because, if I’m not mistaken, the character singing at the moment of the protesters’ disruption was Wolfram, the baritone, rather than Tannhauser, the tenor and main character!

TruHart1 😎

I haven't listened to the broadcast, but it is Tannhauser who sings (in a rough translation of the German text) that "love is a spring to be drunk from" in contradiction of Wolfram's characterization of true love as a pure spring which shouldn't be defiled by drinking (i.e., sex). Given that they are singing in opposition to one another at that point, it's quite probable that the demonstration broke out as Wolfram was reacting to Tannhauser.

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

I haven't listened to the broadcast, but it is Tannhauser who sings (in a rough translation of the German text) that "love is a spring to be drunk from" in contradiction of Wolfram's characterization of true love as a pure spring which shouldn't be defiled by drinking (i.e., sex). Given that they are singing in opposition to one another at that point, it's quite probable that the demonstration broke out as Wolfram was reacting to Tannhauser.

I’m not THAT familiar with the Tannhauser libretto since I listen to Wagner mainly for the singers’ vocal technique and any nuances in interpretation they might add (that music is quite difficult to sing!) In reviewing the broadcast, the singer who sang BEFORE Tannhauser’s Paeon to sensual love was the singer interrupted by the first yell from the protesters. If Wolfram sings in answer AFTER Tannhauser, then the protesters definitely jumped the gun!

A side comment: after listening to a broadcast of Jonas Kaufmann singing Tannhauser during his debut of the role at the Salzburg Easter Festival back in March of 2023, I find most interpreters I hear now lacking in their interpretation of the role. Just my opinion, though. 🙂

TruHart1 😎

15 minutes ago, TruHart1 said:

I’m not THAT familiar with the Tannhauser libretto since I listen to Wagner mainly for the singers’ vocal technique and any nuances in interpretation they might add (that music is quite difficult to sing!) In reviewing the broadcast, the singer who sang BEFORE Tannhauser’s Paeon to sensual love was the singer interrupted by the first yell from the protesters. If Wolfram sings in answer AFTER Tannhauser, then the protesters definitely jumped the gun!

A side comment: after listening to a broadcast of Jonas Kaufmann singing Tannhauser during his debut of the role at the Salzburg Easter Festival back in March of 2023, I find most interpreters I hear now lacking in their interpretation of the role. Just my opinion, though. 🙂

TruHart1 😎

The singers are responding to Landgraf Hermann's request that they explain the nature of "love." Wolfram sings first. The text is not exactly normal German speech--in fact, Wolfram's initial metaphor for love is actually an archaic term for a fountain or spring, which he praises in rhymed couplets--so translations into colloquial English are pretty variable. Wolfram says he wouldn't dare pollute the fountain by tasting it, i.e., having carnal relations, while Tannhauser responds that he wouldn't hesitate to cool his burning lips from the fountain, and in the ensuing interchange between him, Wolfram, Walter and Biterolf, he admits that he has been getting it on with Venus, who is an actual character in the story. If the demonstrators started during Wolfram's initial reference to the "spring" or "fountain," then they were jumping the gun. They probably didn't know German, and as soon as they heard the word "Bronnen" or "Brunnen," they thought that was the signal. They may not have even understood which singer was which character.

1 hour ago, nycman said:

The only thing worse than going to the Opera….

Is listening to people talk about going to the Opera.

Tired Season 1 GIF by BET Plus

Reminds me of a story told by Clarence Thomas (not political, just giving names to show it was an actual conversation) ...

When Antonin Scalia asked Thomas if he wanted to go to the opera, Thomas declined.

Scalia asked, "Why not?  You don't like opera?"

Thomas responded, "I like opera.  But I don't like people who like opera."

Edited by BSR
Typo

I studied German with a German professor who loved opera, so he often incorporated it into the course. One semester Tannhauser was one of the works we studied. Long afterwards, I learned that he was gay, and that he used to throw parties at his home for certain male students. I felt insulted that I was never invited to his own little Venusberg, though I'm sure I would have been uncomfortable in that situation, since I found him physically repulsive.

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

I studied German with a German professor who loved opera, so he often incorporated it into the course. One semester Tannhauser was one of the works we studied. Long afterwards, I learned that he was gay, and that he used to throw parties at his home for certain male students. I felt insulted that I was never invited to his own little Venusberg, though I'm sure I would have been uncomfortable in that situation, since I found him physically repulsive.

Thanks @Charlie for your expertise in German, and for keeping to the topic.

Although the protest at the MET was definitely political, I personally just found it interesting that they chose the Metropolitan Opera as a venue to stage it, interrupting a relatively long performance.

I certainly never thought we’d have a non-political joke naming a very politicized SCOTUS justice, though apolitically, both Scalia and RB Ginsberg were known to attend operas together often.

I also never anticipated a discussion of opera listener boredom in a thread on the forum created specifically for discussing the musical art! No one is ever forced to read any thread in any topic here, after all! Sometimes the way topics on the Company of Men forum discussions meander is fascinating.

LOL!!!

As for your German professor, he may have physically turned you off, but most of us want/need to be desired, so finding out about his “little Venusberg” parties later and feeling left out because you were never invited is completely natural.

TruHart1 😎

1 hour ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I'm all for kicking them out as quickly as possibly of course but the way these ushers are talking to her was very uncalled for. No need to be screaming f bombs in her face. Just an orderly let's go please would suffice and she wasn't resisting leaving.

If the climate protester was offended by all the f-bombs, tough sh*t.  But if the Met patrons were offended by the salty language, then I agree -- the f-bombs were unnecessary.

Did the protesters succeed in moving the needle on climate issues even 1 nanometer?  No, of course not.  In fact, this stunt probably hurt their cause.  Unfortunately, they will never see that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 10:54 PM, TruHart1 said:

HYPERALLERGIC.COM

If Bozo ruled the world, each and every one of these climate disrupters would serve jail time for their shenanigans. AND they would be fed an all cabbage and bean diet (with some cauliflower and kale thrown in for variety).
The pollutants caused by the methane and carbon dioxide gaseous emissions, resulting from an all cruciferous vegetable diet, would serve as even further punishment and deterrent from further similar actions.
Perhaps we could put all of the disrupters in adjoining cells. They could toot out a few operatic melodies together?  Or Play Name That Tune (I could name that opera in 5 notes!)? The operatic possibilities are endless......

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN